Wiki Posts
Search

SYD to LHR

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2006, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Meh
SYD to LHR

I am BA gold and have decided to fly QF j-class on the above route for a change. What are my chances of snagging an upper deck seat at check-in? How does QF business class stack up to BA? What leg is best to sleep? How is the entertainment system?

Thanks
Old May 29, 2006, 7:07 pm

Why dont you just book the upper deck now?
you can call qantas and if the seat is available then just book it. you can check your seating at www.checkmytrip.com just have the booking ref and name and click on the little yellow plus and it will show you all taken and avail seats
Old May 29, 2006, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by stevie
I am BA gold and have decided to fly QF j-class on the above route for a change.
Good on you, enjoy... all the below assumes you have a paid business class fare already booked.
What are my chances of snagging an upper deck seat at check-in?
As a oneWORLD Emerald with your BA Gold, you should be able to call Qantas and request an upper seat if one is available.
How does QF business class stack up to BA?
There's plenty of advice/opionion in several threads here. Some have distinct leanings/preferences. YMMV
What leg is best to sleep?
Both, but if forced to choose one, take the Asia-LHR leg.
How is the entertainment system?
Quite good, depending upon when you travel you may have a chance of getting Qantas' newer AVOD IFE system, which hopefully has had the kinks ironed out. If not the IFE is similar to BA's system.
Old May 29, 2006, 7:16 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
If you call up you should be able to request upper deck! I think upper deck is the way to go

As for a comparison, I prefer the sky bed I find it more comfortable when sitting upright and find it has more room although it’s not completely flat like BA's. I prefer the food on QF and the wine but they are both pretty similar. I have flown to LHR with QF had had the worst movies ever but other times great entertainment so I guess it depends what Hollywood is producing at the time you fly.
As for sleep try and get a little shut eye going to Asia but I would save it for the long leg to LHR.

Enjoy your flight
Old May 30, 2006, 4:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Personally I would avoid the upper deck and go for a nice lower deck aisle seat in the centre block. Decent overhead lockers and good chance of an empty seat adjacent

Dave
Old May 30, 2006, 10:54 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Personally I would avoid the upper deck and go for a nice lower deck aisle seat in the centre block. Decent overhead lockers and good chance of an empty seat adjacent

Dave
Dave, have you been reading my other posts on this matter . But you forgot to mention the advantages of getting off the plane earlier than those stuck in the confined space of the upper deck, and making it to the lounge or the immigration queue first .
Old May 31, 2006, 11:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
I don't know if Dave has been reading your posts, but I have always subscribed to the same theory as you, NM - give me a lower deck J seat anyday!

Dave

(Who approached this thread thinking it might be another "trip report"! )
Old May 31, 2006, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NM
Dave, have you been reading my other posts on this matter . But you forgot to mention the advantages of getting off the plane earlier than those stuck in the confined space of the upper deck, and making it to the lounge or the immigration queue first .
hehe... mebe, mebe not ... perhaps I just see no fascination with the upper deck. Personally I was quite happy with my lower deck 1A seats on LHR-HKG (BA) HKG-MEL (QF) this week; much rather be there than upstairs

Dave
Old May 31, 2006, 3:48 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
OK, I'll stick my neck out for the UD. If the window is the preferred seat, and IF the curvature of the cabin window is not an issue (which it can be for good ground viewing), the upper deck is better than lower deck. Simple reason being the ledge (with storage bin) between the seat and the window. It simply allows more space. You just don't get that extra space on the lower deck. Even better when travelling solo (and a stranger next to you).

Now, in almost every other regard the lower deck can be better - especially for stowing all that carry on junk that we are (not now) allowed to bring on).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.