Search

I need help with Reds

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:36 pm
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I need help with Reds

No, not red heads. The drinkable types. As a wine philistine, I need some advice on a good heavy Ausie red to take to a collegue in the US. He has asked for something in the A$70-A$100 range and specified heavy. Appart from things like Penfolds Bin 707 and Wolf Blass Black Label, I am looking for ideas.

Now if he asked for beer or scotch I would be right. But when it comes to reds, all I know is the 5 S's that I was told at a winer tour and tasting in Nappa Valley (swirl, sniff, swill, savour, and spit). I tried the first four, but pass on the last one. And for the life of me I could not find the rasberries, black berries, peppers, spicy oak, olives, margerine etc. It all just smelt like red wine to me.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:50 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Leeuwin Art Series Shiraz. Superb wine and well within your price range (a bargain as Margaret River isn't famous for Shiraz, though it is truly superb). Plus the label art work is classically Qantas ("caterpillar dreaming").

Is 707 really under AUD 100 a bottle? Wow! Where???? 407 costs that much here.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:46 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Yes, I can access 707's for under AUD$100 - just depends on which vintage you want. The joys of having a modest collection of Penfolds reds and being a member of their Cellar Door Club.

Perhaps another option is the recently released 1998 St Henri. You should be able to pick up 2 for around AUD$100.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:52 am

Programs: CX MPO Gold; QFClub
Ah, NM, what a topic!

I would add that if you think it is likely that the recipient intends to actually drink this bottle in the near future, it's a good idea to source a back vintage, something with a bit of bottle age on it.

Penfold 707 is usually pretty easy to find back vintages due to it's popularity, and it is a superb drop. Henschke also has super reds, Hill of Grace Shiraz is well out of the price range, but their second tier Mount Edelstone Shiraz is considered also to be excellent. Vintage Cellars has the '92 for $110 - a little over your price range but you get the idea.

If you want to look to Margaret River (WA) region for difference, the Moss Wood Cabernet is regarded as one of Australia's super premiums, but it's a little harder to find. Cape Mentelle also does an excellent Cab Sav for which you may be able to find back vintages...

BTW, Australia Post sells styrofoam single bottle wine shipping containers (about $5 each from memory). They are an absolute godsend when toting a precious bottle on and off multiple planes. Tried and tested!

[edited to fix link]

[This message has been edited by MrsDrD (edited 04-08-2003).]
Old Apr 8, 2003, 1:06 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF WP:
Yes, I can access 707's for under AUD$100 - just depends on which vintage you want. Perhaps another option is the recently released 1998 St Henri. You should be able to pick up 2 for around AUD$100.</font>
Amen to the St Henri - absolute top stuff, especially with a good solid beef dish - food an empire was built on. My club still has some '95 Grange in the sub-$400 price belt, pity they don't do takeaways....

Old Apr 8, 2003, 1:15 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MrsDrD:
Ah, NM, what a topic!

If you want to look to Margaret River (WA) region for difference, the Moss Wood Cabernet is regarded as one of Australia's super premiums, but it's a little harder to find.
</font>
MrsDrD, you are a force to be reckoned with. Very impressed with your wine knowledge! I have 3 Moss Wood 1992's in my collection; but they are well out of NM's price range . Maybe I'll have to bring one up to HKG to help you ward off that evil SARS virus.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">BTW, Australia Post sells styrofoam single bottle wine shipping containers (about $5 each from memory). They are an absolute godsend when toting a precious bottle on and off multiple planes. Tried and tested!</font>
NM, I have a spare one of these, I'll give it to you. Totally agree with MrsDrD
Old Apr 8, 2003, 1:45 am

MrsDrD, I should have read your profile first. Consider me humbly chastened

(Note to self: always do research first, after all MrsDrD will be disappointed in me again on that score!!)
Old Apr 8, 2003, 2:44 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
A nice BIG red is a Terrace Vale Bin 6. This is a BIG Hunter Shiraz that demands to be put down for 5+ years. May be easier to get cellar door or mail order. Not the astronomical prices listed above in this thread - more like AUD$25 or so.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 5:17 am
NM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. Some great info to be had in this place . And the thread is still on topic (fits here since I will be flying QF to deliver the stuff).

Knowing the recipient as I do, I assume it won't last more than a month or two in his possession. This is a Texan who worked in Sydney for about a year and on returning to his homeland named his two dogs Coona and Warra. The only thing I have seen him consume in greater quantity than good reds is beer - and boy does he put them down in a hurry. Makes a QF FT meeting look like an add for AA (I leave it to you to determine what AA stands for in this case).

The merchandise will be well packed in my carry-on rolling brief case. I am assuming the US security droids won't try to confiscate it at LAX when trying to board the dreaded BBB (Bistro Bag Bus) over to DFW?

I must say, though, I could get a lot more enjoyment out of a A$100 bottle of scotch than a A$100 bottle of wine.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 5:58 am
QFF

Programs: Qantas FF/Royal Orchid Plus
QF WP

"Consider me humbly chastened"

If you were "humbly chastened" I guess I'm plain stupid. Had to look it up in my Funk and Wagnells !!

Cheers

------------------
Qa not Qu
Old Apr 8, 2003, 7:06 am

QFF, the joys of the english language. From time to time I'll have to check my spelling but I often give thanks silently to my parents for my education!!
Old Apr 8, 2003, 6:07 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
For a big shiraz, you might also look at Mt Langi Ghiran. If you can find a bottle or 2 of the 1995 Langi Shiraz, you'll be in big red heaven.

I'm also very partial to Dalwhinnie Moonambel Shiraz.

Can you guess I like my Pyrenees reds?
Old Apr 8, 2003, 6:25 pm
NM
Original Poster

Now I am really going to show my ignorance of all things vino. His request is specifically stated "a good heavy cabernet". So should I be considering the Shiraz recommendations? Will a "heavy cabernet" person like the "big shiraz" wines listed?

Now, if ever you visit my house for a meal you may be lucky be offered both kinds of wine - red and white. I still have a Penfolds Bin 389 that someone gave me for Christmas. Is that any good?

Thanks again for the info. You never know, one day I might be ejucated and find some couth.

Edited to add, do any of the BNE locals have any suggestions on where to get these wines? Preferably before Monday!

[This message has been edited by NM (edited 04-08-2003).]
Old Apr 8, 2003, 6:59 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
Now I am really going to show my ignorance of all things vino. His request is specifically stated "a good heavy cabernet". So should I be considering the Shiraz recommendations? Will a "heavy cabernet" person like the "big shiraz" wines listed?</font>
Probably, even though shiraz and cabernet are quite different. Australian shiraz is quite good (better than shiraz elsewhere in the world, while cabernet is generally better elsewhere). Your original post said "red" and not "cabernet". Australian shiraz is more distinctive and much better value (half price for the same quality). Penfold 389 is OK but not in your designated price range (it goes for USD 20 here, so it should be under AUD 30 there). If Penfold Bin 707 is within your budget I would heavily recommend that -- very (very) good cab and worth the price (also a well known name, which may matter for a gift). It is hard to get in the US so it will be appreciated. Price in US for 98 707 is USD 90 or AUD 145.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 7:03 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
I must say, though, I could get a lot more enjoyment out of a A$100 bottle of scotch than a A$100 bottle of wine.</font>
Another alternative: Bushmills Malt 10 years old. A great single malt (but irish whiskey, so not scotch). Better than Black Bush but hard to find. Costs circa 20 pound sterling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.