Airports Slammed On Parking Charges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:50 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci
Airports Slammed On Parking Charges

Originally Posted by Australian Avaition Express
Transport Minister Anthony Albanese has instructed the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to monitor airport car parking prices, after the minister released figures showing that Australia's major airports are among the most expensive in the world.

I recognise there are genuine public concerns about airports using their monopoly position to exert significant market power and charge higher prices for the various periods of stay - particularly short term stays to drop off and pick up passengers, said Minister Albanese in a statement.
Rest of articale located about two-thirds of the way down on this page.

Dave
Old Apr 14, 2008, 3:29 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Airport parking is a highly profitable exercise for those who own the big three (SYD, MEL, BNE) and others. If the consumer is prepared to pay $50 per day or $14 per hour at SYD, why charge any lower?

BUT there are ways around this (certainly at SYD), but most are too people are too lazy to investigate because it is convenient to park as close to the aircraft as possible.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 3:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The price gouging by airports (not just in Australia) has gotten ridiculous. Indeed Air NZ now has offsite airport parking (with free shuttle of course) at AKL. Their fees are comparable with all day parking downtown, a big saving on the official airport parking lots for a minor inconvenience (the shuttle is possibly quicker than walking from the farthest/cheapest airport lots).
Old Apr 14, 2008, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by og
Airport parking is a highly profitable exercise for those who own the big three (SYD, MEL, BNE) and others. If the consumer is prepared to pay $50 per day or $14 per hour at SYD, why charge any lower?

BUT there are ways around this (certainly at SYD), but most are too people are too lazy to investigate because it is convenient to park as close to the aircraft as possible.

Just was at DFW yesterday (and the day before and the day...) and parking direct at the terminal is $17. Per day.
Government should regulate prices for monopoly suppliers otherwise you get monopoly prices.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 4:11 pm
tt7

MEL is one of the most egregious. After a weekend in Brisbane, I was dumfounded to return to find the long term parking was $40/day for the first two days. I assumed I was incorrectly being charged the short-term rate and went off to find someone to fix it ... silly me.

To get to MEL, you either pay $12 each way for the privilege of driving on a few kilometres of one of the most over-priced toll roads in the world (or go the long way round) + the cost of parking or you get a cab. From where we are (not very far SE of the CBD), that's usually $60+ each way.

Needless to say, there's no train to the airport as apparently not building one was part of the 'deal' with the owners of the toll road.

It's amazing what you can get away with when you have a monopoly and useless government.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:32 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Air NZ now has offsite airport parking (with free shuttle of course) at AKL. Their fees are comparable with all day parking downtown.
I would note that Sydney Airport parking fees are cheaper than all-day parking in the City.
A lot of carparks charge in the order of $60-70 for the day (anything over 4 hrs) (even earlybird rates are above $20) although I do believe there is a fairly egregious CBD parking space tax that is collected that drives the price up.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:43 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by moa999
I would note that Sydney Airport parking fees are cheaper than all-day parking in the City.
A lot of carparks charge in the order of $60-70 for the day (anything over 4 hrs) (even earlybird rates are above $20) although I do believe there is a fairly egregious CBD parking space tax that is collected that drives the price up.
All day SYD CBD parking is a blight on the landscape and should be taxed out of existance. A car-free city would make it a pleasure to come to work - or at least move around outside of the office.

Of course, that would only work with a quality public transport system that is comfortable, convenient and reliable.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by tt7
MEL is one of the most egregious. After a weekend in Brisbane, I was dumfounded to return to find the long term parking was $40/day for the first two days. I assumed I was incorrectly being charged the short-term rate and went off to find someone to fix it ... silly me.

To get to MEL, you either pay $12 each way for the privilege of driving on a few kilometres of one of the most over-priced toll roads in the world (or go the long way round) + the cost of parking or you get a cab. From where we are (not very far SE of the CBD), that's usually $60+ each way.

Needless to say, there's no train to the airport as apparently not building one was part of the 'deal' with the owners of the toll road.

