Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Miles on QF domestic flights in New Zealand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2001, 9:40 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I'm flying QF domestically in NZ soon and asked them to input a BA frequent flyer number into my record. They said no dice on domestic NZ flights - only QF frequent flyer miles. Has anyone else heard of this same stipulation?
Old Nov 27, 2001, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It is a QF service on QF metal (ooops I do remember that they are wet leasing air pacific planes as they were cheaper than the old AN planes) so should be eligible for QF miles. Maybe they are still reading something odd where it refered to the old QF NZ services or AN NZ services where you may have not received BA miles.

But given the airport has oneworld signs all over the place I would find it odd.

So as they say on the united forum, if no success hang up and try again!

Mark
Old Nov 28, 2001, 2:44 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Interesting, my initial assumption would have been that BA points would apply. However, when looking at the on-line QF timetable for flights between Auckland and Christchurch (you didn't mention where you are flying so I made an assumption), I notice all services are flagged as operated by another airline.

Some examples for tomorrow are:
QF4109 - Air Pacific aircraft and crew (737-700)
QF4115 - Polynesian Airlines aircraft and crew (737-800)
QF4123 - Awas for Qantas (737-300)
QF4133 - Awas for Qantas (737-300)
QF4145 - Air Pacific aircraft and crew (737-700)
QF4153 - Awas for Qantas (737-300)

So they may be technically correct by the rules, but as was recommended above, it might be worth trying again.
Old Nov 28, 2001, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
On 08/24 I flew QF 4132 CHC AKL, on Qantas metal, with Australian crew, and received AA miles for the flight. Perhaps QF has withdrawn their metal in the meantime
Old Nov 29, 2001, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Qantas withdrew its metal and wet leased planes in NZ. Reason was that the fall out of leasing foriegn planes in Australia when AN planes and crew were sitting on the ground would have been too great.

So QF withdrew planes and crews from NZ and wet leased Air Pacific planes.

And of course renegged on the deal with the NZ government that they were going to fly their own planes and employ NZ crews after they let QF NZ fall.

Mark
Old Nov 30, 2001, 2:39 pm

Just remembered while some flights (eg. AKL/CHC and AKL/WLG) are on wetleased air pacific planes there are a number of regional flights (eg. CHC/WLG) that are codeshares on Origin Pacific.

It may be the Origin codeshares that do not count?

Mark
Old Dec 2, 2001, 4:51 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Koru Flyer:
Just remembered while some flights (eg. AKL/CHC and AKL/WLG) are on wetleased air pacific planes there are a number of regional flights (eg. CHC/WLG) that are codeshares on Origin Pacific.

It may be the Origin codeshares that do not count?
</font>
And why shouldn't they count? WHy is someone supposed to check as to the actual operator of a flight on a sector such as this? If it carries a QF flight number, and QF normally credits points for travel in that class, then points should be creditted, regardless of who operates the service. Why should a passenger have to find out who operates the szervice (note, I am NOT talking about code shares, which are an entirely different beast).

Dave
Old Dec 3, 2001, 7:54 am

Dave, the wetleased planes should give you QF miles, as they are ordinarily a QF service just that due to AN, QF removed their own aircraft and wetlease planes and crews from air pacific.

Now the origin aircraft is a codeshare arrangement just like QFs codeshares with other carriers.

I know this doesn't help much, but it is just QFs general attitude of well if you want FF points you have to try and work out the system yourself because we wont help.

Mark

Old Dec 3, 2001, 11:56 am

Programs: AA PLT; DL Gold MDL
Two weeks ago I flew QF from CHC to AKL on the leased Air Pacific 737-700 in F. It was great. The seat pitch had to be about 55 inches and the service was fantastic, for this 1 hour flight. We were served a hot meal, but they didn't serive alcohol. I did not receive AA miles as this was part of an award ticket. But, we purchased two flights on QF codeshare service with Origin Pacific from WLG to CHC and from ZQN to CHC and flew on their DH3's. Service was also very pleasant and generous as the F/A came around twice with drinks and snacks. The seats were comfortable and roomy. I did receive AA miles even though I was told I would not.
Old Dec 5, 2001, 5:16 am
Lux

Don't forget that BA generally don't give miles on other airlines' flights unless you're flying full fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.