Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help w/Baggage Allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:31 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: All Airline & Hotel Programs (POINT JUNKIE!)
Help w/Baggage Allowance?

The web site says only 1 pc.(115cm) and 1 "Personal" ie purse, briefcase, backpack, etc. for carry on and 2 pcs.(together only 158cm)for checked baggage. I am flying in Business Cl. - I plan to hand carry a large "purse satchel" and hubby will drag a backpack, plus a roll-aboard each - Will this be OK? I've heard Qantas very strict on this..
I have connections from the east coast --just in case of "lost luggage" - I always try to include a change of clothes and shoes in my carry on - together with (a lot of) important medications, cosmetics, cameras, essential paperwork and reading material.
We are away for a month, with a 2 week cruise (in-between) and weather ranging from the hot Outback to Cold Queenstown. This is a 'mean'pack. Hubby's huge shoes take up half a case! Any advice - besides - take 1/2 the clothes and twice the money !!!

[This message has been edited by ReneeMoss (edited Nov 25, 2003).]
Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a better than even chance you will not be allowed to "drag" on the rollers. The dimensional allowance in Au is less than in the US.

It all depends on the check in person. In Aust people do not carry on board as much luggage as is common practice in the USA
Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:23 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Depending on the point of departure, weight can be a bigger issue than size. Two carryons in J is normally allowed. Just make sure the roller cases are within the size/weight spec and the backpack is also within the size/weight limit. The purse/sachel will not be a problem.

If you are connecting to a domestic flight in Australia, the size restriction may be more tightly enforced.

If departing from MEL international, be aware that there is sometimes an airport security person (not a QF employee) just inside the doors entering the immigration queue area, who weighs the carryons. He doesn't seem to count them, just weighs them .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.