Wiki Posts
Search

Making Silver

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF NS, UA 2P
Making Silver

This year i will be doing a RTW with our route giving me 300 status credits for the trip. This looks as though it will be the only travel i do in the FF year and was wondering if it is worth making an extra couple of flights to make silver. Next year i should do more travel so may have enough credits to retain it. Is being Silver something that is worth the extra effort to attain or are the benifits minimal. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
If you are travel on QF next year the 25% bonus points for being silver will come in handy.

As well as the QF invitation, higher qaitlist priority and ability to checkin at counters with a smaller line!

It is all a matter of what is the cost of the extra flights worth to you.

Also the requalification is less than the original qualification level, so the best solution would be to see if you can roll some of next year's flights forward?

Mark
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:25 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
IMO, if you are a Qantas Club Member at the moment then I'm not sure making silver is all that useful to you.

With upgrading it may be a little more of benifit to you but then you would need to weigh up how often you seek to be upgraded.

If you're not a QC member, then I would try to make silver then at least you will have some standing with the airline in terms of seat preference, 1 free lounge invite (big deal) and of course those lovely baggage tags to flash about.

Regards,
Old Jan 13, 2003, 5:12 am

My father is a long standing (lifetime) silver member and seems to ALWAYS get upgraded. As a lowly Qantas Club member I have never received even a 'whiff' of an upgrade.

A few months ago he was evenv upgraded to HKG from X class - on a 30,000 point promotion!

I regularly travel with him and he is always preallocated a better seat than me (ie, he gets 3A on the 737s, while I am back in about row 7).

So, yes, silver has its benefits.

MD
Old Jan 13, 2003, 5:36 am
Suspended

Location: Brisbane, Qld, Aust QF WP, OW Emerald, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, NW, SQ KF
Being Lifetime Silver certainly has it's advantages - QF know that he has done 7,000+ SC's since 1998. Tell me that's not signifiant...he'll always get upgrades. Most of us are still plowing away towards it...I'll need at least another 12/18 months.

Wonder if Lifetime QC & Lifetime Silver will get me anywhere???
Old Jan 13, 2003, 5:03 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LindsayWilson:
Being Lifetime Silver certainly has it's advantages - QF know that he has done 7,000+ SC's since 1998. Tell me that's not signifiant...he'll always get upgrades. Most of us are still plowing away towards it...I'll need at least another 12/18 months.

</font>
Doesn't seem to work for me. I've been lifetime silver since they brought it in, and have not had an upgrade since! A few years back I had more upgrades than not, but in the last two years I would not have even had 5% of op-upgrades in any flights (domestic and international).
Old Jan 13, 2003, 6:29 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
b][/QUOTE]
Doesn't seem to work for me.[/B][/QUOTE]

That's 'coz you drink the wrong scotch. I also must drink the wrong stuff....
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:57 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by og:
That's 'coz you drink the wrong scotch. I also must drink the wrong stuff....</font>
I knew there must be a good reason for it. Now, please someone tell me the right scotch and I'll happily give it a go (unless it costs more than A$75 at my local bottle shop, or I will have to wait until August when I return from my next international trip).

Editted to add that tonight I am off the scotch. But a 6-pack of Boags has found its way into my fridge. Or at least 5 of the six made it to the fridge.

Five green bottle sitting in the fridge,
Five green bottle sitting in the fridge,
And it one more green bottle should accidently be drunk,
There'd be James Boag's sitting in the fridge ....

[This message has been edited by NM (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 14, 2003, 3:01 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LindsayWilson:

</font>
I hardly ever get upgrades anymore.....

Of course nearly all of my flying these days is NTL-SYD-NTL or NTL-BNE-NTL. **** Dash-8s & 717s. :-)

Besides, now I can just pay to fly J when the fancy takes me (ie: when flying with my wife).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.