Search

Qantas Toilet Trouble

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Red face Qantas Toilet Trouble

A non-story but I guess Fairfax journalists are desperate to write anything they can on QF this week.

QF183 SYD-ZQN

Qantas passengers in toilet turmoil[SMH]
A Qantas customer was forced to urinate in a sick bag after the airline refused to let passengers out of their seats during an extended landing.

Flight QF183 heading from Sydney to Queenstown, New Zealand, was diverted to Christchurch three hours into the journey due to bad weather.

The plane had to circle around the airport before landing, with passengers forced to stay in their seats.

...Richard Donald, said passengers had to wait for more than an hour without being able to move.

"It was a smooth flight up and there was no reason to keep everyone waiting for so long, but the pilot kept the lights on and wouldn't let anyone get out of their seat... And then, when we finally did touch down, there was a rush to the loos. The lines were about 10 to 15 long on either side.

"There was a lady behind me screaming, 'I have to go to the toilet' and then I saw a man doing his business in one of the airline sick bags."

Last edited by BiziBB; Jul 30, 2008 at 11:23 pm Reason: ZQN!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:42 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Personally, I always try to avoid the Apple Juice - especially if it's warm!!

BD
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:06 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Actually no one was forced to urinate in a sick bag!
The passenger chose too.
Get a bit tired of Fairfax continually beating up on Qantas.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 1:23 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by rick253
Actually no one was forced to urinate in a sick bag!
The passenger chose too.
Well, he was forced by nature and circumstances, including a perhaps over-cautious pilot, to pee somewhere!
Old Jul 31, 2008, 1:41 am

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by rick253
Get a bit tired of Fairfax continually beating up on Qantas.
Just wait until some of the other media outlets get a hold of this one - I can't wait to see the headlines..
Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:01 am

Obviously the pilot thought there was the potential for turbulence, so the sign went on. It's not like the flight crew are going "Yeah, let's see if we can get someone to pee in a sick bag hehehehehe".

Another media beatup. Can't wait till things return to normal.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:01 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Always go before you go!

I NEVER get in a car, aeroplane or elevator with a full bladder. Never - that's just asking for trouble.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:12 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by shillard
Always go before you go!

I NEVER get in a car, aeroplane or elevator with a full bladder. Never - that's just asking for trouble.
Only someone who doesn't live in a high rise can make such a statement....
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:15 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Always go before you go!
Way to go. BUT, a thorough session in the QP will see a need for a pee not much after the pre departure pee.

Or is this just a conspiracy theory because there was no catering loaded and the captain just chose the rough flight levels to stop the FAs distributing nothing but apologies?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The article doesn't say when it was, but lately there have been some severe winds and turbulence over the country and Tasman Sea. My flight on Tuesday from Sydney to Auckland had a very rushed meal service all cleared up within an hour of depature because the rest of the flight was very turbulent (enough to pop open the odd overhead bin door).
Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Always go before you go!

How long are your elevator rides?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
How long are your elevator rides?
Have you ever been in an elevator when there has been a power cut?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:53 pm
vlt

Programs: QF & PC
Extended landing, elevator trips....etc

I tend to try and avoid caffiene towards the end of a flight....
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:51 pm

Programs: QF Bronze
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The article doesn't say when it was, but lately there have been some severe winds and turbulence over the country and Tasman Sea. My flight on Tuesday from Sydney to Auckland had a very rushed meal service all cleared up within an hour of depature because the rest of the flight was very turbulent (enough to pop open the odd overhead bin door).
The aircraft was diverted from ZQN back to CHC because of turbulence. I guess the Captain was expecting more!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.