Search

Transferring baggage at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
With regard to locking of bags...I have a hardside samsonite suitcase with three locks. Two are lockable by key and one in between by combination lock.

How do I know if the US authorities will have/or not have the key for my suitcase type-they are built in so have no idea if they are 'approved' or not?

That said the keys and locks have tiny numbers on them so if I locked the two outer key locks and left combination unlocked would that be OK?

Thanks for help here
CJ
To be "TSA Approved", the locks must have the red diamond symbol that appears on this lock. Otherwise, TSA will just break it open if they want to.

FWIW and IMO, I think locking any bags invite further "investigation" and possible foul play.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
To be "TSA Approved", the locks must have the red diamond symbol that appears on this lock. Otherwise, TSA will just break it open if they want to.

FWIW and IMO, I think locking any bags invite further "investigation" and possible foul play.
Wire twist ties on two ends of zippers seem to work perfectly. When twisted properly, it takes a bit of work to untwist them (ie time) so discourages the opportunistic theft of contents (I hope), and TSA can get in if they have to. Sometimes, they even do the zips up again (but not always ).
Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:23 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I had my TSA approved lock destroyed, I guess as nothing remained, on my SYD-AKL flight. Nothing taken from the bag but someone did go through it.
Only thing that I could think of that would have caused some funny questions were 3 steel lids for saucepans that I was taking in the bag. The saucepans and frying pans were in the other unmolested bag.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:26 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I had my TSA approved lock destroyed, I guess as nothing remained, on my SYD-AKL flight. Nothing taken from the bag but someone did go through it.
SYD-AKL???? TSA-approved locks can only be opened by TSA agents in the USA and I believe also the equiv security people in the UK. No other countries have the keys to open TSA-approved locks so the only way a security screener or customs agent in SYD or AKL can open your luggage for inspection is to locate you and request you to open it, or to cut off the lock.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:12 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by NM
SYD-AKL???? TSA-approved locks can only be opened by TSA agents in the USA and I believe also the equiv security people in the UK. No other countries have the keys to open TSA-approved locks so the only way a security screener or customs agent in SYD or AKL can open your luggage for inspection is to locate you and request you to open it, or to cut off the lock.
Must have cut the lock off which I have been told is the favoured TSA method.
Hmmm I now do not see the point in buying these locks if the TSA key is only being used in the US.
Has anyone been requested to open checked in baggage at SYD before?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.