Wiki Posts
Search

Circle Pacific Query

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Circle Pacific Query

I'm in the middle of Circle Pacific trip booked in D. I've just completed LAX-SAN and SAN-LAX. As there is no D available on those legs they were booked in L. I was a touch surprised to see status credits awarded at the discount economy level. On checking that appears to be correct according to the rules of the fare. However, is this a minor (in this case QF) rip-off? Why should a ticket booked and paid for at Business Class level have two leg at discount economy level rather than at full economy level for status credit purposes? If I earn status credits on the Business class legs at full business class level why should I not earn at the full economy level when forced to fly economy? Thanks for any opinions.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The points are completely correct. You travelled on a discount economy booking class (L) and received the points for it. The fact that you could have travelled in D if it is available, a voluntary downgrade to L gives you L accrual rates

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
But why L, why not a class which earns status credits at the full economy level when I have paid at the business class level? Business class does not exist on those routes. I am really questioning the logic and fairness of the Qantas rules.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:30 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Actually, I think you should be entitled to a booking in Y when travelling on AA flights with flight numbers 3000-5999. According to the fare rules for both OneWorld Explorer and Circle Pacific, the booking code for these fares are as follows:
Code:
AA AY BA CX IB QF LA LP EI     A    D    L
AY EI LA LP DOMESTIC           Y    Y    L
AA DOMESTIC FLIGHTS 3000-5999  Y    Y    L

NOTE: When the class of service for this fare is not offered book in the next lowest class
of service using the booking classes above.
AA's LAX-SAN and SAN-LAX flights are in the 3000 range, so the DCIR22 fare should be booked in Y according to that table. Thus accruing full Y SCs and FF points.

So in this case the agent booked you in the wrong class. Probably too late now to do anything about it.

This would be different if the flight actually had a J cabin and there was no D available. Then you take a voluntary downgrade to L class and receive discount economy SCs and FF points.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
But why L, why not a class which earns status credits at the full economy level when I have paid at the business class level? Business class does not exist on those routes. I am really questioning the logic and fairness of the Qantas rules.
Because when you voluntarily downgraded to economy, the booking class, as per the rules of the circle pacific fare, it was booked in is economy class ergo you will accrue miles/points as per the L class booking

If the rules permitted booking in Y , then you would have been booked in Y and accrued as a full Y ticket. According to NM, the route you took can allow booking in Y and if it had been, you would have received full Y credit

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 27, 2005 at 1:00 am
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:00 am
NM

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the rules permitted booking in Y , then you would have been booked in Y and accrued as a full Y ticket. Some fare bases do allow this, the Circle Pacific isn't, however, one of them
By my reading of the rules, for AA flights in the AA3000-AA5999 range, which are the American Eagle single-class flights including the OP's LAX-SAN-LAX segments), a DCIRxx fare or ACIRxx fare should be booked in Y class.

Am I not reading this correctly? Seems the same table is included in OneWorld Explorer and Circle Pacific rules, except *ONE* rules include option for T booking for BA WT+ option.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by NM
By my reading of the rules, for AA flights in the AA3000-AA5999 range, which are the American Eagle single-class flights including the OP's LAX-SAN-LAX segments), a DCIRxx fare or ACIRxx fare should be booked in Y class.

Am I not reading this correctly? Seems the same table is included in OneWorld Explorer and Circle Pacific rules, except *ONE* rules include option for T booking for BA WT+ option.
Please see my amendments, it sounds like it could have been booked in Y

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:12 am
NM

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Please see my amendments, it sounds like it could have been booked in Y

Dave
Having had a few TA's book my DONE4 fares with AA domestic segments in L instead of A, I have had to point them at this table and the follow comments about AA 2-class flights on a few occasions. Never been a problem and they have rebooked in the correct class. In this example I think the booking should have been in Y and was not, but its probably too late now since the L booking is affectively a voluntary downgrade and QF has provided the correct SCs and points for the fare class that the OP was actually book in.

I have not experienced this on the AE domestic segments, but the rules do seem clear and fair to me. It is very nice when the TA makes the opposite mistake and makes a DONE4 booking for an AA segment into A class - especially when it is a CX operated HKG-LAX codeshare .
Old Sep 27, 2005, 2:03 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
On my recent DONE4 on AE BOS-JFK, I was booked into Y (no D on an ER3). When buying the tickets a few months ago through CX BKK, the agent wanted to book into L and I asked her to check the rules as I was sure it should be in Y. Likewise, she was unaware that a 23 hr stop in LHR was a transit rather than a stopover and therefore avoided the hefty LHR taxes. After a 20 minute wait, the nice lady returned and said "I have two pieces of good news for you"...... Yet again, it payed to be aware of the rules, read FT and politely ask the agent to check the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.