Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

can I upgrade QF around the world ticket on AA segments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2002, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic

Hi,
I am flying on an around-the-world ticket purchased from Qantas in December. The actual flight will be on AA. Can I use AA miles to upgrade this flight? If not, can I use QF miles to upgrade it? Any advice would be very helpful as this is my first time using US segments of an around the world ticket.

Thanks,
Aussiemate

Old Sep 30, 2002, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aussiemate:
Hi,
I am flying on an around-the-world ticket purchased from Qantas in December. The actual flight will be on AA. Can I use AA miles to upgrade this flight? If not, can I use QF miles to upgrade it? Any advice would be very helpful as this is my first time using US segments of an around the world ticket.

Thanks,
Aussiemate

</font>
Which flight specifically? AA dont fly round the world. Also, is it an AA flight number on the ticket or a QF one?

If you are on a QF flight with a QF flight number, then you can use QF miles to upgrade.

If you are on a QF flight with an AA flight number you cannot upgrade.

If on an AA flight with a QF flight number then you cannot upgrade.

If on an AA domestic flight with an AA flight number then , if AA Gold or higher, then you can upgrade with AA upgrade credits or purchased AA upgrades.

If on an AA international flight with an AA flight number then you cannot upgrade.

Dave
Old Sep 30, 2002, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Dave,

It's AA845 from TPA - LAS. It's an AA flight and AA flight number, but I thought I might have a problem since I bought the around the world fare from Qantas since I started the trip in Australia. I don't have status on either airline.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 2:06 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
No status? Then you won't have the AA stickers to upgrade the domestic flight (and even if you could upgrade with miles, it wouldn't be worth 30,000 AA miles for the one-way flight). Enjoy the More Room Throughout Coach (MRTC) and have a great flight.

------------------
ff

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Fly first class now or your children will</font>
Old Sep 30, 2002, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

I thought it was 15,000 miles to upgrade one-way. That is what I was hoping to do. Definitely don't have any stickers. Is it really 30,000 AA miles for a one-way upgrade??? That is high!
Old Sep 30, 2002, 2:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aussiemate:
I thought it was 15,000 miles to upgrade one-way. That is what I was hoping to do. Definitely don't have any stickers. Is it really 30,000 AA miles for a one-way upgrade??? That is high! </font>
It is 15,000 miles one way however the ticket may well not be eligable to upgrade with miles if not purchased from AA. Best to phone them up and ask. If you had status, them you could have purchased upgrade credits.

Dave
Old Sep 30, 2002, 6:01 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It's AA845 from TPA - LAS. </font>
Don't suggest you upgrade this flight, the service is sub-standard as this is a low revenue route (both Tampa and Las Vegas are leisure destinations with very low airfares). There may not even be a meal served (probably it actually goes TPA-DFW-LAS and depending on the time of day it may have only beverage service, even in F -- I can't find AA845 in the current timetable, your flight must be after the next schedule change). Save the upgrade for a Flagship service route (LAX-JFK or LAX-MIA), which does have some value. A free AA roundtrip ticket costs 25000 miles, so 15000 miles is a bit wasteful, esp. if you don't get the true AA F service.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 11:33 pm

I don't have status on either airline. </font>
This can be easily fixed. Just do AA's Gold (5000 points) Challenge or Platinum (10,000 points) Challenge. Your flight from OZ to the US will get you instant status.
Old Oct 1, 2002, 12:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spider:
This can be easily fixed. Just do AA's Gold (5000 points) Challenge or Platinum (10,000 points) Challenge. Your flight from OZ to the US will get you instant status.</font>
Im assuming that since he is based in NY, he isnt starting with an Oz to US flight which mght scupper that idea. He might do well to take the gold or platinum challenge during the trip.

Dave
Old Oct 1, 2002, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice. I am currently in NY, so the challenges won't help me at this point. I will take under advisement the fact that first from TPA-DFW-LAS isn't that good. I called last night and the agent said I could upgrade the flight which was a pleasant surprise. I don't have many miles on AA which is why I thought I would use them.
Old Oct 1, 2002, 9:11 am

Dave, I believe that he started his trip from OZ since he said
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I bought the around the world fare from Qantas since I started the trip in Australia. I don't have status on either airline.</font>
Aussiemate, AA challenges can be "backdated", so if you started your RTW from OZ not that long ago then you can still get that challenge done.
Old Oct 2, 2002, 8:10 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
I had trouble using a VIPOW to upgrade a niece travelling with me on an AA flight domestically in the US.
This had been pre arranged via the AA EXP desk, so it should not have been the hassle it was.
So even with status, there is not guarantee it will be trouble free.
i have never had problems previously with using AA miles , or VIPOW's on AA flights even if they were QF or BA ticket stock, but that WAS flying into the US from an International port. .
Old Oct 2, 2002, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Spider,

I did start the trip from Oz, but I flew on QF and Cathay Pacific (and one AA segment) and earned QF miles on all flights. Any way to backdate the promotion under these circumstances?

Aussiemate
Old Oct 2, 2002, 12:21 pm

Spider,

I did start the trip from Oz, but I flew on QF and Cathay Pacific (and one AA segment) and earned QF miles on all flights. Any way to backdate the promotion under these circumstances?

Aussiemate
</font>
If you earned miles intp one account you cannot now apply those miles to another scheme. So in your case, you are stumped methinks

Dave
Old Oct 3, 2002, 7:51 am

I did start the trip from Oz, but I flew on QF and Cathay Pacific (and one AA segment) and earned QF miles on all flights. Any way to backdate the promotion under these circumstances?</font>
Well, it's not impossible but it can take a long time since QF is involved and they are pretty slow.

It's been done by some other FT'ers. Basically, you need to get QF to reverse the points out of your account since they were credited to that account "by error". If you are still interested then I can give you further instructions but IMO, it is not really worth the trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.