Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Is Qantas Better than Ansett, or are they the same ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2001, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

I was a loyal Ansett Flyer, Saphire GR, soon to be Star Gold. BUT recently I was very unhappy about the way Ansett treated me, so I am considering defecting to Qantas.

I fly mainly domestically, and just wanted to know from people who travel alot, whether both airlines are the same, or whether you think one is better than the other.

As I have status with Ansett, and am a golden wing member, changing would be a pain, BUT I would be willing to do it if Qantas treats their elite flyers better.

Any insights ????
Old Jan 23, 2001, 2:45 am

You, and other defectors from Ansett to Qantas would pretty much be matched by defectors from Qantas to Ansett, who have also had a bad hair day.

What was your gripe?

It's generally better to stay with the airline with whom you have the highest status. I fly a bit with Qantas at the moment to burn points that will expire this year, with upgrades. But Ansett usually upgrade me without points, greet me by name at the lounge (no need to show your card, Mr. Welch, can we get you an earlier flight, etc.) and generally provide a better experience.

------------------
Craig
Old Jan 23, 2001, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

My gripe related to a cancelled flight, and the accomodation provided to some passengers and not me, and the lies provided as an excuse when I asked !!! Was very irritating !!!

Do you fly that often with Ansett, I've flown about 40 times in the last year, and never get greated by name, and have NEVER got a free upgrade !!! Whats the secret ???
Old Jan 23, 2001, 5:22 pm

I would guess at least 100 flights with Ansett in the last year. I also fly out of Brisbane, which being smaller, is more likely to have personal service. For example, I've been rung at home when a flight's been majorly delayed.

------------------
Craig
Old Jan 23, 2001, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Okay, so the "secret" is to fly 100 times a year !!!!!! hmmm, I dont think I'll quite get there, thank god !!!!!

So looks like no greeting by name for me !!!!!

[This message has been edited by alexbs (edited 01-23-2001).]
Old Jan 23, 2001, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
Please don't beat a Yank over the head for his input! As a Yank engaged to a Sydneysider Aussie, I think you guys are getting screwed! QF, NZ (intl.), and Ansett (domestic) are giving ya the shaft...royally!!! Join either UA (*Alliance) or AA (oneworld), and screw your airlines...get your miles with an airline that will give you serious status! Ya gotta LIVE in the air to get any kinna status with those Southern Hemisphere airlines!

P.S.--I may have to live my preachings! Thinking seriously of emigrating. Ya got a terrific country...even if ya got nasty snakes, crocs, and sharks...grin

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi!!!

------------------
http://www.denycontinentalthefreddie.com/
Old Jan 23, 2001, 10:10 pm

I don't follow you. How would I get better status with Ansett by joining UA, for example?

------------------
Craig
Old Jan 24, 2001, 2:41 am

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold)
Excuse me..you have to 'live' in the air to get any kind of status with QF/AN? I just got my QF 'silver' (OW sapphire) renewed after a total of 27 segments (8 actual trips) last year (quiet year!). I doubt very much I'd do a lot better with AA. (Even at the top level with AA, it appears you still have to pay for US domestic lounge access).
Old Jan 24, 2001, 7:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: QF Platypus UA PE MM HH Diamond
Depends very much on your pattern of travel.
For instance, fly the cheapest UA SYD/LHR/SYD plus SYD/BOS/SYD in Jan/Feb and you are a UA Premier Exec. for two years. However, if you are a Oz domestic flyer or have a number of full Y/C tix, then QF/AN recognize and reward you. Starting up much later, the Oz schemes built in recognition of revenue received better than the US originators of FF schemes. Take that into account, and you can make a sensible choice.
Happy Chinese New Year
Koala
Old Jan 24, 2001, 7:13 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTS), VA nothing, DL Skymiles
WHughes3,

You can redeem frequent flyer miles to receive complementary lounge access with all the US domestic carries (I think it's approx 30K miles for one year's lounge Admiral's Lounge - AA, Red Carpet - UA, Crown Room - DL, etc).

