Snack on Q

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2002, 9:35 pm
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Snack on Q

Posted today on aus.aviation

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">New Look Qantas International Economy Class
Thursday, 19 December 2002

Qantas today announced the launch of snack on Q, a unique refreshment concept, as part of a new look International Economy Class.

Presented in a reusable draw string bag, snack on Q is an assortment of high quality snack items such as health bars, fruit, chocolates and mints that will be given to customers on longer flights after the main meal service.

Qantas Executive General Manager Sales and Marketing John Borghetti said that snack on Q allows customers to enjoy a selection of snacks whenever they wish throughout the flight.

"For example, customers can choose what snack to enjoy while watching the latest release movie of their choice on our award winning inflight entertainment system."

The new look International Economy Class meal service also features:

individual bottles of mineral water;

a new range of premium wines in individual bottles;

new meal trays featuring glass salad bowls and wine glasses;

new menus with more generous servings; and

a selection of lighter style Continental Breakfast choices;

International Economy Class passengers will also receive an amenity pouch containing socks, eyeshade, toothbrush and toothpaste, enabling them to sleep more comfortably and freshen up before landing.

"These improvements will offer our customers greater choice and comfort and ensure Qantas delivers the best International Economy Class product experience in the world," Mr Borghetti said.</font>
Sounds interesting. Can't wait for the feedback.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 1:13 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I only hope that the eye masks are the "breathable" type. Nothing worse than the plastic ones that are like wearing "glad-wrap" for a long night. Give me the nice cotton ones that are cool and breath.

I usually have an old amenity kit with me with my own favourite toothbrush /paste and other essential that are NOT given out (deodorant, cotton eye mask etc.)... just in case by bag is not waiting for me! Do others find that some of this stuff is generally useless? I think I'd rather have a nicer quality wine (in individual bottle) than the amentiy kit.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 3:21 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
My family and I are flying QF12 Economy LAX - SYD tonight, so I'll report on the new International Economy service in a few days. As for onboard amenities... A couple weeks ago my daughter and I flew AA Business Class R/T LAX - LHR, so we'll use the nice kit we got on the daytime return and did not use. I don't know who packs the Qantas toothpaste, but it's kinda bitter... I much prefer a small tube of good old Colgate!
Old Dec 19, 2002, 4:53 pm
NM
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by prspad:
My family and I are flying QF12 Economy LAX - SYD tonight, so I'll report on the new International Economy service in a few days. As for onboard amenities... A couple weeks ago my daughter and I flew AA Business Class R/T LAX - LHR, so we'll use the nice kit we got on the daytime return and did not use. I don't know who packs the Qantas toothpaste, but it's kinda bitter... I much prefer a small tube of good old Colgate! </font>
Please do report back. Qantas are notorious for anouncing change that will happen months into the future, so it will be interesting to see if the Snack on Q has made it to reality at the same time the announcement was made!

I don't like wearing eye masks and have a drawer full of them - the kids use them as blind folds for party games. I do like collecting ear plugs as they come in very handy in the workshop, but they did not mention any ear plugs in the new Y amenity kits.

When will they drop the "premium wines in individual bottles" concept and include "premium scotches in individual bottles" in Y?
Old Dec 19, 2002, 8:28 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"premium scotches in individual bottles" in Y?[/B][/QUOTE]

preferably 750 ml or 1000 ml individual bottles....
Old Dec 19, 2002, 8:51 pm
NM
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by og:
preferably 750 ml or 1000 ml individual bottles....</font>
Now you're talkin'. 750 should do for a flight. Heck, I'll even settle for one of those 200ml versions of the Blue - so long as they offer seconds .

I knew we could get this thread onto the booze topic!
Old Dec 21, 2002, 12:27 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll skip the JW Blue and have a Laphroaig. Sorry about that!

Now that we've got this thread round to alcohol instead of snacks on Q, what do you reckon is the best duty free alcohol for judging the CPI rating in different countries (like the BigMac does the same from country to country). To me, Laphroaig is slightly cheaper in SYD or MEL than SIN and heaps cheaper than LHR. This is consistent with consumer prices.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 4:43 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Hey Og,
I've got to give you credit, man... To drink that great, peat-earthy Laphroaig... You must carry your "cajones" around in a wheelbarrow? I prefer the meeker stuff like McCallan 12 y/o or Johnny Walker Green Label Single Malt. We can't buy the Green label in the US, so I usually have to pick it up at duty free in the UK to take home. Cheers!
Old Dec 23, 2002, 2:10 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I have yet to see JW Green (that shows how much I trawl through the shops looking for anything other than the chosen stuff from Isle of Skye). I can only think the colour is not a brand name but a product warranty of the feeling the next morning??
Old Dec 23, 2002, 6:39 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by prspad:
I prefer the meeker stuff like McCallan 12 y/o or Johnny Walker Green Label Single Malt. We can't buy the Green label in the US, so I usually have to pick it up at duty free in the UK to take home. Cheers!</font>
Actually it is JW Green Label Pure Malt and not Single malt. The whiskey is a blend (in the JW tradition) but entirely malt (and zero grain alcohol, unlike the JW Black and maybe Gold). It is 15 year old vatted malt whiskey, and quite nice. Sufficiently nice that I bought 2 bottles of it yesterday (USD 40 per bottle). Similar quality to the 15 year Glenfiddich, it is an excellent sweet (not smoky) whiskey -- makes a nice counterpoint to the Bowmore (and other Islay's) that I've been drinking. The JW marketing strategy is to sell this in Duty Free shops (almost every duty free has it) and keep it in short supply (maybe because they can't get more stock of sufficient quality, at least I like to pretend that this is the case). I got 2 bottles because I like it, and because with 2 you get a nice shoulder bag which holds 2 bottles of JW (free bag, but not free whiskey, they have their priorities right). Footnote: just taste tested the JW line (black, gold, blue and green) and green is definitely the best value, maybe the best overall (amazing given that gold is 50% more and blue is over triple the price of green). Even more impressive is how good the black is (in its own way) and the variety of styles that the 4 blends represent. They are all different and meant to be different (in a complementary way). The green is luscious as well as sweet, yet with a great depth of flavour, definitely an after-dinner brandy kind of scotch. And not a "snack on Q" kind of scotch at all (in fact I doubt QF would spend this much for scotch in F, though they should).

[This message has been edited by number_6 (edited 12-23-2002).]
Old Dec 23, 2002, 8:40 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This sounds like I need to venture out of my comfort zone and explore some different flavours. Suppose I'll have to do another overseas trip to justify (1) the flights; and (2) the duty free scotch purchases. Oh, I suppose I should check out another country / city too!
Old Dec 23, 2002, 10:04 pm

What's great about this website is that you can pick up decent information about flying high... Both in the air and also when you're on the ground!
Old Dec 26, 2002, 1:25 am
NM
Original Poster

Been busy for the last week or so (Christmas shopping, wife's birthday etc). I was much impressed to return to this thread and fine you have been maintaining the standard of scotch-related recommendations. Well done all .
Old Dec 26, 2002, 6:37 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NM, how did Santa get that crate of scotch down the chimney (hope there was a dram left out to help him on his way...)
Old Dec 26, 2002, 11:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
Qantas are notorious for anouncing change that will happen months into the future, so it will be interesting to see if the Snack on Q has made it to reality at the same time the announcement was made![/B]</font>
It's reality. Snack on Q is also being introduced to the Perth Citiflyer flights as well as a second service delivered in both cabins before arrival.
Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.