Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tell Me About Perth

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Tell Me About Perth

Looking to burn miles for a holiday destination, and I am intrigued by Perth. Christmas weather looks great, but is there enough to do for a week? We have three kids, ages 10, 9 and 7. They can get bored quite easily.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 12:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Perth is okay, but can get very hot over Christmas - temps in the high 30's,/low 40's are not uncommon, although it will be a dry heat with little to no humidity.

Plenty to see and do in a week, so I would not worry on that score.

Dave
Old Sep 6, 2002, 1:27 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Be prepared to rent a car and get outside Perth also. Beaches will be great at Christmas. Some great country, forrests etc to see and explore to the south. Plan on seeing Rotnest Island for a day. River cruises on the Swan River. Margaret River if you like wineries.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 3:20 pm

Perth can be a fun place!
I spent a few months there once. It isn't as 'citified' as Syd or Mel, and a little slower, but nice environs.

Rottnest Island (AKA Rotto) is a nice trip, and you get to see the Quokkas! There're like little rats, only nicer. You can stay over on the Island, or just visit for the day.

There's also (at least used to be), right around Perth, a place called Underwater World with dolphin shows, etc. Kind of a small Seaworld.

Fremantle (AKA Freo) is also a nice place near the water.

Margaret River is a nice resort-ish type place, with good white wine vineyards.

The Pinnacles are also nice, a natural formation of stuff coming out of the group, kind of like large stalagmites (or is it stalagtites?). I recall its on the way to Geralton (below).

Overall, the coast line is nice.

Just for a detour, your kids might appreciate Cape Leewin (sp?), where the Southern (Pacific) Ocean and the Indian Ocean meet.

Geralton is nice as a town for its big sand dunes and EXCELLENT views being right on the ocean.

All good stuff. Again, many people would pick other places than Perth, but if you want to go to Perth there's lots to make a nice vacation out of.

I'm getting a little nostalgic already!

Two facts:
Perth is the most isolated city in the world, considering its own population and the distance to the next city (Jakarta (west)is closer than Sydney is (east).

Perth also has more road per person than any other city.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 3:31 pm

One of my fave cities in Oz, actually. There isn't enough to do *in* Perth for a week, but certainly around perth for two weeks. Beaches, wineries, golf, etc. Hot as hell in the summer, though. Nicest in the spring and fall.

Old Sep 6, 2002, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Does the summer heat equate to Phoenix? If so, we will look at another option, such as SYD or MEL plus Queenstown, NZ. We've been to Sydney before and loved it. Would like to try Melbourne--but again I'm unsure if it would hold the kids' attention for a week. Brisbane is probably way too hot in the summer.
Thanks for the input.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 9:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by glenngpr:
Thanks for the info. Does the summer heat equate to Phoenix? If so, we will look at another option, such as SYD or MEL plus Queenstown, NZ. We've been to Sydney before and loved it. Would like to try Melbourne--but again I'm unsure if it would hold the kids' attention for a week. Brisbane is probably way too hot in the summer.</font>
If Brisbane is too hot in summer then forget Perth. and go for Melbourne.

January hosts the Australian Open, and having umpired at all four grand slams, I actually think it is the friendliest tennis tournament in the world - and certainly the best value, with a ground pass setting you back about AUD20 (about USD11) and getting you into all outside courts as well as four show courts.

Apart from the tennis there will be more than enough to keep you occupied for a month, let alone a week.

Dave
Old Sep 6, 2002, 9:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by glenngpr:
Does the summer heat equate to Phoenix? </font>
Considerably hotter than Phoenix. Go to Melbourne, it has great weather around Christmas and is one of the great cities in the world. Plus very nice wine country in the outskirts.

Old Sep 6, 2002, 9:55 pm

Think it was 50c when I was there. If not that warm, then close to it. Maybe 48. Or around 110f.

And no, not hotter than Phoenix. About the same, but not as consistant and stifling.

