Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF Club Membership post Plat/Gold

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2005, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
QF Club Membership post Plat/Gold

Just a quick question... if you are not a QF Club member to start with, but gain complimentary membership by attaining Gold/Plat - what happens when you drop back to silver/bronze? Do you have to pay the joining fee - or is it based on the renewal price?

With thanks in advance

WG
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:09 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
You lose it.

You were never a 'member' of the Qantas Club, merely your Gold/Plat membership gave you certain access rights to the Qantas Club, as it did to other OW lounges.

If you were previously a QP member, your membership is automatically placed on hold while you take advantage of these access rights
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I've often wondered about this myself; I have known no-one in this situation.
Originally Posted by moa999
You lose it. ...
Is this from anecdotal or first hand experience? More importantly as per the OP's question; If you wish to retain QP access do you need to pay a joining fee?

BTW, this is unlikely to be an issue for me as I have had 7 months QP membership suspended since 1996!

Last edited by serfty; Oct 4, 2005 at 6:22 am
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by moa999
You lose it.

You were never a 'member' of the Qantas Club, merely your Gold/Plat membership gave you certain access rights to the Qantas Club, as it did to other OW lounges.

If you were previously a QP member, your membership is automatically placed on hold while you take advantage of these access rights
Umm.. Actually on attaining Gold you are given complimentary membership of the Qantas Club and any paid membership is suspended

I have wondered whether it is possible to pay a renewal membership without paying joining fee since you would already be a member and have assumed that it should be possible

As it says at http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...atusPrivileges , Gold an Platinum members get Complimentary membership

Dave
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I have wondered whether it is possible to pay a renewal membership without paying joining fee since you would already be a member and have assumed that it should be possible
Although I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if the joining fee were waived. I first joined the Club without a joining fee because every year there was an invitation to do so that arrived with my renewed Blue/Silver card (can't remember which colour it was when I did that). One year I actually took up the offer; I'm not sure how much longer it would have taken me to join if I'd had to pay the joining fee.

So a similar courtesy extended to someone who has been Platinum or Gold but has dropped back down to Silver, wouldn't be surprising.

But I've now got 2 or 3 years' worth of paid membership "in the bank", so the issue won't arise for me, either.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:52 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Having decided to defect to the "dark side" via "lack of challenge" I asked a very similar question when my QP membership bill arrived.

If I attain SG at some point in the future and then fail to maintain it, do I need to (re)pay the joining fee in the QP. Verbally - no.

YMMV

WF
Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by serfty
I've often wondered about this myself; I have known no-one in this situation.

Yes - my QF Club membership is currently 'suspended' (whatever that means - or is it just my paid 'fee' is suspended?) - but my partner will be doing a mileage run with me and qualifying for Plat (has zero status now and not a member of the club) - so we were just wondering what happens after.

Guess we will find out in 2008 when they eventually get back to silver.

I'll be sure to bump the thread and keep you posted.

WG
Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:06 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
On a similar topic, what happens with a Partner Gold member when that expires? I assume a drop to Silver status level, but is there an option to purchase a Qantas Club membership as a renewal without the joining fee?

As for me, I have 15 months of a 2-year paid Qantas Club membership "suspended" since 1996, and so long as the complementary membership for Gold status members remains, this will remain on hold for the rest of my life. Does that mean my estate can claim a 15 month refund when my Lifetime Gold status expires?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.