Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

minimum connect time WLG-MEL-LAX, and FC side-by-side vs. windows

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2003, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

A big hello to all in the Qantas forum! After a fantastic trip to CNS and SYD last Dec, I am thrilled to be going back to OZ this Nov, with the wife this time! I'm even more thrilled to have snagged 2 FC award seats using Continental OnePass miles. My questions are:
1) For my return to the US, I'll be coming into MEL from WLG, then connecting on to LAX. I arrive at MEL at around 8:30am in the morning and the MEL-SYD flight is at 12:25, so that should be plenty of time. However, I'd like to know what the minimum connect time is coming from NZ (keeping in mind I'll be in business/first), as I'd really like to come into MEL from CHC instead, but that doesn't arrive MEL until 10:55 which is cutting it dangerously close. Will I have to clear customs and such if just transiting immediately on to the US?
Also, my wife and I obviously want to sit together, but really wish we could have a window seat as well for LAX-MEL-LAX. Currently we're in the side-by-side seats in row 2. Row 1 appears to have no middle seats. Are these seats very close to each other, or would the recommendation be to keep the pair I have? I apologize if seat preferences have been covered ad nauseam, as they have over at the Continental forum.

I've really enjoyed reading on the info in this forum and the QF trip reports. I just can't wait to experience QF FC!!! Of course, the flight is just the icing on the cake - seeing the beauty of Australia and experiencing the warmth of its people is what we're really going for.

cheers!
Old Apr 7, 2003, 8:07 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I am not sure of the official min connect time, but it is not that long in MEL. I have had 90 mins transfers from domestic to international from QF. A connection from NZ is all at the international terminal so no need to clear customs and immigration, just transit air-side.

You will obviously get to use the QF First Class lounge, so take the opportunity for a shower and refresher before boarding.

The ros 1 seats in F are separated by the coat closet, so not really ideal for a couple. Go for the centre pair, but I would consider row 3 or 4. Row two is the most crowded in F as there are still 4 across as the nose narrows. There is not much to see out the window over the Pacific!

Congratulations on securing two x F award seats. That is a real treat. Enjoy the flight and Australia.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 8:28 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
[B] There is not much to see out the window over the Pacific!

B]</font>
Dear NM,
Shame on you for missing the background of Wx4caster (weather forecaster ??). This person must share one of the delights of air travel -- looking out the window. Even if it is over water. Sunsets, sunrises, big storms, lightening, icebergs, midnight sun, clouds, other aircraft. It's even better after a few nice wines etc..........
Old Apr 7, 2003, 9:24 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
According to QF, it's 1:15 for DOM-INT, and 1:00 for INT-INT. But as NM noted earlier, there's about 5 minutes walk between international and domestic - both terminals are in the same building.

If your SYD-MEL flight is domestic, the MEL domestic Qantas Club is one of the best domestic lounges around. The First lounge is nice, but small...so sample both?

[This message has been edited by willyroo (edited 04-07-2003).]
Old Apr 8, 2003, 1:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
I would second willyroo's assertion about the MEL DOM lounge. Having looked through the MEL-SYD schedule for November, I can't find any INT flights leaving at around that time, so I am presuming it will be a DOM flight.

Any chance you can put it back a bit later, say after about 1700?

The free bar - I can just hear them swooning in shcok on the AA board at the very SUGGESTION! - opens at 1300, but the food starts coming out from about 1600.

There will be food before that, but it gets better from 1600 onwards. Whilst I think SYD T3 is a better lounge, MEL has by far the best food in the country, and I have been in EVERY domestic mainline Qantas Club lounge.

Dave
Old Apr 8, 2003, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Many thanks to all for the suggestions. I completely forgot that if I do CHC instead, I'll be coming into MEL via SYD, making it a DOM-INT connection. SO, I guess I should probably sticked with our planned side trip to the WLG area, and save south island for NEXT time. It's not like there's nothing to do in the Wellington area, right??? Not knowing a thing about NZ, we we're thinking about going into Auckland, but that wasn't possible due to a rule about crossing the Tasman from Auckland and going on to the US - perhaps someone here could elucidate? We would have had to have returned directly from Auckland, which would have meant J class only. So, we opted for WLG. We are scheduled to go direct MEL-WLG on 11/21. Will we be access the domestic QF Club that is so highly recommended? The return will also be direct, but we should have ample time to walk around. So let me get this straight - there's food, something besides nuts and cookies, in the club? What a novel idea!
As for the window issue - yes, I am a weather person, and this is the first time anyone has noticed I was in Cairns for a hurricane conference. Took the CO route LAX/HNL/GUM/CNS. All the way to GUM is daylight, and the views were great! Do LAX-MEL-LAX flights typically go out full in F? Definitely will see if we can move back to row 3 or 4 - thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 5:52 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Not sure which rule you refer to re AKL, but suspect it is about routing through a port twice on an award ticket so something like that.

You won't be able to visit the Domestic lounge at MEL since your MEL-WLG flight is an international flight and will depart from the international terminal. But you will be able to access the QC Business Class lounge at the INt terminal. Since you have F tickets, you may also ask for access to the F lounge at MEL, but might not get in. Not a great deal of difference. Free food and drinks in both.

Most of the MEL-LAX flight is night, except for departure and arrival. And the FA's will ask that the shades be down once the sun sets and they will try to keep them down until breakfast is served just prior to arrival in LAX. Its a 14 hour flight and a short night due to easterly heading, so they like to keep the cabin dark for as long as possible after sunrise.

Not sure how full F is out of MEL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.