It really isn't that bad if you are used to warm weather. And if all else fails, go hang out at Fremantle and look at the Aussies strut their stuff on the beach. Beautiful people in Perth. People watching on the ped streets is fun if you are into that sort of thing. In any event, it's a good way to pass time with a pint or six. Also the people are pretty friendly. Quite a bit more so than a few other places I have been there.

My best advice is this. If you want to go, then go. If you get there and hate it, then fly to Melbourne. It's only a few hours, and tix aren't horribly expensive. But I really don't think you will hate it, and I think you will have plenty of opportunity to embrace the sun, or hide from it.

[This message has been edited by Darren (edited 09-06-2002).]
Old Sep 7, 2002, 6:10 am

Programs: American Airlines-Executive Platinum
Hi, I have not to Perth yet but I would highly recommend Kangaroo Island-itan island off Adelaide in South Australia- its great, there are ofcourse kangaroos but that just the beginning there are koalas,, wallabies,Australian sea lions, New Zealand seals, ,echidnas, Fairy penguins, pelican,black swans, cocatoo,and emu over a 1/3 of the island are national parks-lots of great costal scenery caves and very strange rock formations. Also there is fishing and scuba diving etc; I was only there dor 2 days but it was great.It would be wonderful for a family adventure.I hope this helps maybe you can add to your Perth trip, Sara

------------------

Old Sep 7, 2002, 8:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
In mid-October of 1998 I spent two days on Kangaroo Island and enjoyed it very much; so glad I included it in my itinerary.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 8:17 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Darren:
Think it was 50c when I was there. If not that warm, then close to it. Maybe 48. Or around 110f.
</font>
Perth does not get to 50c. In January and early Feb they will hit (and slightly exceed) 40c and can stay there for several consecutive days awaiting the next cold front to pass through. But it is dry heat and not humid like the north east of Australia. 42 or 43 would be considered hot by the locals. There may have been odd days in the past hundred years that have approached the very high 40's, but it is not common.

As for Melbourne at Christmas, their reliable warm/hot weather does not start until the very end of December. I have a photo of our children opening their Christmas presents gathered around the fireplace due a very chilly and wet start to Christmas day.

Having lived in Melbourne for 5.5 years, I decided that 15 winters was enough and it was time to return to the north. In January and February, Melbourne can be as hot (and dry) as Perth and Adelaide.

If you like the idea of Perth, then go for it. Rent a car that is airconditioned (most will be), and stay at a hotel with airconditioning and a pool. Get out-doors and spend plenty of time at the beaches and pools. Use plenty of sun screen and drink plenty of water.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 8:49 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
If you don't like hot weather and are looking for somewhere beautiful and a bit different (even in Australia) but still full of Australian charm then consider (especially at that time of year) Tasmania. Even with children in tow (unless they are theme park fanatics only) it's the place many Australians themselves would choose for a holiday at that time of year. You need a car, you need to tour.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 8:57 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
Having lived in Melbourne for 5.5 years, I decided that 15 winters was enough and it was time to return to the north.</font>
15 winters in 5.5 years is enough to convince anyone to leave. But I thought it was only in Sydney that they said Melbourne has 3 winters each year?

Back on the topic of visiting Perth, it is a nice city but I wouldn't recommend going there on a first trip to Australia (even if that will be the only trip). The analogy is if someone from Europe has never seen the United States and Santa Barbara is suggested as the ideal place to visit to learn about the US and see the sights. While SB is very nice, it isn't representative of the rest of the US (or even of much of California). Perth merits a special trip on its own to visit, but it would not make a "top 10" list of attractions in Australia (or a "top 20" for the south pacific). If you do go to Perth be sure to research your itinerary well in advance, the infrastructure is less dense than in the more developed parts of Australia. Random trips can be a bit frustrating (by contrast random trips around Melbourne or Sydney can be quite interesting as there is such a variety).

Old Sep 7, 2002, 11:42 am
Original Poster

We have been to OZ before, albeit 12 years ago. Went to Sydney, Hamilton Island and Surfers Paradise. Loved it all!! But wouldn't mind looking for something different; that's why the interest in Perth. We do enjoy sunshine, but brutally hot weather we can do without. Maybe Perth, or Melbourne..still can't decide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.