Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF25 / 15 Mar / SYDMEL sector / Skybed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, QF Club Lifetime, Air NZ, Marriott, Starwood, IHG

Hi there,

I am taking my brother to Melbourne next week. Given that he has never travelled internationally, nor has he seen business class, I am tempted to upgrade the SYDMEL QF 25 sector to business class.

QF25 turns in to the MEL/AKL/LAX service upon arrival into Melbourne.

I checked the skybed rollout schedule, and it indicated that skybed rollout on QF25 is 100% complete. I guess I am just worried that for some reason (as this flight doesn't always commence in Sydney), that it won't be the skybed flight....

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks in advance....
Old Mar 9, 2006, 4:48 am

Your plane looks to be the 56 Business; 356 Economy 747-438 Longreach.

The seat map implies Skybeds.

Of course this could change at the last minute due to operational requirements.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:32 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
As you've noticed the Skybed upgrade process for that route is complete. All 747-400s now feature Skybed. I believe your 744 operates FRA-SIN-SYD then SYD-MEL-AKL-LAX on the day.

I can almost guarantee that your flight will be operated by the 2-Class 744 however as Aus_mal has pointed out this can change due to operational issues, scheduled aircaft going u/s etc. IMO [at the worst] you'd find that the 744 would be replaced with a 743 which features Dreamtime [cradle, non-flat] seats in Business.

Anyway, no need to worry about it ^

If you want, I can check the load in the J cabin, then you can decide whether to upgrade or not. Just fire me an email/PM with the flight details and I'd be more than happy to help you out.

*EDIT* - I was so blind as to not notice you've included the intended date of travel in the title. I'll send you a PM with flight load details ASAP.

Hope that helps

Last edited by QF NB; Mar 9, 2006 at 7:28 am Reason: Silly QF NB..
Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:06 am
Suspended

Hi There,

I have a related question on QF25,

As I have a SYD-AKL sector on my DONE4 and I would like to be on the 744 to get there (don't mind the additional time) I wanted to take QF25.

It used to go via BNE and not via MEL. No big deal
However i noticed that it is only once a week they do this. Also it seems they are ending it this month?

Can someone confirm whether QF25 will be discontinued ex SYD (instead it starts in MEL?)
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh
Hi There,

I have a related question on QF25,

As I have a SYD-AKL sector on my DONE4 and I would like to be on the 744 to get there (don't mind the additional time) I wanted to take QF25.

It used to go via BNE and not via MEL. No big deal
However i noticed that it is only once a week they do this. Also it seems they are ending it this month?

Can someone confirm whether QF25 will be discontinued ex SYD (instead it starts in MEL?)
Hello Dave,

Correct, it will be discontinued ex-SYD.

Remember also the AUS [Winter] schedule begins and there is a number of changes.

It appears that the aircraft for QF 26/25 will only do LAX-AKL-MEL-AKL-LAX [APR onwards]. Don't quote me on this, but I believe [currently] the aircraft scheduled to operate QF 25 [SYD-MEL-AKL-LAX] flies as such: FRA-SIN-SYD-MEL-AKL-LAX.

You'll notice that a number of 744 flights to/from MEL/BNE then fly onto/fly from SYD [on certain days], say for example QF 175 SYD-*BNE-LAX & QF 176 LAX-BNE*-SYD. The only real reason to start/end the flight in SYD is for 744 maintenance. But this has changed as there is no longer a need to rotate certain 744s through SYD, as the aircraft can be rotated through outstations [for checkups]. That's why these domestic 744 flights are ceasing/being reduced.

Sometimes there is the odd occasion where an aircraft [for example] that just operated a flight into BNE, may need to travel to SYD to then operate SIN/FRA [i.e. repositioning flight].

Hope that clears things up. I hope what I just said makes sense

Regards
Old Mar 9, 2006, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, QF Club Lifetime, Air NZ, Marriott, Starwood, IHG
thanks heaps Aus_Mal and QFNB....on that basis, I am gonna take a chance and go for it!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:17 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Note that between 26th April and 7th June, some QF25/26 services will be operated by 747-338 aircraft, and hence will have Dreamtime seats in business class and not Skybeds.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:00 pm

No worries Creeno

BTW I've just sent you a PM re: flight load on QF25 SYD-MEL 15 MAR

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.