Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today's QF 4 redirected to Fiji?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2008, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Today's QF 4 redirected to Fiji?

With my well-documented "heightened anxiety issues" regarding flying and the fact I will be travelling on this exact flight from HNL to SYD in 3 weeks from today, just wondered if anyone "in the know" has any further details regarding this?

According to a flight tracker ( dep HNL on 6th Sep due to date-line) it has been diverted to Fiji.
Just wondered if it was another safety concern/engine problem etc ( to further fuel my nerves) or just to avoid bad weather perhaps??
Old Sep 6, 2008, 9:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Could (most likely in the absence of other info) just be for extra fuel. Decent tailwinds heading eastward across the Tasman today.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Curiosity (/Anxiety) got the better of me yesterday so I phoned Qantas...and was informed it was diverted due to a "toilet incident"!
Phew. Much better for my nerves than, say, an engine malfunction.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I wonder, another Ralph Fienes (sp) 'toilet incident'???
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by MetroAir
I wonder, another Ralph Fienes (sp) 'toilet incident'???
Thanks for the laugh!
Can someone confirm if the original incident involved a QF NZ-based staffer? It's only Monday, so time for such a QF redirect story!
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Ex QF NZ as posted by another ex QF NZ staffer ...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=18
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:12 am

We were onboard the redirected flight from Hawaii to Sydney. The toilets broke down about 10 minutes after we left Honolulu, leaving I think only 1 toilet for all of all economy. As you can imagine, the lines for the loo during the flight were lengthy! As we approached Fiji we were told we had to make an unscheduled stop because the only remaining toilet was in danger of blocking too. After a 45min stop in Fiji we left for Sydney, only to find that the toilets re-blocked 10 minutes into the 4 1/2 hour Fiji-Sydney leg. We finally arrived in Sydney 3 hours later than scheduled. Although it was rather uncomfortable waiting in the toilet line on board, I would rather us be diverted because of a toilet blockage than a mechanical problem. Pity there were no plumbers on board!!!
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks jend for the update.
Being a nervous flier but frequent traveller, each time I go overseas I tend to keep an eye on things in the weeks leading up to my flight!!
What an unpleasant end to a Hawaiian vacation! But I have to agree with you, I too would prefer any toilet problem over anything mechanical mid-flight.
Glad you got home safely ( albeit with one very uncomfortable bladder!)
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:12 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
I think the moral of the story is to go before you get on

(something about Qantas, Hawaii and toilets!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.