Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aborted takeoff at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:37 pm

Programs: QF Gold MB Gold Elite
Originally Posted by adampenrith
...as some information that came my way from QF union members.
This explains it.

I think you will find that people on this forum take safety into consideration more than your average flyer.

With the amount of flying that most people on this forum do, the chances of anything going wrong increases the more they fly, hence why they are careful.

There are a number of enginerring deficiencies with all the major carriers and these have been discussed quite extensively on this forum over the years (don't get me started on SQ). You will never find an engineering department at any airline that is operating at an extensive level above that of best practice. This is just a sad fact of life.

Last edited by bravoecho; Mar 26, 2008 at 10:13 pm
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:59 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by bravoecho
With the amount of flying that most people on this forum do, the chances of anything going wrong increases the more they fly, hence why they are careful.
Can you back this up with some math
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:04 pm

Programs: QF Gold MB Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Sure - 1 + 1 = 2

Last edited by bravoecho; Mar 26, 2008 at 10:12 pm
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:45 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
I think what was meant, is that say an incident occurs 1 in a 1000 flights. The more flights you fly, the more chance you have of being on that one flight with an incident.

Makes sense in simple logic terms, but I am not a statistician so i expect someone to blow this out of the water now...

Point was, frequent flyers do care about safety.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
I think what was meant, is that say an incident occurs 1 in a 1000 flights. The more flights you fly, the more chance you have of being on that one flight with an incident.

Makes sense in simple logic terms, but I am not a statistician so i expect someone to blow this out of the water now...

Point was, frequent flyers do care about safety.
Dear god don't let my wife see that - she worries about my travel too much already!

ALthough I generally disagree with adampenrith on most of his points - we do have to concede that the Board has made a decision to weigh up the cost of a hull loss + lives vs. teh cost of maintenance. If not then before every flight an army of mechanics would examine every nut bolt on board and holding it together. Businesses have to make those decisions - even by following the manufacturers guidelines they are implicitly doing this.

I do think though that people obsess about QF safety because of the safety record (in the Jet era) and the massive profits that they are making. Also people tend to focus on safety because the move of jobs offshore impacts australian workers and that is the main concern - their own jobs.

There is such a focus on QF at the moment that I am surprised we don't get a post every time one of the cabin crew cuts themselves opening the Champagne in F.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Back OT:

aubs on AFF has quoted from a PPRuNe post:
Originally Posted by hardworker
Qf Vh-oej
Take Config Warning sounded 30kts below V1- Stab

Vh-oej Rto
At 122kts on take off EICAS annuciated Take OFF Warning Config Msg Stab fault traced to L/H RVDT stab postion giving incorrect info to the FCU then onto SRM which then dispalyed the warning. Crew Rejected takeoff as any would with a config warning msg. Had the aircraft become airbourne they most probably would have had EICAS warning Stab Trim and unschedule Stab Trim which would have been an ATB. The RTO was carried out as normal, as the aircraft was heavy 380+tonnes the tyres failed from heat build up. Loan parts borrowed, aircraft back in SYD
There's now some discussion on acronyms ...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:23 pm

Qf12

Hey guys - just an FYI, my wife and I were on this QF 12, and the nose never lifted off the runway. It was a weird feeling, of course, half-asleep on an accelerating 747, followed by a sudden slamming of the brakes - it certainly wakes one up. There was no panic on the plane at all (at least back where we were - in the tail section - row 65). We heard tires ('tyres') squealing, but that's about all.

Immediately after the plane stopped, the pilot got on and said that a warning light had illuminated, so they had to abort the takeoff. He continued to note that because of this abort, the tires heat up very quickly, and may explode, so emergency vehicles and procedures will need to be followed. (I estimate that there were 'round 10 firetrucks, and many other random vehicles as well).

Right after that, the lead FA (CS agent?) came on and said (lectured?) something along the lines of: "During that aborted takeoff, the flight attendants asked you to brace. This is why you should all pay attention to the emergency procedure briefing prior to the flight." We never had anyone asking us to brace, or do anything of the sort. We heard later that the FAs in business (and/or first) told their pax to brace. So much for equality of safety measures.

I liked the lead FA's line of: "This is a very unusual procedure, and we do not do this often. We will have to engage in an abnormal disembarkation."

