Wiki Posts
Search

FF program enhancements*

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I hope this hasn't been posted already. If yes, please delete. It came with a QF E-Mail today.

"From mid 2008 exciting new benefits are planned, including increased seat availability for when you want to fly with our new Any Seat Awards. We're also planning to expand our extensive family of partners and our reward range, so you'll be able to earn and redeem points in a variety of new ways."
So is the likelihood that they will reduce the number of 'normal' award seats so that you are forced to use your points for the enhanced any seat feature?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I hope this hasn't been posted already. If yes, please delete. It came with a QF E-Mail today.
An interesting news article to accompany that information is here: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23349,00.html

Qantas makes money out of its frequent flyer program by selling points to companies such as banks and credit card companies.

It is currently run by offering frequent flyers capacity the airline doesn't think it can sell.

This means there are limited number of seats available and that availability has shrunk as demand has increased.

Qantas is now looking at making all its inventory available to frequent flyers.

"Just like going online, or going through a travel agent or ringing up direct, if you've got enough points you may be able to go in there and buy a seat with your points rather than with cash or credit card," Mr Gregg said.

"So you can take any seat any time out of inventory.

"As well as that, you still leave the marginal piece in place.

"So if there's spare capacity in the system and people want to redeem their frequent flyer points using that spare capacity on a marginal basis, they will be able to do that to the extent that it's available."

Mr Gregg said people wanting to book a seat taken out of inventory that could have been sold would have to pay more points.

"Whether it's the same as what you pay if you bought a seat through a travel agent will be the twitch," he said.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:26 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by bensyd
So is the likelihood that they will reduce the number of 'normal' award seats so that you are forced to use your points for the enhanced any seat feature?
I had a discussion with Kiwi Flyer about this on the weekend using NZ as an example. When NZ Airpoints went to Airdollars and buy any seat the award bucket went down, important for *A partners as there were now fewer seats for them to use. So for QFF they can get the seats, at a high burn factor, but for 1W partners, such as AA, they may now find it more difficult to get QF flights.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
So for QFF they can get the seats, at a high burn factor, but for 1W partners, such as AA, they may now find it more difficult to get QF flights.
That is why if you are flying from Oz to LOTFAP the best way for an AAer is via HKG on CX or via NRT on JL/AA - just tried on -330 days and not a single J seat on QF for 2-3 days either side of my preferred date... shame I didnt have enough points for F...

Interesting comments that the award space are seats that they don't think will sell. That is fair enough - then we have a sliding scale of increasing points fees as you get closer to the travel date for some form of AAnytime AAwards. But then as you get very close to the date of travel and QF realise they wont sell any more seats will teh price fall again...
Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:56 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, EK, VA
Originally Posted by bensyd
This was the case with AC recently.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I had a discussion with Kiwi Flyer about this on the weekend using NZ as an example. When NZ Airpoints went to Airdollars and buy any seat the award bucket went down, important for *A partners as there were now fewer seats for them to use. So for QFF they can get the seats, at a high burn factor, but for 1W partners, such as AA, they may now find it more difficult to get QF flights.
Not necessarily more difficult. With Airpoints the economy seats (and shorthaul business) are only available on "airbucks for fare" basis. While I believe the award booking class availability was reduced, there is also less competition for these (since "airbucks for fare" awards come out of the regular booking classes). As to whether the decrease in award booking class availability matches the decrease in demand, I do not know. I haven't had problem redeeming non-Airpoints awards for NZ flights (other than the usual difficulties for NZ<->LAX/SFO business class).

For longhaul business awards these are available both as "airbucks for fare" and also for regular fixed cost awards (for elite members) so the effect is likely different here.

While I think QFF may be going down similar lines, I haven't seen anything that spells out whether this will be in addition to existing redemptions (as NZ did for longhaul business), or as a replacement of existing redemptions (as NZ did for economy and shorthaul business).
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by simongr
Interesting comments that the award space are seats that they don't think will sell. That is fair enough - then we have a sliding scale of increasing points fees as you get closer to the travel date for some form of AAnytime AAwards. But then as you get very close to the date of travel and QF realise they wont sell any more seats will teh price fall again...
Logically no. Otherwise if you need a last minute seat you would have every incentive to not pay a high fare and instead book as a cheap award.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
With the current QFF program I often see availability a week or so out when there was none in the months before (generally WHY).

e.g. I could go MEL to HKG or SIN and back this weekend on an award if I was so inclined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.