Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Otto's in Sydney for 180,000 miles in F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2003, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

In order to keep this on subject I am using 180,000 OW miles for a rtw in F to attend a wedding in SYD (if you are curious how this works let me know). Friends tell me that they are taking me to dinner at Otto's. Since I trust FT'ers opinions what do you think of this restaurant?

Thanks for any feedback

Old May 30, 2003, 8:22 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
I think they 'otto' take you somewhere decent.
Old May 30, 2003, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Shillard - why do you say that?
Old May 30, 2003, 9:20 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MikeFly:
....Friends tell me that they are taking me to dinner at Otto's. Since I trust FT'ers opinions what do you think of this restaurant?....
</font>
Otto is owned by, iirc, John Laws. Beautiful restaurant, one of Sydney's best.
Old May 31, 2003, 5:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dannyr:
Otto is owned by, iirc, John Laws. Beautiful restaurant, one of Sydney's best.</font>
Nice restaurant, horrible man.

------------------
Latitudes.

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travels sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilisation, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints.
Robert Louis Stevenson (18501894)
Old May 31, 2003, 6:55 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I haven't been but have for what it's worth, I have heard *very* mixed reports from those who have, specifically about real 'attitude' from the staff.
Old May 31, 2003, 10:49 am

Programs: QF Bronze
Food is nice but service sucks. Attitude big time! Every time waiter filled water glass the water went just about everywhere but in the glass. They then tried to overcharge our table by $150 approximately for drinks we didnt have. It was one bottle of wine and a couple of other drinks. No apology from any of the staff when it was pointed out. They just brought the corrected bill back. No tip!!
Old May 31, 2003, 11:17 am

Programs: QF WP. LTG
Most staff including chef have moved to Bondi Iceberg...food still ok but restaurant has definitely lost its edge amongst Sydney's better restaurants. Personally consider Tetsuya or Claude's as best...
Old May 31, 2003, 5:40 pm

Went there last year, food is above average, staff service is horrible, plenty of celebrities regularly go there from what i've heard. When i was there last Rob McGeogh (?), Sandra Sully, Deborah Hutton and a few other local Australian TV ppl were having lunch on another table. It is still busy as ever, I took a walk down there y'day and it was packed.
Old May 31, 2003, 6:35 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OzTraveller:
Personally consider Tetsuya or Claude's as best...</font>
Both of these are a good option. If you're not paying, I'd be suggesting Jordans tho Great seafood. Great service. Great atmosphere. Great wine cellar [one of Australias best]. Very $$$ tho

My pics for restaurants in Sydney are :

Jordans, Astral, Atlantico on the Bay, Milsons, Iceberg, and Otto.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 4:16 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MikeFly:
Shillard - why do you say that?</font>
The service is crap. Admittedly, I've only been there once, but I wasn't particularly impressed.

Mind you, I'm pretty easy to please when the food is good, the service equally good and the prices acceptable, but I don't go for wank-factor eateries at all. You can take your Niel Perry/ MG Garage/ Edna's Table/ Otto's/ etc and stick them up your rocket & balsamic latte-fattened arse.

I'm pretty much out of the loop in Sydney now, as I try to ensure that I spend as little time there as possible. Weekdays/ nights, I'll dine at the Union Club. Pre-ballet or theatre, I'll dine at the Opera Bar, on the concourse under the Opera House.

If you manage to escape from Babylon and reach the holy city of Newcastle to the North, there's no shortage of fine dining - I'll be happy to make a plethora of recommendations.

Old Jun 1, 2003, 7:02 am

"Salt"

Great food in a subtle surround, with a good wine list and excellent service.

I was there a week ago on a monday night, (never a great night for food) and had a meal that was as good as I have had anywhere.
Service was friendly and bill was $180 for three of us.

AND, I do recomend staying at the Kirketon if you want an evening that is not just like a Hyatt or Westin etc etc.

Alas, no points are to be had.....

Cheers
Iain

------------------
Better living through chemistry.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 10:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OzTraveller:
Most staff including chef have moved to Bondi Iceberg...</font>
So, that's why there is always a queue at Icebergs on Fri/Sat nights. Not to mention all those illegally parked Mercedes/BMW/Porsche/Range Rover etc...
Old Jun 1, 2003, 4:27 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spider:
So, that's why there is always a queue at Icebergs on Fri/Sat nights. Not to mention all those illegally parked Mercedes/BMW/Porsche/Range Rover etc...</font>
Must be hard to justify the biggest / most expensive car in town for a short trip down the road and then drive around until someone sees you getting out of your car in the "no stopping" zone.... (sorry Willyroo, off topic).
Old Jun 1, 2003, 9:12 pm

Programs: QF SG
I'll put in my 2c and suggest Aqua Dining in Milsons Point. Some of the best harbour views in Sydney and being, on the North Shore, its away from all the Eastern Suburbs muppets (and its on the way to Newcastle Shillard!!!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.