The whole process was lengthy, and annoying (of course), but not particularly troubling or frightening. My favorite part was when, still in the airport, we all lined up for the hotel checkoff procedure. After a 45 minute line, we got to the front, and they asked how many rooms we needed. We said 1, and they marked a single line on a sheet with a bunch of other lines on it. No checking of boarding pass, no ID, or anything. Of course, they checked the boarding passes at the LAX Hilton (another 45 minute line).

I asked the Qantas agents about a meal (b/c they give dinner meal on QF 12 leaving at 2230), and they said "we will give you a free breakfast." Ah well....
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by stefanb01
... Right after that, the lead FA (CS agent?) came on and said (lectured?) something along the lines of: "During that aborted takeoff, the flight attendants asked you to brace. This is why you should all pay attention to the emergency procedure briefing prior to the flight." We never had anyone asking us to brace, or do anything of the sort. We heard later that the FAs in business (and/or first) told their pax to brace. So much for equality of safety measures. ...
Thank you for the information. I found it quite interesting and enlightening.

It's strange you were not advised about the "Brace Procedure"; this is explained on the pre-flight video. Did they not show this?

There's the text of this spiel somewhere ...

Last edited by serfty; Mar 26, 2008 at 10:51 pm
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Thank you for the information. I found it quite interesting and enlightening.

It's strange you were not advised about the "Brace Procedure"; this is explained on the pre-flight video. Did they not show this?

Thanks. Don't get me wrong - the Brace Procedure was certainly described during the pre-flight video. But they specifically said something like "we asked you all to Brace during the aborted takeoff" - we never heard a thing over the PA system. Supposedly, in FC & Business, the FAs yelled out to their pax to brace.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by serfty

The safety demo would most certainly would of explained this, however as is common with late night departures probably about 1 in 40 people are actually paying attention - based from my view (which is watching you either watching the video or sleeping)

The 'Brace" command can be triggered one of three ways. By PA from the flight deck or by a crew member if they feel the brace position is required. In a prepared ditching/emergency landing the flight deck will flash the seat belt sign when you should brace if required. A cabin crew triggered brace will only be repeated by other crew if it is heard.

Last edited by eoinnz; Mar 26, 2008 at 11:41 pm
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:08 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
I believe that stefanb01 was commenting that they never heard the FA ask anyone to brace.

We never had anyone asking us to brace, or do anything of the sort.
I would assume the video was shown as per usual or if the IFE wasn't working the FA's would have acted it out.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by eoinnz
The 'Brace" command can be triggered one of two ways. By the flight deck flashing the no smoking sign or by a crew member if they feel the brace position is required. A cabin crew triggered brace will only be repeated by other crew if it is heard.
That is very interesting - I didn't know about the No Smoking flashing signal. They don't mention that in the pre-flight video (I know, b/c I was sure to watch the whole thing when we took off on Tues), but I wonder if that's what the lead FA was referring to...

Overall, I liked how honest the FAs & pilot were. I feel that on AA (my preferred, if not 'favorite' airline), they would say "no need to be worried, nothing's wrong, etc etc." Here, they said "well, this is pretty abnormal, and we're not sure what's going to happen with you guys. We'll keep you updated." Of course, I would rather it have been on AA (get some bonus miles, maybe?)...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:22 pm

That is very interesting - I didn't know about the No Smoking flashing signal. They don't mention that in the pre-flight video (I know, b/c I was sure to watch the whole thing when we took off on Tues), but I wonder if that's what the lead FA was referring to...
Sorry - I got stuff muddled up. It is not the no smoking sign it is the seat belt sign and it only flashes in a prepared ditching/emergency landing to advise when to brace and you would be notified of this in a emergency situation briefing prior to landing.

In a situation where the brace command is not expected to be used (like this) either a PA will come from the flight deck or if a cabin crew member feels it is necessary to brace, they can start yelling the command, and if heard by other crew, they will repeat the command.

The brace command will never be made over the PA if made by cabin crew - it will only ever be yelled.

Last edited by eoinnz; Mar 26, 2008 at 11:49 pm
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:08 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
We'll keep you updated." Of course, I would rather it have been on AA (get some bonus miles, maybe?)...
I would write to QF and complain that you had to spend a night in LAX, that should be equal to at least the compensation of AVOiD not working .

Glad you are OK and thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:15 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
stefanb01, thanks for this report and glad that you are okay. There are FTer everywhere....

Just write to Qantas, maybe you can get something out of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.