FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   FF program enhancements* (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/725809-ff-program-enhancements.html)

moa999 Aug 15, 2007 8:51 pm

FF program enhancements*

From today's investor presentation (pg. 26)

• Any seat availability on Qantas and Jetstar
• Expanded Frequent Flyer Store reward options
• Wider travel reward options
• Expanded partner base
• Launch of Jetstar loyalty program

It's the "wider travel reward options" that is the interesting one

hobarthoney Aug 15, 2007 9:06 pm

The JQ loyalty program will be interesting. I guess that will be the end of J points when flying *class.

NM Aug 15, 2007 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by moa999 (Post 8239272)
It's the "wider travel reward options" that is the interesting one

it could mean anything from the inclusion of Premium Economy QF awards to using points to pay for travel insurance. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

moa999 Aug 15, 2007 9:46 pm

I would have though that to retain loyalty among the main QF flyers who only occasionally fly JQ that you will still be able to credit to QF, however think that *C will get downgrade to a Premium-Y earning.

simongr Aug 15, 2007 9:57 pm

It still doesnt tell us very much though. This is the same line of comment that we have had since the review of the FFP was announced.

BD1959 Aug 15, 2007 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by moa999 (Post 8239519)
I would have though that to retain loyalty among the main QF flyers who only occasionally fly JQ that you will still be able to credit to QF, however think that *C will get downgrade to a Premium-Y earning.

If that means the end of the nauseous Ads telling us we can fly Business Class for the price of an Economy ticket, then bring it on!!

BD

ozzie Aug 16, 2007 3:48 am

I can see it now:

"Due to our investment in the Airbus A380 and the improved space and capacity that it offers, we are amending some of the redemption rates, particularly for first and business class. We now offer the best products in the sky, and out redemption rates reflect this."

HVB3172 Aug 16, 2007 4:13 am

[QUOTE=ozzie;8240402]I can see it now:

We are amending some of the redemption rates

Yes....That will be the second price rise in two years. And the price for the premium classes is currently twice the price of redemptions on SQ. That's before the rise.

We must have SUCKER written all over us.

Who said there was competition in the Australian market.

HVB:td::mad:

AndDee Aug 16, 2007 4:30 am

Originally Posted by ozzie (Post 8240402)
I can see it now:

"Due to our investment in the Airbus A380 and the improved space and capacity that it offers, we are amending some of the redemption rates, particularly for first and business class. We now offer the best products in the sky, and out redemption rates reflect this."

You must work for Qantas as you even included a spelling mistake ! :D

DownUnderFlyer Aug 16, 2007 6:14 am

Originally Posted by NM (Post 8239516)
it could mean anything from the inclusion of Premium Economy QF awards to using points to pay for travel insurance. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Or the possibility of using points for more hotel stays and car rental etc. But time will tell for sure.

Blackcloud Aug 16, 2007 1:33 pm

Change to Accounting Methodology

Note that on the adoption of A-IFRS the accounting for loyalty schemes changed. QF did not carry a large liability for its hoards of FF points because they knew what ratio etc would be redeemed and therefore what the cost would be to them. I have not studied the A-IFRS as I am no longer a practising accountant, and I am also based in NZ ;), but I do believe that there has been an adverse impact on the Statement of Financial position or peformance upon the adoption of A-IFRS.

Leumas Aug 16, 2007 2:04 pm

I agree with simongr, that told us nothing. (Not criticising moa999, thanks for the posting it though.)

I eagerly await for the news on what they plan to take away. As we know, they will never give on one hand and not take away from another.

I suspect the take away will be even worse than last time (and we thought it was bad then). The last round was mostly caused by the introduction of the Skybed. Now, we're looking at the A380, Premium Economy, Skybed 2, improved First, brand new lounges, and even AVOD...! Imagine the possibilities...!

GoldFlyer Aug 16, 2007 2:15 pm

From experience with Errorplan, upon introduction of their "every seat at any time" award showed that the normal(classic) award redemption became more limited and the new awards were offered at obscene cost (points). The closer the date you wanted the more expensive it became. I expect that a lot of last minute, spontaneous awards for a quicky weekend away to OOL will now cost double or more than what they would if you planned it say 6-12 months away. :td:

Lonely Flyer Aug 16, 2007 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by ozzie (Post 8240402)
I can see it now:

Isn't QF FF already at the top end for redemption rates

bdmaus Aug 16, 2007 3:43 pm

I think the burn rate for QF is obscene, especially if you only earn by flying.

However on the good side - you get 1.5 miles per A$ on the Qantas Amex.

In the UK I only get up to 1.5 miles per £ - so BA miles are about 2.4 times harder to come by (and should be worth 2.4 times more)!

I'm still sitting on my BA companion voucher - and 147K miles... initially I was aiming for LHR-SFO in Club - but 100K points came and went - now I nearly have enough for FIRST... but somehow 200K doesn't seem so far off and that's enough for LHR-SYD in Club - I think I could cope with that (+ free companion) :)