Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taxes while transiting @ LHR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2006, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mnlfqtv
Im flying in from Singapore on QF electronic ticket and on to AA same day to DFW. In HK, we can refund the paid taxes if we can show boarding pass and immigration arrival and departure stamp for same day connection. Is there such a service at LHR?
No. If you were on a single ticketed itinery with no stopover, you would have been exempt the GBP20/40 charge, however, on 2 itineries, you are liable to pay it

There is an element of fairness in this; if you fly LHR-FRA-SIN on a single ticket, you are liable for the higher amount whilst if booked LHR-FRA and FRA-SIN on separate tickets, you are only charged the lower amount

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 16, 2006 at 2:33 pm
Old Apr 16, 2006, 2:29 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
Interestingly I had a not quite so similar situation this week when booking a ticket. I had a 23 hour stopover planned in LHR, flying in from Australia but the last leg was from CPH - then flying out to the US. When the tax quote came back it seemed absurdly low but I thought "cool! let's go with that!" however a rule crackdown required me to have a 24 hour stop in LHR, so I rejigged the flights, and suddenly the taxes went up by AUD 57 (ie: around 20 quid). The agent queried this and it seems that up to 24 hours in LHR is considered a transit and you don't pay any of those wacky taxes, but once you go past 24 hours you get hit with the whole lot. I do agree though, AUD197 seems way too much.

Anyway my point is that surely you don't have to pay those taxes if you're just transiting (under the "24 hour rule" my 23 hour visit would have been considered a transit - supposedly according to the agent).

Similar charges/fees apply if you Transit for more than 24 hours at any OZ airport.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Similar charges/fees apply if you Transit for more than 24 hours at any OZ airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.