Search

Travel Insurance For Award Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NM

My car would do 10,000k in 4 years just to and from the airport
We have those neat taxi cabs in Sydney now.

Never buy a trade-in off me if you want clean oil.

Last car was a Mazda RX7 twin turbo that had done 12,000 K in 4 or 5 years. Never touched than once either. Not water, not oil, not any kind of fluids.

Rolled it backwards down my driveway nearly killing myself. I forgot that no engine on means power brakes do not work. Not smart when you live on the side of a hill. Didn't do the car very much good either. Insurer wrote it off.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:24 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Last car was a Mazda RX7 twin turbo that had done 12,000 K in 4 or 5 years.
Not a very practical car for my tribe! I will have to wait a few more years before I can move into that phase of my mid-life crisis (thinks, hmm, nice red 2-seater ... nahh, Mrs NM would kill me).

I now own two 7-seater family vehicles, plus I still have to get rid of my old car. I have owned that one for almost 18 years (and it was 4 years old when I bought it) and its now got 350,000km on the clock. I wonder how many it would show if that little plastic gear in the odometer had not been broken for about 18 months before I managed to find somewhere to get a new one? That car is loaded with a pile of rubbish to go to the tip, so maybe I can just leave the car there as well .
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Also I have no idea how they work, but if you really had a genuine claim overseas - I really wonder what would legally stop you submitting a claim to 2 companies if you have valid insurance with 2?

You always have an excess, so a $600 claim with $300 excess leaves you $300 out of pocket. If it was covered by both, you'd be line ball. Grey area, but not sure if they even ASK if you have other cover. They did not ask Lynn re the Dingo. Most folks would not have 2. And you are not profiting by this, just breaking even.
Most insurance has clause disallowing this, and insurers can and do exchange information to detect "double-dipping". If caught can void your cover and make it hard to get insurance cover again (at least with a major insurer).
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:05 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Originally Posted by og
One thing would be a company that asks for receipts before making payment and then either stamping them or keeping them. Another would be a declaration that another company has not covered the claim (or something like that) - seen in fine print.
I'm in the habit of reading the fine print - I usually spot a clause that says that they won't cover anything that is covered by another insurance company. If you have 2 insurance policies for the same thing you could possibly end up in limbo while the 2 companies argue that they won't cover you because the other one will.

I avoid having multiple insurance policies, Just In Case.

Audrey
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:01 pm

I have also found another company that offers 25% off the QBE multi-trip insurance.

http://www.ouch.com.au

Also claim to offer triple FF points for the QBE policy. Is that a standard QBE perk till the end of the year, or exclusive to them???
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:29 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by NM
) and its now got 350,000km on the clock. I wonder how many it would show if that little plastic gear in the odometer had not been broken for about 18 months before I managed to find somewhere to get a new one?.
I used to own a Mazda 808 with a 5 digit odometer (in kilometres). After it went round the clock for the first time, I had to keep driving it so it got up to a believable distance for the car before I flogged it to some unsuspecting car dealer - who probably just wound it back again! Don't buy a used Mazda 808 (white with added rust).
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:21 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by og
Don't buy a used Mazda 808 (white with added rust).
Ahh, the two tone "paint" job
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:24 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by NM
Ahh, the two tone "paint" job
I used to call it "bird turd".
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG-OW Sapphire, AA nobody, Marriott nobody, Velocity-where everybody's a nobody,Hertz#1 Club Gold
Thanks for all the replies folks ^ After finally having the time to wade through all the T&C's of my Westpac Altitude Gold Mastarcard & Amex the free TI works well for me -I'm running with that....

Thanks again.... where would I be without the QF forum of FT ^
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dazer
Thanks for all the replies folks ^ After finally having the time to wade through all the T&C's of my Westpac Altitude Gold Mastarcard & Amex the free TI works well for me -I'm running with that....

Thanks again.... where would I be without the QF forum of FT ^
Not sure if anyone noted it in the thread (As I didn't read all of it) but after a call to westpac about the TI on a redemption ticket with which taxes and what not were paid for on my my Altitude Gold card, I was told that it was *not* covered. If it had been booked through Altitude Direct (The travel store using altitude points, not QF points) then it would be covered. If this has changed I'd like to know as I have an international redemption ticket and am taking it in a few months so would like to not have to bother buying a seperate policy.

Drew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.