Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheaper Duty Free SYD or AKL?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Cheaper Duty Free SYD or AKL?

Is it cheaper to buy DF booze at SYD on departure or AKL on arrival? Also is it worth an extra $300 or so to spring for J on an evening SYD-AKL flight?

Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Generally AKL but depends on the specials. Note NZ has a much more generous duty free allowance than Australia.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:39 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
AKL is substantially cheaper. As for the upgrade, it is a short flight and while J is nice it is not the long-haul J service (more like ORD-LAX would be on AA).
Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:13 pm

Agree with NZ being cheaper. More competition I think.

Also you can sometimes get additional discounts in NZ using vouchers given away in those "tourist" type arrival magazines or by pre-ordering online through the duty free shops.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Discounts are not hard to come by.

If flying Air NZ the magazine has discount vouchers in it.
When paying departure tax get discount voucher.

Watch the fine print though - some vouchers allowed for arrivals and some not.

You can also join Regency Club to get additional discount.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Discounts are not hard to come by. ...

You can also join Regency Club to get additional discount.
Also, Join www.dutyfreestores.co.nz "Frequent Buyer's Club" to get a 20% discount on pre-ordered Alchol and Tobacco'.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Thanks. I forgot the name of that one - knew you'd be able to help ^
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Awesome site, I just signed up.. Cant use today, but will use on my way to BKK in a couple weeks 20% off. And my American girl in BKK loves martinis. So I have a feeling there will be some 42 below, grey goose and absolute Happy days!!
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by serfty

Also, Join www.dutyfreestores.co.nz "Frequent Buyer's Club" to get a 20% discount on pre-ordered Alcohol and Tobacco'.
Very useful link. ^

Lynn and I between us used to bring back a few cartons of Marlboro each trip for a relative here, and did it out of habit really. I think I must have 10-12 cartons due to lot of travel late 2005. Belatedly saw the friend a couple weeks ago and he is now smoking Nicorette gum as a few year resolution!

I was tempted to flog them on eBay or via local paper but apparently cigarettes are verboten unless you are licensed, which I guess makes sense.

So moral of the story, Duty Free is not such a good deal if you want to end up with a drawer of Marlboros, and you do not smoke!

Last edited by ozstamps; Feb 9, 2006 at 5:44 pm
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Duty Free is supposed to be for personal use. My way of personal use varies; but the most common is that someone I know will happily collect me from Tullamarine for a carton. Thereby saving me the $90 fare to Patterson Lakes.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:37 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by ozstamps
I was tempted to flog them on eBay or via local paper but apparently cigarettes are verboten unless you are licensed, which I guess makes sense.
I guess someone has already tried selling a small cardboard box on eBay, and then trowing in some free cancer sticks for free?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty

Duty Free is supposed to be for personal use. My way of personal use varies; but the most common is someone I know will happily collect me from Tullamarine for a carton. Thereby saving me the $90 fare to Patterson Lakes.
And you then smoke the carton when you arrive, and puff the smoke over his/her way? Giving them away is still not "personal use" I'd speculate.

Despite 80% of goods bought "Duty Free" being in fact consumed by other than the buyer.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NM

I guess someone has already tried selling a small cardboard box on eBay, and then throwing in some free cancer sticks for free?
I think the usual wording is: "you are bidding on a plain white envelope. The successful bidder shall have included FREE ... "

Dozens of UA upgrade lots on eBay at any time using that pretty transparent scam:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ONE-UNITED-AIRLI...QQcmdZViewItem

I doubt eBay allows booze or ciggies to be sold by anyone, and there's the rub.

Last edited by ozstamps; Feb 9, 2006 at 8:13 pm Reason: Added eBay link
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And yet perfumes of every brand are 100% OK on eBay, which AFAIK also have the same kind of duty on them as booze and smokes. Strange.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps
And yet perfumes of every brand are 100% OK on eBay, which AFAIK also have the same kind of duty on them as booze and smokes. Strange.
My guess is that its the 18+ factor for ciggies/alcohol. Perfume may not be worn by children generally, but there's no laws against them buying it.

eBay and the like have pretty strict rules on 'Adult Items'. eBay USA used to have an 'Adult Material' auction section, but it was removed some time ago.

Drew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.