Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Where has all the Vegemite gone?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
OT: Where has all the Vegemite gone?

There are certain things that I associate with Australia and my QF plods around the world. I am sitting here in the capital of Australia, the well known site of great cultural heritage and history. The QF lounge in the "international" airport (you can fly to both NSW and Victoria several times a day) appears to have lost the plot.

Where is the Vegemite these days? They serve it on the aircraft from London to HK and HK to SYD. It was in the QF lounges in NZ. Where is it in Australia? Is it a great Australian cultural export, of such high demand it is never seen in its home country, like L, Kylie and Ms Kidman? The SYD domestic lounge: No, the Canberra lounge: no. How the hell am I meant to know that I am in Australia and not some other island floating around in an ocean? Where has all the raisin bread gone? My jet-lag alignment breakfast of raisin bread and vegemite is not to be seen!

Perhaps they are waiting for supplies of Marmite to come in under the BA JSA rules?

Why do I have the feeling that I have just been "enhanced" again. Sorry if this is way overdue, but I have been stuck on the international network for so long, I have not been to a domestic lounge in ages. Is it really a secret government plot because H5N1 bird flu is rampant throughout raisin bread and if it is withdrawn slowly, the public will not notice?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There was Vegemite in the QF international lounge I visited the other day.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:33 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Vegemite and rasin toast? I can understand vegemite under perfect scrambled eggs with crispy bacon, but the idea of rasin toast (which is made for strawberry jam) doesn't mesh with vegemite.....
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I had some vegemite in the MEL lounge on Mar 25th.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
No, no. Spottie's right. Vegemite is made for raisin toast, hot cross buns etc. I think it's a law, or something...
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
I will hunt out the vegemite in MEL

MEL QP beware! The vegemite hunter is on his way in 6 hours.....
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by og
Vegemite and rasin toast? I can understand vegemite under perfect scrambled eggs with crispy bacon, but the idea of rasin toast (which is made for strawberry jam) doesn't mesh with vegemite.....
One of lifes great mysteries is why all things taste better with Vegemite. Have always loved the combo of vegemite and raisin toast, and as a kid growing up in Adelaide loved Vegemite on the fritz and sauce sandwiches that I ate at school for 8 straight years, day in day out.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by spotwelder
MEL QP beware! The vegemite hunter is on his way in 6 hours.....
Given that it will be after 7pm, the breakfast set up may have been put away by then... (Then again, they may start setting up for Wednesday morning)

You may need to ask for some at that hour...

Originally Posted by deeruck
No, no. Spottie's right. Vegemite is made for raisin toast, hot cross buns etc. I think it's a law, or something...
Speaking of "Hot Cross Buns", they had "Cold Cross Buns" in the AKL F lounge on Saturday afternoon.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:15 pm

Vegemite = oil spill in a bottle.

Yes I am American...
Yes I have tried it....
(edited - for bad taste - pun intended)

Last edited by willyroo; Apr 12, 2006 at 2:32 am
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by CLELOSER
Yes I am American...
Yes I have tried it....
Did you really just say that?

Last edited by willyroo; Apr 12, 2006 at 2:32 am
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: QF Gold MB Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CLELOSER
Yes I am American...
Yes I have tried it....
Wow!!!

That's a different way of putting it!

When we lived in Tucson, Arizona many years ago we brought across a container load of the stuff and I would say the conversion percentage would have been about 25% at the beginning however 5 years later it was up to about 65%.

Last edited by willyroo; Apr 12, 2006 at 2:33 am
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spotwelder
There are certain things that I associate with Australia and my QF plods around the world. I am sitting here in the capital of Australia, the well known site of great cultural heritage and history. The QF lounge in the "international" airport (you can fly to both NSW and Victoria several times a day) appears to have lost the plot.

Where is the Vegemite these days?
CBR does have international flights, just not QF ones

Given it being 11:30ish when you posted, I would suggest that the lack of vegemite (urgh) would be due to breakfast being over

Dave
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
CBR does have international flights, just not QF ones
I didnt realise this, you mean scheduled ones? What flights?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by simong
I didnt realise this, you mean scheduled ones? What flights?
A number of international flights operate out of Canberra via RAAF Fairbairn.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:12 pm

Air Pacific flew twice a week CBR-NAN vv in the winter of 2004, iirc. It was codeshared with QF. No longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.