Wiki Posts
Search

I need help with Reds

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2003, 7:53 pm
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Now we are getting back on track. But unfortunately this collegue is not a whiskey man. So the Bushmills will have to remain in my personal possession .

Having spoken with his old wine drinking partner, he really prefers a wine with big alcohol content and preferably 24 months in oak. Apparently he prefers Cabernet to Shiraz.

He suggested RL Buller Cabernet Sauvignon, Bowen Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, Wynns John Riddoch Coonawarra, Cyril Henschke Cabernet Sauvignon. Any comments on these or similar to look for?

If I keep this up I will begin to sound like I might know what I'm talking about. Just don't hand me the wine menu at a restaurant .
Old Apr 8, 2003, 8:45 pm

Programs: CX MPO Gold; QFClub
NM, although I agree with number_6 about the prestige of Australian shiraz, if your guys knows his stuff, and it sounds as if he may, then stick with the Cabernet.

BNE retail wineshops that will come up with the goods: Vintage Cellars and The Grape. Both are staffed by wonderfully helpful people with good wine knowledge, both in various locations around BNE. Again, tried and tested!

Most of the wines mentioned have the requisite pre-bottling time in oak, the advantage of scaring up a back vintage is that it really is almost a sin to drink a very good Cab now, i.e. for the more premium reds, even late '90s is still young.

If you're going Cab, I'm always biased towards Coonawarra. Margaret River is doing good stuff as previusly mentioned, but it can be harder to come by and a bit $ey. There are labels there that I love, but they'll be a bit more difficult to find on short notice.

The Cyril Henschke is superb, perhaps look for a '92 or '96? I often see '94 Wynns John Riddoch around in BNE - it's a good wine that seems to have lost some popularity, but from the venerable (big word for QF WP) old label Wynns, still has plenty of cache. (Gee, just saw that Vinatge cellars has an '86 Riddoch by request for $100 - now that would be worth a phone call.) Penfold's 707 is always a given. Bowen Estate is another respectable Coonawarra cab along with others like Balnaves, Brands, Majella, Zema etc. Of these, we like the Zema, which has a premium reserve version that is easily found around the place for under $50.

Hope that helps! Now, back to work (oh, the temptations of working from home).

PS. QF WP, cellaring some fine MR reds, hope they are well nurtured in BNE's rotten climate (for wine, that is). Those '92s should have a bit of bottle time left, no? I'll hope for your sake that '03 is a good vintage year for your favourite reds - nothing like stocking up on good wines from your wedding year to enjoy at leisure over the following 10, 20, 30 years! We're in the midst of collecting 2000's on release for just that reason... a relatively harmless hobby that is still affordable when you don't yet have kids!

[edited to add -

NM, The Grape also has a very respectable range of single malts - I seem to recall that you are a premium blend fan, but perhaps there are single malts with your name on them waiting to be found. DrD enjoys browsing there at leisure so that he can plan what to pick up in his lightening raids on duty free on the way through - yes, we collect wine and whisky. Again, the not having kids yet thing...

[This message has been edited by MrsDrD (edited 04-08-2003).]
Old Apr 9, 2003, 12:06 am
NM
Original Poster

Wonderful advice MrsDrD. You assistance (and that of everyone else) is greatly appreciated ... and will be by the US collegue as well! Looks like he might get something better than my standard last minute duty-free collection of Wolf Blass Grey Label!

I think I will take your advice and visit one (or both) of the places you mention. Am I likely to find anything and any savings by shopping duty-free at BNE airport? I suspect not, but better ask anyway.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 12:43 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
I think I will take your advice and visit one (or both) of the places you mention. Am I likely to find anything and any savings by shopping duty-free at BNE airport? I suspect not, but better ask anyway.</font>
No, no, no.

I concur with ealier posts about The Grape, and the John Riddoch is a fantastic Cabernet.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 5:52 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
NM, I've got the container in my car - as I'm staying with Mrs QF WP (Brighton) over the weekend, I can drop in. You've got my mobile number, so give me a call.

I have a very good contact at The Grape, but he's the Fine Wine Manager at Indooroopilly. He might be able to put you onto the local FWM up near you. His name is Stewart Plant, Tel: 07 3878 5155 Fax: 07 3251 2998, email [email protected]. Mention you know me (by my real name!!). He sources a lot of reds for me.

(Edited to fix up contact details)

[This message has been edited by QF WP (edited 04-09-2003).]
Old Apr 9, 2003, 6:13 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">venerable (big word for QF WP)</font>
Harsh, MrsDrD, very harsh . You'll go off my Xmas card list...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">QF WP, cellaring some fine MR reds, hope they are well nurtured in BNE's rotten climate (for wine, that is). Those '92s should have a bit of bottle time left, no?</font>
Yes, my unit built into the hill and bottles underground. Not provable provenance but I'm going to drink them all anyway. Collection up around 100, mostly Penfolds - Grange (76, 95, 96x2), St Henri (88 to 98, most vintages), 707's, 407's, 389's; Moss Wood (92x4, 99x2); Leeuwin Estate Xanadu; Vasse Felix; Pepper Tree Reserves (various) and Esk Valley (NZ) Reserve. Also a humble small collection of sticky's - Vasse Felix Noble, Leuwin Estate and De Bertoli Noble One's (97 & 98's).

