Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Air Traffic Control Changes 26 November

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

This is my first post to your board, having lurked for a few months now.

A friend of mine has just emailed from Melbourne to say:

"the whole air traffic control changes are coming into play on Thursday and they are predicting chaos - oh well"

is this the new minimum distance regs and allowing light aircraft to co-habit airspace with heavies, or something more system related which could indeed cause "chaos"?
Old Nov 24, 2003, 4:46 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
My understanding after hearing comments over the radio this morning is your first comment...I believe a pilot was speaking about the of waiting/expecting an accident to happen after Thursday as the light planes don't have to announce themselves (I think what he said).

I can just see a jumbo landing atop a cessna - elephant versus an ant. Only one winner in that scenario - the grim reaper.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:54 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF WP:
I can just see a jumbo landing atop a cessna - elephant versus an ant. Only one winner in that scenario - the grim reaper.</font>
My understanding of the changes as follows. Normal disclaimers apply of course :

Should not make any difference to Jumbos. The change only relates to Class E airspace and uncontrolled operation of VFR light aircraft between 4,500 and 10,000 feet. So it only affects commercial RPT flights that ascend or descend through this altitude range in Class E airspace, and that's not generally where 747's are operating.

Heavies normally operate exclusively in Class A, B and C airspace, except for short stints in E as they descend/climb through E to the point where Class C begins, normally about 36 to 40 NM out from the major airport. But this new NAS does change the mapping of some Class E space, so that may change slightly.

Class E airspace remains controlled for all IFR operations. The changes are only for VFR in Class E space.

There is Class E airspace around secondary airports (Class D) in Australia, so it may affect some RPT services around these ports. But any commercial jet approaching these ports will be pretty much straight-in and any VFR lightie should know to keep out of these straight-in approaches anyway. Once below 4500 feet, normal VFR conditions remain.

There is also a mandatory requirement for all aircraft in Class E airspace or over 10,000 feet to operate a transponder (also in Class A and C airspace), so ATC and other aircraft should know they are there anyway. So nobody operating VFR without a transponder should be in Class E space anyway.

There still seems to be fair bit of discussion about the safety of operations around Class D airports (without towers) with larger/faster aircraft (737, 717 DHC8 etc) mixing it with slower VFR lighties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.