Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Why is Qantas Business class 50% more expensive than the same itinerary on United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Qantas Business class 50% more expensive than the same itinerary on United?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2006, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA

I'm currently looking at a business class flight from NY to Sydney. I'm quoted $12,450 USD on Qantas and $8,005 USD on United. Why such a disparity?
Old May 29, 2006, 8:36 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Probably the lie-flatbed. I don't think UA has those yet?
Old May 29, 2006, 8:40 pm

If you are going to buy that check with some travel agents there are some great deals out right now. 5-10 percent off. Not like it's alot but hey it's something.
Old May 29, 2006, 9:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF does have some lower fares, for example the Circle Pacific fare would be less than that, as would any of the RTW fares. AA also codeshares on LAX-SYD, which might reduce the fare if you have a corporate discount with AA.

As to why QF costs 50% more than UA, the answer is supply and demand; lots more people are willing to buy the QF ticket instead of the UA ticket. Whether it is worth it, or good value, is a different question. Personally I've chosen to fly QF 99% of the time on this route, instead of UA.
Old May 29, 2006, 9:40 pm

Is it just me that thinks the reasons are obvious?!

you need to compare apples with apples or maybe German cars?? vis a vis a nearly new BMW (QF) with a banged-up rusty 30 year old VW bug/beetle that desperately needs some money invested in it (UA). Plus, in that particular market segment, QF can get away with charging so much more of course.
Old May 29, 2006, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I just hope when/if DJ start flying that route they go for a VA style service...Upper class, PE and regular WHY

Edit: I did of course mean VS. Although I'm sure Volare Airlines was good while it was around

Last edited by bensyd; May 30, 2006 at 12:04 am
Old May 29, 2006, 11:56 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
I have heard it said, apparently seriously, that Qantas make no attempt to compete on price on this route for fear that, if they do, it would drive UA out completely and increase pressure on the government to allow other carriers (notably SQ of course) to operate Australia-US.
Old May 30, 2006, 12:56 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
About 9 months ago, we had a corporate edict to fly United across the pond - apparently a "great deal with United has been negotiated". I replied to management warning them that this wouldn't work. "Friends don't let their friends fly United".

It didn't - a senior team flew to the US on UA and complained bitterly about how poor the seats were, how bad the service was, and that they wanted to spend 14 hours on a plane with part of that asleep, not in a seat that isn't really designed for sleeping.

We now pay QF's extortionate rates to the US - and we get what we pay for.

And the cheap price you get on UA - you get what you pay for.

If you want a cheap airfare across the pond, consider earlier advice about a DCIR22, or look at going on FJ via NAN - I was pretty impressed with FJ on a recent flight.
Old May 30, 2006, 1:10 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
$8K J fare from SFO-SYD

Originally Posted by whughes3
I have heard it said, apparently seriously, that Qantas make no attempt to compete on price on this route for fear that, if they do, it would drive UA out completely and increase pressure on the government to allow other carriers (notably SQ of course) to operate Australia-US.
Rather interestingly QF is selling an under USD 8000 J fare from SFO (a UA hub). I suppose they justify it as a new route, but interesting to have QF giving discounts so selectively.
Old May 30, 2006, 7:54 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
The QF J Aussie Airpass starts from around $7199 too. I know I have mentioned it in several threads (and I'm not affiliated with QF!) but it might be an option worth considering if you are willing to shell out that kind of money.

http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...ls/webDeals218
Old May 30, 2006, 9:18 am

Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ollieinmelbourne
you need to compare apples with apples or maybe German cars?? vis a vis a nearly new BMW (QF) with a banged-up rusty 30 year old VW bug/beetle that desperately needs some money invested in it (UA).
Complete rubbish,

Here's some of UA's fleet age taken from this years report.

Fleet:

744 in fleet - 30 w/avg age of 10 years
763 in fleet - 35 w/avg age of 11 years
772 in fleet - 52 w/avg age of 7 years
Old May 30, 2006, 10:16 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by sxc
Probably the lie-flatbed. I don't think UA has those yet?
neither does QF - they are sloped not flat
Old May 30, 2006, 10:34 am

Programs: Oneworld
Qantas Business Class vs. United

The Qantas service and their facility is better but not worth 50% more.
Old May 30, 2006, 12:25 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Originally Posted by rosesplus
Complete rubbish,

Here's some of UA's fleet age taken from this years report.

Fleet:

744 in fleet - 30 w/avg age of 10 years
763 in fleet - 35 w/avg age of 11 years
772 in fleet - 52 w/avg age of 7 years
Yeah it wasn't an accurate analogy. It would be better to say that QF have invested in passenger amenity far more than UA. I don't think we need to tally them. I couldn't care less what the plane looks like on the outside - when do you see it?

I'm still puzzled over UA's decission to re-paint their aircraft rather than use the same money to improving cabin amenities. Maybe it has to do with maintenance, I know they need re-painting every so often but it must have cost a lot of money that UA didn't have to come up with a new scheme.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.