Programs: DJ Velocity, Skywards
Can i check in at MEL for this itin?

Hi there

MEL-SYD QF
SYD-CNS QF
CNS-SIN AO
SIN-HEL AY
HEL-LHR AY

All connections but with 2 tix MEL-(SYD)-(CNS)-SIN is QFF award flights & SIN-(HEL)-LHR is paid AY flights.

Many Thanks
vflyer
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:50 am

I will guess that you will run into problems getting your luggage transferred from AO to AY.

Not because of the 2 tickets situation, but whether the luggage will be transferred by the ground crew at SIN. Does AO interline with OneWorld airlines bar Qantas in Australia?

If they are all tight connections as well, there is a good chance your luggage could go missing in such a complicated routing.

SIN airport is a quick and efficient airport, depending on how much time you have you should be able to go through immigration, collect bags and check back in within 20 mins or so.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Hi there

Probably not a good itin, but it is the cheapest option, just trying to maximise my time in a lounge in SIN prior to the Helsinki flight have 2h55 connex in SIN 1855-2150.

Thanks vflyer
Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vflyer
Hi there

Probably not a good itin, but it is the cheapest option, just trying to maximise my time in a lounge in SIN prior to the Helsinki flight have 2h55 connex in SIN 1855-2150.

Thanks vflyer
I would stick to QF and not take AO. Remember AO earns nothing on either the AA or QF programmes.

You can always take a BKK flight and pick the AY flight from there. I think the May 25th changes from last year made the difference between catching the flight AY in BKK or SIN onto HEL the same in terms of status. Although seeing your in the AA programme, remember it is actual miles which count which probably means it is even more important for you to avoid AO and stick to QF otherwise you could be in for a rude surprise as the little difference between the SIN-HEL and BKK-HEL flights will more than counteract the savings made by picking AO over QF to get to SIN.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:58 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I would stick to QF and not take AO. Remember AO earns nothing on either the AA or QF programmes.
Did you read the OP? He has (ie already in hand) a QF award ticket and a paid AY ticket for his itinerary. I can't see the point in suggesting alternate routings.

AO has interlining agreement in place with AY, BA, CX, EI and QF. I assume that an E-Ticket interlining agreement includes the ability to interline baggage between these airlines.

Note that AO is a full-service single-class carrier. They do not follow the same LCC model as JQ.

Here is a table of IATA airlines that have interlining agreements in place. You will note from this table that AO has e-ticket interlining with AY and QF.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
But the AO flights are on an award booking, so no probs there. It's just a question of whether AO interlines with AY which it should.

Edited to add: Damn, NM got in just before me
Old Apr 10, 2006, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NM
Did you read the OP? He has (ie already in hand) a QF award ticket and a paid AY ticket for his itinerary. I can't see the point in suggesting alternate routings.
Apologies... Somehow managed to skip the award bit.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:37 am

If the itn. is all issued on one ticket you are always able to check luggage through, right?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by B-HQC
If the itn. is all issued on one ticket you are always able to check luggage through, right?
Only if the relevant airlines are parties to baggage interline agreements for each of the transfers that are being made.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Hi there

Thanks for the info, It's good that AO & AY interline.
Will the AY flight be open for check-in in MEL at 0600?

Cheers
vflyer
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:06 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by vflyer
Hi there

Thanks for the info, It's good that AO & AY interline.
Will the AY flight be open for check-in in MEL at 0600?

Cheers
vflyer
That really does not matter. You bags can be tagged through even if your boarding pass cannot be issued. You may have to visit the transfer desk at SIN to collect the AY boarding pass, but that won't be a major problem. I do this regularly with connections between QF and MH, where both with happily tag the tags to the final destination, but neither can issue the boarding pass for the other's servie.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by B-HQC
i always wondered is there a maximum time, between two flights that you can check your bags through for?
Old Apr 16, 2006, 5:12 am

My experience (Dec 03) was QF/BA/AY (ADL-SYD-BKK-HEL-FRA), so slightly different, but if it helps my bags were checked right through to Frankfurt but I needed to get boarding passes for the Finnair legs at the transfer desk in Bangkok.
Interestingly enough, the return flight was AY/CX (HEL-BKK-HKG-ADL) and my bags were checked right through plus I got boarding passes for both Finnair and Cathay Pacific in Helsinki.
I thought the agreements for both baggage and boarding passes would be the same across all oneworld alliance members?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.