Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas ups credit charges

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Qantas ups credit charges

A report in The Australian about Qantas holidays upping the credit charge for using credit cards.

THE cost of taking a Qantas break is about to increase as its holiday arm lifts the fee levied on credit card transactions from 1per cent to 1.4per cent.

A spokeswoman confirmed yesterday that the credit card fee charged by Qantas Holidays would increase from February 21 but said it would not apply to air tickets.

She said the new fee was in line with travel industry practice, where some players charged 3per cent.

"Even with the increase, Qantas Holidays still only partially recovers the cost of the credit card merchant fees," she said. "It's just a matter of costs, basically."
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:44 am

Not really worried about this.

Qantas Holidays is basically a Travel Agent. They all seem to tack on CC surcharges.

Now if we were forced to book our trips through them I would be a little worried!

Most/(All?) of the Qantas Holidays specials can be bought through normal TA's...
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:47 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Most/(All?) of the Qantas Holidays specials can be bought through normal TA's...
I've rarely found a price from Qantas Holidays that a few posts here can't help me beat
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:06 pm

Programs: Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Hilton Honours
Nothing more than double dipping

Are these cc charges really all about recovering costs or just another case of double dipping. Amazing how some just accept explanations. Merchant costs existed before "separate" cc surcharges. And given we are encouraged to use the internet to book and not via humans at their call centre how are we expected to pay other than by card- post in a cheque.
At that time one assumes the cost was built into the airfare, like fuel, wages, food allowances , airport fees etc etc. When they introduced this surcharge did the fare go down by a corresponding amount for those that paid cash -unlikely. So if the fare already incorp the charge, then they charge it again it is double dipping.
Bit like you being charged a surcharge by the supermarket for "electricity use" while shopping.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Any merchant on high average ticket prices like Qantas is paying WELL under 1% for their Bankcard/visa/MC transactions - trust me.

This increase is pure profit - nothing less.

My own rate is about 1.5% but anyone with a hardware store - even indies, are on .92% right now including GST.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Any merchant on high average ticket prices like Qantas is paying WELL under 1% for their Bankcard/visa/MC transactions - trust me.

This increase is pure profit - nothing less.

My own rate is about 1.5% but anyone with a hardware store - even indies, are on .92% right now including GST.
Not necessarily as I was posting in another forum about this change.

Many businesses are subject to a 'high risk' assessment from financial institutions. Be in this, and they slug you huge percentage rates. I know small/mid sized businesses paying under 1.0% for around 100-200k turnover a year with average per-swipe cost of around $80. Tell them you're an online shop, and that'll rocket to 8-9% even if you are doing large turnover. Until you can prove to them the risk of fraud or the like is minimal, you'll have to suffer.

Aviation may be a mid-risk industry, due to the fact unscrupulous people could steal CC details, book a flight and be gone before anyone can follow it up, a "flight risk" if you'll pardon the pun

Regardless, I'm sure Qantas are as you say, paying less. Just adding my 2.2c worth.

Drew
Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by drewbles

Aviation may be a mid-risk industry, due to the fact unscrupulous people could steal CC details, book a flight and be gone before anyone can follow it up, a "flight risk" if you'll pardon the pun

Air tickets today would be THE lowest risk business out there basically.

Try stealing a card and getting onto ANY Qantas flight without photo ID that matches the name on the ticket to the person trying to board.

They email itinerary to the passenger and have your contact phone number. And know where you went - and when.

If the whistle blew from the time of booking til time of check-in don't you imagine "John Doe" checking in for a Qantas flight when real card holder and bank knew exactly what flight that was would not have a few nice Feds there with handcuffs to have a word at check-in?

Zero risk basically. And they are paying well under 1% for sure.

FWIW all my busines is on line and my rate is only about 1.5%. I have never heard of anyone in Australia - even a brand new merchant being charged by Visa/MC bankers more than 5%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.