Search

Getting to BNE in AM peak

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Getting to BNE in AM peak

Hi All,

Will soon be spending a weekend in far north NSW. Need to be at BNE to drop off the hire car and catch a 9:00am flight.

Can anyone tell me what the traffic is like up the Pacific Hwy early doors what times does it generally slow in the morning peak - also whether I can expect delays on the airport turnoff (as I've experienced on a Sunday arvo before now)??

Thanks,

BD
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:38 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Your problems will start well before the airport turnoff - the Gateway Arterial goes pear-shaped at the slightest incident. I would suggest you try to get to BNE by 7:30am at the latest - which is a 6:00am departure from FN NSW (eg Cabarita).

Why not get a flight out of OOL?
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by willyroo
Your problems will start well before the airport turnoff - the Gateway Arterial goes pear-shaped at the slightest incident. I would suggest you try to get to BNE by 7:30am at the latest - which is a 6:00am departure from FN NSW (eg Cabarita).
Thanks Willyroo ^

Originally Posted by willyroo
Why not get a flight out of OOL?
Unfortunately the options to NTL are limited (and none existent from OOL).

BD
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:49 pm

Programs: QF Gold MB Gold Elite
I'll back what Willyroo has said.

As someone who, until recently, did the GC to BNE drive for 7 years, the road can be a shocker sometimes.

Someone sneases and the trip time goes up by an 1 hour.

I would actually plan on getting to BNE by 7:00am as that means you have missed the peak hour on the GC and will only get the early part of BNE peak hour.

If everything goes to plan, it will be plain sailing and you will have 2 hours to kill in the QP ^ .
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:27 am

If it's this weekend, then you shouldn't have massive dramas due to Mon being a public holiday.

Otherwise, heed the advice given here.

There are three busy spots. Gold Coast, Highway and Gateway.

Leave as early as possible. The highway goes from not busy to quite busy suddenly in the morning.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 4:28 am
kev

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTG, SPG Titanium
Ditto to all of the above.

I drive to the City (Brisbane) from Ballina on a Monday morning once or twice a month. I ensure that I leave at 5am (6am daylight saving) and most of the time get to work by 7am.

But heed the warning as if theree's an accident on the Pacific Highway north of Beenleigh or on the Gateway it can turn into a carpark very quickly...

Good luck!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the feedback. Sounds pretty much like the Eastern Fwy going into Melbourne - can be OK as long as you get on before 6:30am, any later than that (or some sort of accident) and you're a gonner.

Not this weekend - I'll be driving up on the 26th.

Will heed all advise, leave Stokers at 5:30ish and (hopefully) avail m'self of the QP facilities for a short while - anyone around for brekkie that morning?

BD
Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:32 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
For a bit of a guide, you might want to keep an eye on the Bridge Cam a few days before your trip to see just what the Gateway Bridge Tolls can be like.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All!!

Just a quick note of thanks for everyone's feedback.

Left Stokers Siding at 5:30am and managed to arrive at BNE at 7:40am. The crawl up the Gateway to the tolls was painful.

Thankfully (after all the advise on here) that was the only congestion I hit, leaving so much earlier. (Apart from the QP itself - but that's another story!!)

BD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.