Tell Me About "Tier Points" Folks!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2000, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Tell Me About "Tier Points" Folks!

http://www.afr.com.au/news/20000814/...2000Aug13.html

This is the AFR confirmation of the $A33 (US$19) Qantas deal.

Someone here must know all about tier levels etc, which I do not understand.

How many round trips at that price need one take to end up with some worthwhile status on QF?

I assume these things count for status and points, as much as any other coach ticket?
Old Aug 14, 2000, 8:32 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Well SYD-BNE is 752km hence 8 tier points each way in discount economy.

(If you live in Europe you get nothing)

700 points required for Silver (not worth much other than upgrades (2) and lounge access), so it's 44 round trips.

Old Aug 14, 2000, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
ozstamps,

After abusing QF in the AN forum you now want status on that airline

I doubt it is worth the effort, as Markie points out you get nothing for it apart from lounge access. But the same can be said for ANs pogramme as well IMHO.

There are easier ways to get status on QF without flying anyway - i.e. through getting comped etc.

For tier points go to the qantas website, but yes increadably confusing and very very mean spirited.

Mark
Old Aug 14, 2000, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Markie, Oh my gawd.. 44 r/t or 88 segments. Even at only $33 it is not worth thinking about, and only then to get to SILVER!!

100 segments on UA for instance gets one to the hallowed 1K, the Nirvana level, with 6 SYSTEMWIDE upgrades, lots of USA confirmed u/gs, double points on every flight, etc.

I am for instance using TWO of these wonderful s/wides to get me from Adelaide to Dusseldorf-Sydney via the USA, - 30,000 miles and 60,000 points and 6 books of domestic upgrade certs, upgraded all the way on the cheapest ticket known to man.

KORU ... I am an equal opportunity commentator on Qantas and happily do it on the Qantas board :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum39/HTML/000071.html

Just thought this low price might have done me some good, as I do fly a lot domestically, but under duress, seeing how mean and as you say, CONFUSING the system seems to be these days.
Old Jul 18, 2001, 10:41 pm

I have resurrected this thread to celebrate Qantas posting 15 tier credits to my account for an AUS$18 bus trip!
Old Jul 20, 2001, 12:04 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
15 tier credits for a cheap bus ride? From where to where, I am looking at the lifetime Silver for 7000 credits or lifetime Gold for whatever it is.

Dave
Old Jul 22, 2001, 10:22 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MukMuk:
I have resurrected this thread to celebrate Qantas posting 15 tier credits to my account for an AUS$18 bus trip!</font>
Oh my G*d!!!! From where to where and how??? Please save us the suspense and tell...
Old Jul 25, 2001, 2:28 am

Paraburdoo to Tom Price.

(It also gets you 48 frequent flyer points!)

Book with Qantas over the phone, not on the internet - the web-site charges $26.

Old Jul 25, 2001, 4:33 am

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold)
I think Kempsey to Port Macquarie will do the same for you..plus it's a lot less remote!
Old Jul 25, 2001, 5:07 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Question is - do you need to take the trip to get the points ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.