Wiki Posts
Search

Am I mad?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2006, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold; BA Silver; GF Silver; HH Diamond, SPG Plat; IHG Plat
Am I mad?

I would appreciate any help you can give to answer the above question.

I will be flying LHR-TSV in May. Currently, I have the choice of LHR-SIN-SYD in J with BA/QF and then SYD-BNE-TSV in Y with QF. Total travelling time - about 30 hours with 3 changes of plane. 128k QF FF points.

Alternatively I can fly LHR-HKG in J with BA and then HKG-CNS-TSV with AO/QF in Y. Total travelling time - 24 hours with 2 changes of plane. No backtracking. 112k QF FF points.

I am seriously considering the second option, even though at the back of my brain someone in screaming at me not to be mad. I travel internationally quite a lot in J and F and I have now reached the stage where less time in the air and less changes are becoming appealing. I also hate flying hours past North Queensland on my way to SYD or MEL knowing that I've got to backtrack.

HKG-CNS is only about 7 hours and I've never flown Australian before (and by the sounds of it will have limited chance to do so quite soon).

So the key question is: Am I made for favouring the half Y option?

PS - Any experiences of flying with AO appreciated. Did a search on this and the Trip reports section and can't find anything.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No, you are not mad.

Alternatively , could you fly LHR-SIN-BNE-TSV

22hrs 40 for LHR-BNE , 2 hrs in BNE and then 2hrs to TSV, total time 26hrs 40

Nicely midway placed travel time and might be a nicer choice than several hours in economy and still only 2 changes

Dave
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:04 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
LHR-HKG-CNS. You're then a 3-4 hour drive to TSV, or a fabulous scenic short hop on a Crash-8.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 8:05 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Beware that the AO HKG-CNS is only 2x weekly and isn't doing too well so might be plenty of space.

Generally though AO economy is pretty good as far a Y goes though no PTV is the only big negative.

Personally I would go LHR-SIN-BNE-TSV.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys. Should have made it clear that the two routes are my only options available using QF points.

I think I will go via HKG and into CNS with AO - anyone else any experiences with AO?
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:53 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by Caledonian
Thanks guys. Should have made it clear that the two routes are my only options available using QF points.
err not quite...
What about CX?
LHR-HKG-CNS
A few more points as it's a Oneworld award not a QF/BA/AA, but still worthwhile nonetheless.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 5:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Caledonian
I interpret this to mean those are the only flights with award availability on the dates you want ... obviously there are at least a dozen different routings possible on CX/BA/QF (and even AY) for award redemption. I would concur that flying into CNS makes the most sense, despite AO. You can get a better meal at the lounge in HKG than you would get on the plane, in any event, plus HKG duty free prices are a bit better than in Australia.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:23 pm

[QUOTE=Caledonian]I will be flying LHR-TSV in May. Currently, I have the choice of LHR-SIN-SYD in J with BA/QF and then SYD-BNE-TSV in Y with QF. Total travelling time - about 30 hours with 3 changes of plane. 128k QF FF points.
Alternatively I can fly LHR-HKG in J with BA and then HKG-CNS-TSV with AO/QF in Y. Total travelling time - 24 hours with 2 changes of plane. No backtracking. 112k QF FF points.

Have you ever flown this far before?
It's a very long process. Not just the flights but commuting, waiting, transiting etc. (LHR insists pax arrive at least three hours before flying now & that's only one example)
If you don't live near a major airport or if your final destination isn't near one your journey could be as long as 48 hours.
Are you travelling J or U? Is it easy to change your itinerary?
If so take a break in Singapore or Hong Kong. They have some great hotels for some R&R to prepare you for the next leg of your long journey.
It'll give you the energy you need to enjoy your time in Aus & you wont be wandering around zombie like with jet lag wasting valuable holiday time.
PS I'd also look at LHR-NRT-CNS-TSV & spend some time in Japan. A truly fascinating place.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:13 pm

Programs: QF, NZ, DJ
Watch your trip with AO. they have just announced that they are winding up. it might be worth finding out the particulars of the story.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:50 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by bigjobs
Watch your trip with AO. they have just announced that they are winding up. it might be worth finding out the particulars of the story.
By the wording of the OP's questions I think he is probably aware that AO will still be flying in May and "ceases to operate" in July.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Guys

Thanks for all your responses.

Number 6 interprets my choice correctly. Could take lots of different carriers via different ports, but these are the only two options available to me using points on the day I want. If given a free hand my preferences for getting home are usually either SQ to BNE, or BA/QF to CNS via NRT.

I have unfortunately flown this far and more a number of times now. About 700k miles worth with Star, and 250k miles with oneworld, with a few trips on Emirates to boot. This is the reason really that I've now come to value time so highly - I don't care what anyone says, J or F "bed" products still don't rival the flat bed I have at home!

Really keen to find out experiences people have of Australian? By the lack of anything on search it sounds like I might have more room in thier Y than in QF J And with them ceasing ops a few months after I would fly with them, it's going to be a bit like the clamour to fly on Concorde before she retired I guess

Caledonian

Last edited by Caledonian; Apr 15, 2006 at 2:49 am Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 15, 2006, 4:52 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
I have flown Australian Airlines about 2 years ago, it was only on a 1hour flight.

Service is just regular economy, but its regular international economy.
Free headsets, no PTVs, 767s are probably not too bad, I would probably guess the flights probably don't be that full.
I am pretty sure the first meal(dinner) out of HKG will be warm and there will be a small snack before landing in Cairns.

I would take the via HKG route.

Heres a trip report I dug up. Not mine, http://www.airliners.net/discussions...ead.main/32773
Old Apr 15, 2006, 7:15 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Hello Caledonian et al, EL AL, et al, EL AL [Don't get me started]

This thread may be of interest to you. It's about AO service... I've posted a reply regarding my AO experience - though admittedly it was only a SYD-CNS flight in JAN 2006..

A good website to look at is Skytrax. You can find the Australian Airlines forum here. As you can see, alot of positive feedback on the airline.

AO staff are by far the most professional/caring/friendly in the QF Group.

Take the chance to fly Australian before the brand disappears Make sure you pic up some of their merchandise onboard... The AO plastic 763 is a nice little momento..

Regards
Old Apr 17, 2006, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks Bundy Bear and QF NB, that really helps, and my mind is made up for Australian.

I can access the QP in HKG by the looks of it (I don't have OneWorld status any more, but do have QP membership)?

Caledonian
Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:05 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I'll add my voice to support flying on AO as well. I just had the one flight on them from SYD-DPS, but as stated by the others, the service was very friendly. Comfort wise, it's basically identical to being on a QF 767, seats are the same. Meal wise there seemed to be a little less than on QF, but still enough to tide my appetite over. If you can get yourself some seats down the back to catch some zzz's on then it's definitely going to be a nice option for you (and yep, you'll get QP access in HKG too fortunately).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.