Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AVOD & Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

AVOD & Compensation

I've read & myself experienced some AVOD issues. Not suggesting we start a Sticky, but would be interesting to hear from other FF's how often it's occuring & how the crew "manage" the situation - and if any compensation is provided (with or w/o asking?)

FWIW, my brother flew home to SIN last night; AVOD not working on QF5. Crew tried rebooting 4-5 times; could not get it working. Supervisor offered US$50 duty-free voucher - does not appear same compensation was offered to anyone else that he could see.

My bro' did not get the rego #; but I'm sure QF NB would know.

Cheers, Simon.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:00 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by ghostboy
Supervisor offered US$50 duty-free voucher - does not appear same compensation was offered to anyone else that he could see.
What class of travel?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
What class of travel?
Apologies - should have mentioned that. He was in Y.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:11 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by ghostboy
My bro' did not get the rego #; but I'm sure QF NB would know.

Cheers, Simon.
Hello Simon

QF0005 was ops by VH-OJI last night, IIRC, one of the first 747-400s to have the AVOD system installed. I'm not sure whether it has the latest patch, but by the sounds of it, it doesn't.

Cheers, QF NB
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QF NB
Hello Simon

QF0005 was ops by VH-OJI last night, IIRC, one of the first 747-400s to have the AVOD system installed. I'm not sure whether it has the latest patch, but by the sounds of it, it doesn't.

Cheers, QF NB
Thanks QF NB. One would assume they can install the patch without waiting for maintenance; but possibly not.

Cheers.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:10 am

Programs: QF Gold, Velocity Gold, HHonours Gold and many others
I read somewhere that there is a revert option to the old system with the 2 hour loops, or is this untrue?

Cheers
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Haven't come across that. On QF AVOD equipped flights usually just one or more system reboots.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by pilotdude09
I read somewhere that there is a revert option to the old system with the 2 hour loops, or is this untrue?

Cheers
That is true I have had that happen several times. Infact on all but one of my AVOD flights there has been a reversion to the loop when the system went bang.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:59 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by pilotdude09

Cheers
Does happen regularly... Not much you can do about it... Has happened to heaps of people I know and is equally frustrating for CC and Pax.

Would have been interesting to see, during the earlier parts of the year, whether having an IFE engineer helped solved many of the AVOD reliability problems.

A flick of a few switches and Qantas' unreliable AVOD system reverts back to the reliable looped-based system (Hey, it's gotta beat no IFE at all )
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I was on VH-OJU recently and the AVOD stopped working for about an hour during the flight. Needless to say no compensation was sought as I am all to used to AVOD not working (LX also suffers from similar spates of outages it seems).
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:37 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
...(LX also suffers from similar spates of outages it seems).
At least that is not as bad as the SR problems with IFE.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: QF NB, SPG
We were on QF107 on Oct-9 (VH-OEB), AVOD worked perfectly.

QF12 on Oct-30 (was a -438ER, not sure which one) was a different matter. They rebooted it several times before I just gave up and got some sleep instead (yay for the upgrade to J - first time in a skybed. Row 16 (upstairs exit row) is nice, but not very private).

AVOD seemed to be working fine in the morning, the pilot said they'd been on the phone to rockwell-collins and their techs say it was a hardware failure.

I didn't even think to try and get any compo - I wouldn't have watched much anyway, as the content seemed to be the same as the Oct-9 flight where I watched almost everything I wanted see while in 72A on the way to LAX.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt-R
AVOD seemed to be working fine in the morning, the pilot said they'd been on the phone to rockwell-collins and their techs say it was a hardware failure.
I've got this mental picture of the captain sitting in the cockpit, prior to take-off, on hold waiting for rockwell-collins tech support
Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
as`usual it seems in the qantas forum the word compensation is used at every opportunity - keep it up guys they will soon make it a privalege to use the toilet during the flight. Seems anyone who can afford a seat on qantas will seek every chance they have to get something out of the airline
Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:20 pm

Programs: QF WP, QF LTS, AA Plat
I flew SYD-PVG on 7 Nov in J and the AVOD was very slow. It eventually packed it in. It also seem to reboot itself but a few hours later was still not working. Fortunately I had come prepared and just switched to watching DVD's on my laptop.
After an couple of hours I asked for a reboot.. This worked and the system came back - but still very slow to respond to the control or touch screen.

During the reboot I noticed the cause of the whole AVOD issue.

'Windows CE loader'

And here I was thinking that AVOD was something sofisticated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.