However you still have to be prepared to pay for all alcoholic drinks in the US domestic lounges, plus tips of course. As for nibbles, don't set your standards too high - plastic cheese and crackers are about the best you get
Old Jan 24, 2001, 9:35 pm

Yes, I'm afraid I don't see much in any of the U.S. FF schemes that makes me the least bit envious!
Old Jan 24, 2001, 9:43 pm

Craig:

Like Koala says, depends on your pattern of travel. For example, if you fly discount economy on QF, they only give you .7 points...not sure about Ansett. UA and AA will give you 100% credit...ditto with just about every other U.S. airline. CO, IMHO, is best, but they don't fly into SYD or MEL any more...only CNS.

Also, QF will only give you upgrades based on mileage 24 hours prior to your flight. UA, AA, and just about every other airline I know will give you upgrades at time of booking. Only exception is CO...30 DAYS prior to flight! Somehow not quite the same as 24 hours!...grin

Take a look at UA and AA web sites. Actually I prefer CO overall, but they have very limited (CNS only) service to Oz, and they aren't tied in with oneworld or *Alliance.

Distance are so huge in the southern hemisphere that they'd go broke giving northern hemisphere type awards...(domestic flight anyplace in the country for 25K miles (42K kilometers). OTOH, U.S. and European airlines wouldn't have any frequent flyer loyalty if they were as parsiminous as most Asian and Aussie airlines.

BTW, one "catch" with AA and oneworld...ya gotta fly AA for at least 4 segments a year to get oneworld credit with their program. No such restriction on UA and *Alliance.

whughes3:

Excuse me...I just got Gold (2nd tier elite) on CO with 15 segments...4 1/6 actual trips. That gives me unlimited FREE (no dollars, no miles) domestic upgrades 48 hours prior to flight. You get that on Aussie airlines, right???

Koala:

You're right on target! QF/AN are more revenue sensitive than mile/kilo sensitive.

And Happy Chinese New Year to you! The Year of the Snake! How appropriate for the airlines!!!

Gary:

Yep, but that's where U.S. airlines are really sorry! They charge for drinks...methinks the old U.S. prejudice against booze. Remember, we actually passed an amendment to our Constitution against booze. As similar as the U.S. and Oz are, there still are some differences...Oz was populated by convicts...the U.S. was populated by convicts and religious nuts!!!...grin

And paying for booze in domestic clubs is pretty pathetic...but CO and DL are free, even in the U.S. clubs.

Gary...points raised legitimately by a true Aussie!!!...grin

------------------

[This message has been edited by SemiElite (edited 01-24-2001).]
Old Jan 24, 2001, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

From my point of view, whilst the US programs are better in terms of Discount Economy earning, and upgrades and such; as I fly domestically 40 times a year,on mainly short trips, I find it easier to get status based on the "tier" credit system.

sydney to Melbourne is my most frequent trip, and is only about 800kms....so not that many miles.

With Ansett, I get tier credits based on each trip, and I can upgrade quite easily using points. Using an American program would make it difficult, if not impossible, to upgrade, and would provide me with little real relationship with Ansett.

So, I cant quite see the point of using another *A program, unless it is to save up for a big redemption ????
Old Jan 25, 2001, 1:59 am

alexbs,

How about this?:

1. CO, UA, AA--First tier elite, 30 segments (if you don't like miles)

2. CO, UA, AA--Second tier elite, 60 segments

3. CO & UA--Top tier elite...100 segments...sorry, AA won't take segments for its top tier, gotta have 100K miles (167 km)
U.S. airlines are better simply because there is more competition. I've flown QF, both domestically and internationally, and they are very good service-wise...it's only their FF program that leaves something to be desired!

------------------
Old Jan 25, 2001, 2:10 pm

'U.S airlines are better'?? Hmm, I think it would be a fairly safe generalization to say that, in terms of service quality, *all* non-U.S. airlines are superior to *all* U.S. airlines (with a few obvious exceptions of course!) 'Competition' is a very mixed blessing in this regard. The non-U.S. carriers don't offer these extravagant FF schemes because they don't have to bribe people to fly with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.