Moss Wood 92 - cellar potential until 2012.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Nothing like stocking up on good wines from your wedding year to enjoy at leisure over the following 10, 20, 30 years! We're in the midst of collecting 2000's on release for just that reason... a relatively harmless hobby that is still affordable when you don't yet have kids!</font>
Absolutely, I couldn't agree more with that sentiment

[This message has been edited by QF WP (edited 04-09-2003).]
Old Apr 9, 2003, 6:34 pm
NM
Original Poster

Thanks again QF WP. It looks like I have to trip over to Toowong tomorrow anyway, so I can probably drop by The Grape at Indooroopilly. I'm going to be in and out all weekend so I'll give you a call and we can catch up either here or at Brighton.

I knew this topic would get some action in this unlikely forum and appreciate the advice from all. If it wasn't for the price of some of these wines I might even start my own collection. But Mrs. NM is not a red wine fan - except for port. I could probably convince her that spending on a good port is justified, but she would not see the value invested in a good red .

Its strange that some of the most posted topic revolve around Champaign and Wine?

Rememeber Homer J Simpson's famous quote: "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Old Apr 9, 2003, 6:47 pm

NM, The Grape is located off Moggill Road outbound, at the Indooroopilly Roundabout (opposite where the Denmac Ford site was). Access off the roundabout and just on the right.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 6:52 pm
NM
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF WP:
NM, The Grape is located off Moggill Road outbound, at the Indooroopilly Roundabout (opposite where the Denmac Ford site was). Access off the roundabout and just on the right.</font>
That would be here then ?

If I need on-the-spot advice while there, you will get a call!

edited to fix UBB codes .

[This message has been edited by NM (edited 04-09-2003).]
Old Apr 9, 2003, 7:36 pm

NM, hope you enjoy The Grape. A good spot for a browse, was often a stop on my beaten track from work to home. Shame MrsNM isn't into the reds so much, maybe you aren't feeding her the right ones??

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF WP:
[B] Yes, my unit built into the hill and bottles underground. Not provable provenance but I'm going to drink them all anyway. Collection up around 100, mostly Penfolds - Grange (76, 95, 96x2), St Henri (88 to 98, most vintages), 707's, 407's, 389's; Moss Wood (92x4, 99x2); Leeuwin Estate Xanadu; Vasse Felix; Pepper Tree Reserves (various) and Esk Valley (NZ) Reserve. Also a humble small collection of sticky's - Vasse Felix Noble, Leuwin Estate and De Bertoli Noble One's (97 & 98's).
[B]</font>
A serious collector, no less! With all the talk of beer and bourbon on this board I had almost given up hope &lt;ducking quickly&gt;

It'd be nice to compare cellar notes (we're at 200+ in the cellar) but don't want to drag this out for the board. I'll e-mail offline?
Old Apr 10, 2003, 4:07 am

A serious collector, but no Oeneologist!!

Tasting notes - hate to disappoint Mrs DrD, but I'm like NM in his first post. I'll go and look at my external email though to see what you've sent.

Needless to say, if you are ever in BNE or I'm in HKG, will have to bring a decent bottle or 2 for the 4 of us to drink (convered Mrs QF WP into a red drinker!!)
Old Apr 10, 2003, 5:29 am

A serious collector, but no Oeneologist!!
</font>
Well now, I list oeneology as an interest, not a profession!

I love wines: red, white and sparkling, but 99% of my knowledge is just good ol' fashioned tasting . And a good deal of casual reading, I will admit - just can't be interested in something without wanting to know more. I would never try to foist my own tasting notes on anyone, but always happy to sit down and share a bottle!

No, I was just going to compare contents of cellars. You have a nice collection of reds there, we also have some long cellaring whites, and I wanted to mention that but thought it might be off-topic
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:41 pm
NM
Original Poster

With great thanks and appreciation to all on this forum, and appologies for anyone who thinks this topic should not be posted here , I today purchased a Cullen (Margaret River) Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2000 for the trip east. With on-the-spot approval from QD WP and srong recommendations from the experts at The Grape at Indooroopilly, I am confident it will meet with approval. Only cost $60, so don't anyone tell my US friend as he is expecting to pay me $70-$100 for it . I'll just tell him that US$50 should cover it!

[This message has been edited by NM (edited 04-10-2003).]
Old Apr 11, 2003, 1:54 am

NM, my pleasure to be able to help you (and be off the phone when you rang). Trust this will also meet with the approval of MrsDrD, particularly as the web site has tasting notes. I'm sure she would have (at very least) drunk it, perhaps even have it in her collection. I've had the pleasure of the former but not the latter.

I'll drop the container to you over the weekend.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 2:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MrsDrD:
always happy to sit down and share a bottle!</font>
Now we certainly have something in common there

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">No, I was just going to compare contents of cellars. You have a nice collection of reds there, we also have some long cellaring whites</font>
I'll flick you mine over the weekend (now that I have your email address).

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">and I wanted to mention that but thought it might be off-topic </font>
Naah, not here!! Nothing is off-topic Surely you realise that by now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.