Wiki Posts
Search

Any advice for QFF flying Emirates

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2006, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Location: Boston, MA, USA (somtimes London, UK|Mazamet, FR|Brisbane, AU
Any advice for QFF flying Emirates

I know I am probably out of luck here. However, flying 2 people UKto AU for GBP2500 in mixed Y/J seemed worth a try. If there is some way to get the points back into QFF, it might be worth a try. However, if not, what program do others that mainly fly Qantas used on Emirates?
Old May 22, 2006, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
British Airways recently stopped their partnership with Emirates, and that seemed to be the only one world link to Skywards. I think a partnership between the 2 airlines is unlikely because of their conflicts with regards to trans tasman and austrailian flights.

Cheers
Old May 22, 2006, 10:59 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You do know that EK is higher density in Y than most other airlines? It is 1 more seat across per row compared to QF/BA/CX etc. Also EK J is not as good as most J on half their planes (which you get depends on your routing). So you have to view the product that you are buying as a J-/Y- making the pricing reasonable but not a bargain. It is only EK F that has the lavish service that EK is famous for. I've only flown EK a few times, and was disappointed, the only redeeming feature was their harem of the most beautiful women for FAs (quite clear what their hiring criteria is).

There will never be FF linkups to any other SE Asian/Australian airline in the future. EK is basing its growth on destroying those airlines (and destroying the existing hubs at SIN, BKK and HKG -- replaced by DXB for traffic to Europe). Making it a very serious competitor. The only full link to EK is by Sri Lankan (not the most useful of alliances), and partial link to CO, DL, JL, KE, SA, UA. I don't know if the JL link will disappear when the current contract expires (and JL joins Oneworld). I suppose you could credit the EK flight to JL and see what happens.
Old May 22, 2006, 1:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If you're based in Australia you could credit to DJ Velocity program. Although, if you booked this online with EK, I'd be tempted to credit to EK Skywards for the generous online booking bonus and first flight bonus.
Old May 22, 2006, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA ffp

Emirates flights can also be credited to the UA ffp
Old May 23, 2006, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Location: Boston, MA, USA (somtimes London, UK|Mazamet, FR|Brisbane, AU
I think I over researched it

Originally Posted by number_6
You do know that EK is higher density in Y than most other airlines? It is 1 more seat across per row compared to QF/BA/CX etc. Also EK J is not as good as most J on half their planes (which you get depends on your routing). So you have to view the product that you are buying as a J-/Y-
I made sure it was the new configuration 340-500 so I get the 60" pitch on J. I don't mind the Y flight from London to Dubia as I have trouble sleeping the first leg anyway and will really need it on the long flight from Dubia to Sydney.
I also confirmed the return was fully flexible directly with Emirates before booking and with the agent (flynow.com). I also used seat guru when picking the seats so fingers crossed it all works out.

Thanks for the advice on JL - I have a number with them. However, if EK works out, it might be hard to go back given their prices and "apparent" service but the proof for the service is with trying it. Their service to the USA is not really good so for flights there, I will probably always be QFF.
Old May 23, 2006, 1:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ianmc
I made sure it was the new configuration 340-500 so I get the 60" pitch on J. I don't mind the Y flight from London to Dubia as I have trouble sleeping the first leg anyway and will really need it on the long flight from Dubia to Sydney.
Also, remember that Dubia is that nutter you call Pres, whereas Dubai is the home hub for Emirates
Old May 23, 2006, 8:56 am
Original Member

The EK A345 config is very nice, you are lucky to be flying on a route served by that plane. Well worth going out of the way for, compared to their other planes. Unfortunately they only have a handful of these planes.
Old May 23, 2006, 9:02 am

The EK A345 config is very nice, you are lucky to be flying on a route served by that plane. Well worth going out of the way for, compared to their other planes. Unfortunately they only have a handful of these planes.
but thankfully more and more planes are becoming more like the A340-500s and less like the A330-200s ^

Cheers
Old May 23, 2006, 9:25 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Emirates flights can also be credited to the UA ffp
But does not earn status credits on UA (which is why I called it a partial link). You have to use EK's plan for status.
Old May 28, 2006, 7:43 am

Programs: QF WP+Partner Gold, Skywards Gold, AA, NWA
I reckon EK's J class seats on the A345 are terrible. The look good but are really quite uncomfortable, and the controls are #$&! All staff in our company refuse to fly Emirates now, because of the seats. QF/BA/CX/SQ are all much better.

Having said that their service is great, and F is a dream.
Old May 28, 2006, 8:03 am

But does not earn status credits on UA (which is why I called it a partial link). You have to use EK's plan for status.
Actually, in limited circumstances you can earn EQM and elite bonuses if you credit to CO also. http://www.continental.com/onepass/e...e/emirates.asp (This is partial too: you only earn the EQM and elite bonus miles if CO codeshare on the flight, which means the LGW-DXB flight only). That might be useful if you already have a CO account.
Old May 28, 2006, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by yellow77
Actually, you earn EQM and elite bonuses if you credit to CO also. http://www.continental.com/onepass/e...e/emirates.asp
actually... that only applies to LGW-DXB-LGW EK flights when flying them with a CO flight number. All other flights earn non status miles only.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.