Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

huge increase in reward costs. I'm MAD!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2001, 4:56 am
Original Poster

I have just this morning received new tables for QF rewards. I can not believe the increase in cost (points required)
eg Christchurch-Melbourne was 30,000
now 52,500
Melbourne-london was 130,000
now 238,125
THATS OVER 100,000 POINTS !

I really need everyones help as to how best use my 140,000 quickly. I was planning on rewards to surprize mum and dad with a trip to london (where i am currently living).
Any ideas?
1) Can i 'buy' a reward ticket for travel next september and then move the travel date to december?
The wording on the book is "all travel to be completed within twelve months of original departure date."
2) If 1) is not possible, should i transfer points to hotel partner (Hilton?)

I will thank Qantas now for the bonus they provided when i moved my anz and amex points over, but unfortunetly it looks like from now on i'll be travelling Star Alliance
LHR-CHC.

Old Jul 12, 2001, 5:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Don't forget the increase in awards as well - 1000 points for a discounted Y SYD-MEL as opposed to 495 under the old scheme - everything has changed, and by and large, most people are better off - some are worse off, but most are better off, and this is what will keep them wedded to QF (which is what QF had in mind).

Dave
Old Jul 12, 2001, 7:46 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I think you might find your figures are wrong. Mel-Lon is now 100000 (ie 30000 points less) ???
Old Jul 13, 2001, 2:44 am

Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia / Tallahassee, Florida, USA / QF Club; QF-Silver; OW-Ruby; AN; DL-Blue.
I think Ozzie is correct- Y rewards have gone down, but J rewards have gone up.

You can still book before sept under the old rules even if travel is for after sept. i just booked a J class ret ticket BNE-LAX for 150,000 for dec01/jan02.

so ring the rewards centre and consult them.
Old Jul 13, 2001, 4:55 am

You can book until 14ht September on the old reward. You can book the travel for August 2002 and then have 1 year to complete the journey so you should get 23 months out of the ticket!get the DRIFT!

------------------
Hyatt Diamond/Hilton Diamond/Starwood Platinum/UA1K-Ansett-WHITE/Qantas-WHITE
Old Jul 13, 2001, 5:00 am

tinkybelle

Are you sure you can book in Sep 01 for Aug 02 and not use it to Aug 03 ??????????

Is this your drift ???????????
Old Jul 17, 2001, 8:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by auszie:
I have just this morning received new tables for QF rewards. I can not believe the increase in cost (points required)
eg Christchurch-Melbourne was 30,000
now 52,500
Melbourne-london was 130,000
now 238,125
THATS OVER 100,000 POINTS !
</font>

Hi there! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster...

I just received the "new" flight rewards table that auszie is referring too... to clarify, I don't think that this table is the same as for the QFF scheme.

The table is specifically for redemption using "reward points" from the Telstra Visa Card, which naturally would be more expensive to purchase tix than via the QFF program.

According to the Red booklet we should have all received announcing the changes, the most expensive economy ticket is just 110,000 for a return up to 26,000 miles... which is actually cheaper than under the old system.

ie. switch your points from the Visa Card to QFF and redeem them via QFF to get two tix for the price of one from Visa!
Old Jul 22, 2001, 10:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozzie:
I think you might find your figures are wrong. Mel-Lon is now 100000 (ie 30000 points less) ???</font>
My Qantas flight Rewards flyer clearly states that MEL-LHR is 238,125 SuperSaver Reward Points OR 263,125 Saver Rewards Points. Of course it is from Qantas Telstra VISA card, so Qantas statement may say a different thing even though I can't recall when I received the last one.
Old Jul 27, 2001, 12:26 am

Multi-sector-
In a word YES!.
Book for the last possible date inc return like aug 2 out aug 4 back . then you have till aug 1 the following year to use the complete journey.
it clearly states that the ticket is valid for 1 year from outward journey!
Old Jul 27, 2001, 12:46 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spider:
My Qantas flight Rewards flyer clearly states that MEL-LHR is 238,125 SuperSaver Reward Points OR 263,125 Saver Rewards Points. Of course it is from Qantas Telstra VISA card, so Qantas statement may say a different thing even though I can't recall when I received the last one.</font>
The redemption levels on Telstra and Qantas Telstra Visa cards themselves are much worse than for Qantas frequent flyer points and always have been. Convert them to frequent flyer points first.

If you haven't had any activity on your FF account, you won't get a statement. Of course, if you transfer points to it, you'll have activity and get a statement within the next few months.

The smart move would have been to transfer all your points before the 30th June, when the 20% bonus was being offered, of course.
Old Jul 27, 2001, 7:29 am

tinkybelle,

Yeh, thanks for that, I booked last week 4 x U Class "Junkets" for JAN/MAR/MAY/JUN 2002 and have got just enough points for another U Class and a X Class. Needless to say I've structured the flights to come in just under 11,000, but will actually exceed it in kms travelled (eg ADL/MEL/CBR same F/N charged as ADL/CBR and SYD/BNE/CNS likewise).

Now that I know I can transfer them one year beyond these dates I might just do that down the track.

However, they are pretty messy itineraries involving up to 10 segments, when I want to change them it may become a nightmare.

It may seem crazy burning up all those points on domestic flights, but it ammounts to something like 46 U Class and 8 X Class flights in excess of 67,000km.
Under the new scheme a plodder like me could never do that kind of junketing in Business.

Anyway that's my two bobs worth, Goodnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.