Aborted takeoff at LAX

Old Mar 25, 2008, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Aborted takeoff at LAX

Anyone know what happened tonight 24 March? I landed on a UA flight around 11pm and the pilot announced that the south runway was temporarily closed due to an aborted takeoff.

We taxied next to a Qantas plane that was surrounded by emergency vehicles with their siren lights on and the lights on the runway were blinking.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 2:05 am

Programs: QF WP + PG
I'd say it was QF12 given that the QF website has QF12 rerouted via Los Angeles and the flight pushed back at 22:36.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 3:19 am

http://www.examiner.com/a-1300052~Qa...AX_runway.html

" An official at Los Angeles International Airport says an Australia-bound jetliner carrying hundreds of passengers blew four tires while trying to take off and got stranded on the runway. "
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:56 am

Another article here:

http://origin.mercurynews.com/breaki...nclick_check=1

Qantas official says the passengers were taken to hotels and would be placed on flights to Sydney later Tuesday
and http://www.skynews.com.au/news/article.aspx?id=224052

One of the 232 passengers and crew on Qantas Flight 12 was injured in the incident.
It's a fairly light load tonight fortunately.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:41 am

Programs: Qantas Gold, Marriot Silver, Sofitel, USAir, Delta,Meritus,Plat IC Ambassador
Saw the pics on the news. Looks like it was the Wunala Dreaming 747. Or did they just have the cameras pointed at the wrong plane on the early a.m. news here?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:00 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by abcedaria
http://www.examiner.com/a-1300052~Qa...AX_runway.html

" An official at Los Angeles International Airport says an Australia-bound jetliner carrying hundreds of passengers blew four tires while trying to take off and got stranded on the runway. "
I would guess it more probable that the tyres blew when the take-off was aborted due to some other reason. The blown tyres are more likely a symptom than the cause of the aborted take-off.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:13 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
The Age also has an article on this incident.
Qantas jet blows 4 tyres during LA take-off
An official at Los Angeles International Airport says an Australia-bound Qantas jet carrying hundreds of passengers blew four tyres while trying to take off and got stranded on the runway.

Airport spokeswoman Treva Miller says none of the 232 passengers or crew on Qantas Flight 12 to Sydney was hurt in the incident late yesterday.
How much noise would this make? Would the pax know something went wrong?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:36 am

QF12 is now scheduled to leave at 12:45pm Tuesday.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by NM
I would guess it more probable that the tyres blew when the take-off was aborted due to some other reason. The blown tyres are more likely a symptom than the cause of the aborted take-off.
Agreed. This is usually by design when the brakes overheat after a rejected takeoff. I could be wrong of course, I am speculating. Surprised its made the news as much as it has.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Hvr
The Age also has an article on this incident.

How much noise would this make? Would the pax know something went wrong?
As a few others have said, odds are something else was wrong and when they aborted their takeoff it caused four tires to rupture.

Yes they would know something was wrong by the tremendous G-forces caused by attempting to rapidly stop a 362k Kilo plane that moments prior was attempting to reach 240kmh in less than 20 seconds.

It can be a little scary as you dont know at what point the pilot made the decision. There is a a point where a plane is commited to take off. In this case it must have been very close.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 2:30 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
Agreed. This is usually by design when the brakes overheat after a rejected takeoff. I could be wrong of course, I am speculating. Surprised its made the news as much as it has.
You are allowed to speculate here - especially before the report is published. This is not that other professional pilots board...
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:15 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by og
You are allowed to speculate here - especially before the report is published. This is not that other professional pilots board...
Thank goodnees there are not so many "professional pilots" on this board, must be why it's so friendly over here ^

But that being said my favourite part of the www.news.com.au article is this. I am sure that most of us on here know that if a 747's nose is off the ground there is no chance it's going to be stopping on that runway! Not happy at just quoting a passenger saying that, news.com.au have also written that as part of their article

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...71-661,00.html

The nose of the plane had already lifted off the ground and passengers were heavily jostled as it hit the tarmac at full speed.

Passenger Samantha Thomas last night told The Daily Telegraph the screams of frightened passengers filled the aircraft while others were thrown forward into seats.

"It started to take off and everything was fine. The nose of the plane was actually lifted up and we were going at full speed when suddenly the pilot slammed on the brakes," she said.

"Everyone was flying forward as the top of the plane slammed back down on the runway. Everyone was thrown around and some people were screaming. It was just crazy."

"We're all in shock"

Last edited by AndDee; Mar 25, 2008 at 4:42 pm
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: QF Gold MB Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Derrico
There is a a point where a plane is commited to take off. In this case it must have been very close.
This is known as V1 - the point of no return. Once you pass V1 you are committed to takeoff.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:31 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
quality reporting there.

here's a working link to the article: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...71-661,00.html
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:00 pm

At least QF12 is on it's way now (according to flightstats)...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.