Community
Wiki Posts
Search

first class vs business

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:41 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by Brendan
I noticed that that once it becomes a true acronym ( = people start pronouncing it as a word,) Proper Case is used in Commonwealth countries other than Canada:
Aids, Sars.
However in the USA & Canada, we still write AIDS, SARS.
And if its been around long enough, they stop using Proper Case/a capital first letter at all - e.g. scuba, radar, etc, etc.

Sorry, sorry, back on topic... dangerously in my element here !!!
Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by serfty
Indeed!

Not only that, they did it without any reference to HP's !!
But HPs are never off topic are they, especially in this case where HP is an abbreviation itself

Dave
Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
But HPs are never off topic are they, especially in this case where HP is an abbreviation itself

Dave
Fantastic ! ^ I'm loving this Thread ! More, more, more... no, sorry, BACK ON TOPIC ! (Gotta keep telling myself that !!! )
Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Wink

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
But HPs are never off topic are they, especially in this case where HP is an abbreviation itself ... Dave
Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:03 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
BACK ON TOPIC ! (Gotta keep telling myself that !!! )
[moderator hat]
Guys I think that would be a good idea - the original poster probably has no idea what's going on. Let's allow this one to focus on the question at hand.
[/moderator hat]
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:35 pm

Programs: NW Plat, CO Plat
Originally Posted by kenbarber
on onepas miles to aus and new zealand i would have to use quantas. i can go business class for less miles than first class. i am wondering if first class difference in service, seat size, amentites, etc is worth the extra miles. i have used neither on an international trip. i have enough miles to go ahead and start planing a trip if i go business. i am handicapped and aging however so if the comfort is much better in first than in business, then i'll wait. i know so little about quantas.
If you plan to use CO miles for a QF award to Australia and New Zealand, CO might not allow you to fly first class - because QF does not fly F to NZ anymore and they won't let you combine F and J segments (e.g LAX-SYD in F and SYD-AUK in J).

I am using "might", because this happened to me last month - and I called several times to check with different CO agents- but some other FTer were able to book a mix of F/J segments.

You can search the CO forum (using "qantas") if you want to find more information on how to get an QF F or J award with CO miles.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:58 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by BBT in NY
If you plan to use CO miles for a QF award to Australia and New Zealand, CO might not allow you to fly first class - because QF does not fly F to NZ anymore and they won't let you combine F and J segments (e.g LAX-SYD in F and SYD-AUK in J).
Pedantic mode back on ... To the best of my knowledge, Qantas has never flown to Alakanuk, Alaska (AUK), either with or without a first class cabin.

But Qantas does fly business class to Auckland, Noo Zelland (AKL) from LAX as well as from ADL/BNE/MEL/SYD.

Back on topic ... I still think the OP's decision will be made according to the availability. When is the flight wanted?
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:42 pm

Let's all take the OP to QP for an HP to watch some AFL, ASAP before MOD gets PO'd with us....OK?
Hopefully on the way home in our 4WD, we won't be caught in an RBT for a DUI and then need to get on our 3G phone for CAB.........
After all that excitement I will need an ECG or even some KFC.
CYA
IainF
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:50 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by IainF
Let's all take the OP to QP for an HP to watch some AFL, ASAP before MOD gets PO'd with us....OK?
Hopefully on the way home in our 4WD, we won't be caught in an RBT for a DUI and then need to get on our 3G phone for CAB.........
After all that excitement I will need an ECG or even some KFC.
CYA
IainF
All in an AFD by using a TLA -- OMG .
Old Oct 17, 2005, 4:28 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by IainF
Hopefully on the way home in our 4WD, we won't be caught in an RBT for a DUI
Point of order - in NSW, it would be a "positive BAS" (pronounced baz).

(To the OP [original poster] this thread is indicative of the Australian sense of humour - we can be quite quirky down here. Enjoy the country when you get here, but just don't take offence at times, it will generally be good natured, even for a terrori^H^H^H^H^H^Hourist.)

Dave

Last edited by thadocta; Oct 17, 2005 at 4:34 am Reason: typos
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:18 am

Programs: NW Plat, CO Plat
Originally Posted by NM
Pedantic mode back on ... To the best of my knowledge, Qantas has never flown to Alakanuk, Alaska (AUK), either with or without a first class cabin.

But Qantas does fly business class to Auckland, Noo Zelland (AKL) from LAX as well as from ADL/BNE/MEL/SYD.
To paraphrase French people, knowledge is like jam: the less you have, the more you spread it on your toast...

Anyway - sorry for the the typo. I obviously meant AKL.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
"Anacronym is an acronym or an abbreviation so old or familiar that no one remembers what its letters stand for, such as BASIC or COBOL
Never mind where the **** "anacronym" originated from.

I'm just worried that I am old enough to be able to remember effortlessly what BASIC and COBOL did originally stand for!
Old Oct 17, 2005, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser

I'm just worried that I am old enough to be able to remember effortlessly what BASIC and COBOL did originally stand for!

And I'm not, thank God !
Old Oct 17, 2005, 5:24 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
And my first experience with computer programming was a pocket sized HP25 then using punch cards for FORTRAN - and the amount of paper spat out to show why the program didn't work - .
Old Oct 17, 2005, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hmm... well COBOL, iirc, stands for Collection of Bugs and Obsolete Liabilities

No idea about BASIC; wouldnt touch it, it just seems like it is a language for beginners to play with.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.