It's amazing what you can get away with when you have a monopoly and useless government.
A taxi from MEL costs $10 before you even pass the Formula 1 Hotel!

Specifically for MEL I find the Skybus a far better option than driving/parking. $13 e/w with a return ticket ($12 per trip with a 10 trip ticket), no more than 25 minutes airport to/from Spencer St where I normally catch a train to/from my home near Carrum RS.

It might add 30 minutes to travel time but it's great value for a sole traveller when compared with parking at the Airport.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by tt7
$40p/d - that must be the multi-storey Long Term rather than the "outdoor" remote Long Term.

If I'm staying away for the weekend, I tend to use the Business Car Park adjacent the QF terminal. At $45 a bargain compared to the Multi-storey and closer too.

Nearly decapitated by a set of strap-on wheels thrown up by a taxi the last time I was walking back to the car park, mind!

I always use the Car Park calculator to gauge which is the cheapest option.

BD
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BD1959
$40p/d - that must be the multi-storey Long Term rather than the "outdoor" remote Long Term.
Nup, that's the cost of normal open air LT parking serviced by bus's: <24 hours is $25, >24 hours to < 48 is $40 and as time ticks into the 49th hour it goes up to $45 for the next 24 hours.

Originally Posted by BD1959
... I always use the Car Park calculator to gauge which is the cheapest option. ...
I too - finding it very useful.

http://www.melbourneairport.com.au/t.../long_term.asp
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by moa999
In that case SYD CBD carparking fees are more expensive than AKL airport (on-site) fees.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:33 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Specifically for MEL I find the Skybus a far better option than driving/parking. $13 e/w with a return ticket ($12 per trip with a 10 trip ticket)
Unsure about the 10 trip ticket, but one way is now $16 and return is $26. Still a great deal whichever way you look at it. The last time I caught a cab to the airport was for work, and the cab driver couldn't figure out how to give me an invoice with the surcharges included (which, many months later, is still the subject of a Victorian Taxi Directorate inquiry )
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... 10 trip is $120 ...

Here's an estimate of a cab far from MEL to outside the Skybus Terminal in Spencer st:

Fees:
Code:
FlagFall: $ 3.20
Toll ...: $ 3.70
Arpt ...: $ 2.00
Distance: $33.60 (22 km @ $1.526 per kilometre)
Time ...: $ 3.00 (Estimate of 5½ minutes @ $0.547 per minute when speed < 21 kph)
----------------
Total ..: $46.40
Old Apr 15, 2008, 1:17 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by serfty
... 10 trip is $120 ...

Here's an estimate of a cab far from MEL to outside the Skybus Terminal in Spencer st:

Fees:
Code:
FlagFall: $ 3.20
Toll ...: $ 3.70
Arpt ...: $ 2.00
Distance: $33.60 (22 km @ $1.526 per kilometre)
Time ...: $ 3.00 (Estimate of 5 minutes @ $0.547 per minute when speed < 21 kph)
----------------
Total ..: $46.40
Sounds about right. From my office on Spring St to the airport it's circa $47/48 each way, depending on time of day.

Airport->home (South Yarra) is $57-60.

Can confirm the gouging at MEL for parking - ~$80 for 2 days in October .
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:19 am

Programs: QC/Qff Gold Starwood SS/venetian HHon's Accorgold AmexPlat
Yes, your taxi estimates are pretty spot on.

For me its always limo transfers in MeL.

One way Mel Tulla to CBD $52.00 Inc taxes and tolls.
If l book a return with original booking total is $94.00 save $10.00

I pay with my Amex Maxi =141 points

I Don't touch my luggage and don't care less about traffic.

Smooth easy and quiet. I have always found the price pretty similar to the taxis without all the drama.

Mind you it is more expensive for a one off transfer, thats why l use the same company and get the better rates whenever l am visiting Mexican friends or are down on Business.

In this situation the transfer to me is not a treat but a economic benefit.
I always find it much cheaper to hire a car for a stay, "in the city" anyway.
Beats airport prices anyday......

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.