Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

New to Qantas

I just booked a few first class award ticket From LAX to SDY on QF #108 and return on QF #11. Just a few questions. How does Qantas first class compare with Cathy Pacific and JAL? I believe both aircraft are 747-400. Are they first class suites or simply seats that fold down? Good for sleeping, private, etc.. Is there an actual lounge on the plane?

Does Qantas have a first class lounge at LAX or do you simply use the AA Admirlas club?

What is the standard meal service on these flights? Are there any plans to rotate the new A380 into this route? If so, any idea when?

Thanks for the insight.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Privilege Elite, Velocity Platinum
Originally Posted by spaley
I just booked a few first class award ticket From LAX to SDY on QF #108 and return on QF #11. Just a few questions. How does Qantas first class compare with Cathy Pacific and JAL? I believe both aircraft are 747-400. Are they first class suites or simply seats that fold down? Good for sleeping, private, etc.. Is there an actual lounge on the plane?

Does Qantas have a first class lounge at LAX or do you simply use the AA Admirlas club?

What is the standard meal service on these flights? Are there any plans to rotate the new A380 into this route? If so, any idea when?

Thanks for the insight.
Hi,

When are you travelling? It's possible that you will get the A380 on at least one leg of your route, but it depends on when you're flying.

QF offer a lie-flat bed on the 744's, the suite is really A380 territory, but having flown only J on QF.. someone else is probably better equipped than I to answer!
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

i am traveling August 2009. I just noticed that the return flight, QF 11 is an A380 with the suites. Any idea if the QF#108 LAX-SYD will be swapped out to an A380 between now and August?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
If you want to get an idea of the hard first products then check out QF's standard First Class here ...

...and the A380 First Class Suite here.

Never flown First Class here before but have a look at some of the recent Trip Reports in F on QF to get an idea of regular travellers personal opinions and comparisons.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... Does Qantas have a first class lounge at LAX or do you simply use the AA Admirlas club? ...
QF108 will depart TBIT (has since Oct 1) - there is a oneworld First Class lounge there.

The is also a very nice First Class lounge in SYD.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 7:15 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
QF meals are tending to be better than CX's offerings. Both offer a caviar plate for starters - the CX one is an exercise in refinement, perfection and artistry but the QF offering is more substantial and satisfying.

When comparing the old layouts, CX has 12 seats whereas QF has 14. The new CX layout is better still. CX will substitute aircraft at short notice so if you think you have the new fitout (74A), this may change to the oldier (74J) - but only after its too late to make a change .

If your CX F seat is broken (ie fails to recline - or only reclines with brute force and 2 people to pull, push and pursuade it), CX give $250 in Duty Free vouchers.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

Thanks for the insight.
QF's 747 first class is nice, but not as nice as the new first class on some other carriers. Also not as nice as QFs new first class. There is no lounge on the plane. Some airline who had lounges are actually getting rid of it, QF will introduce a J lounge on the A380.

In terms of lounge, QF uses the oneworld Lounge at TBIT (from where you will depart) which has a nice first class section. The Admirals Club in T4 is actually a joined Admirals Club / Qantas Club (this is why it is so nice compared to other AClubs) and has an okay first class section as well (Flagship Lounge).
Old Oct 7, 2008, 8:56 pm

QF only offers Caviar on QF1 to Bangkok.

The first class menu is getting a big revamp in just 2 days. I'll be posting a copy then!! Not only will the options out of Australia be 1st class but QF has sourced equivalent suppliers around it's network to provide customers the best out of every port, not just Australia.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 8:58 pm

double post
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:55 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eoinnz

The first class menu is getting a big revamp in just 2 days. I'll be posting a copy then!! Not only will the options out of Australia be 1st class but QF has sourced equivalent suppliers around it's network to provide customers the best out of every port, not just Australia.
Ahhh does the J menu get a working over as well ?
Old Oct 8, 2008, 3:22 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer

In terms of lounge, QF uses the oneworld Lounge at TBIT (from where you will depart) which has a nice first class section. The Admirals Club in T4 is actually a joined Admirals Club / Qantas Club (this is why it is so nice compared to other AClubs) and has an okay first class section as well (Flagship Lounge).
I'll take the TBIT lounge over the T4 one anyday (wouldn't have said that a few years ago!).

Better food, better atmosphere, better shower suites.

Although to be fair, the T4 lounge does at least offer Salt & Vinegar chips....
Old Oct 8, 2008, 4:07 am

Programs: QF SQ VS
Originally Posted by eoinnz

With a bit of luck they will have dumped most of the stuff that dill Neil Perry puts out. I'm sick of his "asian inspired" menu......not everyone wants asian style.

Maybe when I'm travelling F in Feb I wont go hungry as I did last time.

HVB
Old Oct 8, 2008, 5:29 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by HVB3172
With a bit of luck they will have dumped most of the stuff that dill Neil Perry puts out. I'm sick of his "asian inspired" menu......not everyone wants asian style.

Maybe when I'm travelling F in Feb I wont go hungry as I did last time.
Bring on the changes QF!

In comparison, as much as UA has its problems, their F meals are not one of them - at least in terms of a tasty and filling meal goes. A good slab of steak, mound of potatoes and some other veges with a salad thats more than just a couple of green leaves. Now if you want to kill the passion of a UA F meal experience, just drink their finest of pre-flight champagnes served in a plastic "glass" and do without the PJs.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

For those who have flown in 1st on both the 744 as well as the a380, which one do you prefer and why?

Is the service in the league of Cathy Pacific?
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
No one has yet flown QF A380 F on a scheduled pax service (starts 20 October). I have flown it on a special promotional flight (see my report), but of course service & amenities were different from a normal flight.

The QF F hard product on A380 is better than on 747.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.