Wiki Posts
Search

Manila Metal

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2004, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, (OW Emerald)
Manila Metal

heading to Manila Monday week and notice that it's on a 747-300. When there last, (October 03) it was a vintage 767. Am I cynical or do the older of QF's fleet cover this sort of run? will this ac have a build date of 1967?... Work aside, some excitment associated with this trip; my first ever in J! assuming upstairs would be the go? This is a big year of flying for Dashman with at last count 27 int J sectors on the horizon. Note: a few runs on the Dash8 ex ABX too.

[This message has been edited by dashman (edited Feb 24, 2004).]
Old Feb 24, 2004, 2:20 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Hi,

On the 747-300 I would go lower deck in Zone A, but that's just me. I love the old J seats on the 743s, very comfortable. However, with that said, some 743's have been refitted with dreamtime seats.

Go with a seat with row 1-4 in either A or K. That way if there is a substitution of aircraft to a 3 class 744 you will find yourself sitting in First.

I do SYD-AKL quite a bit and seek out the 743 and twice have found myself in First due to aircraft sub.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 3:31 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
All but 2 of the QF 743 fleet have had a cabin upgrade similar to the 74ER so it will be like flying in a brand new a/c. Sorry, but no bed in J though.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:34 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold)
Actually, it looks as if only one of the 743's is now still unrenovated (EBU); and if the seat maps on ITM are to be relied on, the a/c on QF19/20 in the near future are the renovated ones.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 8:39 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I just got off QF19 (the SYD-BNE leg anyway) and it was definitely an old school 747-300, with the big ol' lounge chairs in business class, and the chunky seats with no IFE in economy (wouldn't want to be the unlucky soul flying all the way to Manila on it!). So seems there's still a chance for the moment anyway of getting one that's not updated (if a small one).
Old Feb 26, 2004, 2:13 am
Original Poster

thanks for the comments to date,GibSpmuh has confirmed my fears (perhaps), anyway I'll report on the outcome. at this stage i'm 13A to MAN (March 08) and 4A (March 11)back to SYD. Am doing the trip again two weeks later so this should confirm if QF are using the route to max out some older metal? I wonder if they use a differnt ac for the BNE stoppver which only occurs once a week - any ideas?
Old Feb 26, 2004, 3:56 am

It appears that the Saturday flights, which tend to be more heavily booked, always have the renovated a/c (presumably they want to have the extra 28 Y seats available); but the Monday or Thursday flights may still get the unrenovated a/c.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 12:56 am
Original Poster

well this question of the unrenovated aircraft interests me, my meeting in Manila has changed so I'll now do SYD-MAN on saturday Mar 06 and return on the monday night of 08 Mar. sounds like it'll be new up there and old back down? best seats i could get were 12K on the way and 4A coming home. My agent reckons the best seats remain blocked for the elite...
Old Feb 28, 2004, 2:07 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
MAN = Manchester. Do you mean MNL?

(edited for typo)

[This message has been edited by og (edited Feb 28, 2004).]
Old Feb 28, 2004, 2:39 am
Original Poster

indeed, my airport code knowledge is sketchy to say the least...
Old Feb 28, 2004, 3:26 pm

The worst thing about the Monday flight is that it stops in BNE, cutting your rest short; and no, they will NOT NOT NOT let you transfer in BNE, even on a full J fare..you have to go via SYD!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.