Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Free Qantas Domestic Flight with AMEX Platinum Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Qantas Domestic Flight with AMEX Platinum Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by CdaWorld
Yes received the invitation and am accepting it just for the free flight. Good to have it if I need it though I'd probably save it until I requalify SG or achieve WP!

I'm still waiting for my invitation, should get it this week some time. What details does the invitation ask from you? (as in income, existing credit etc)
Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:49 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, QF Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by netaddict
I'm still waiting for my invitation, should get it this week some time. What details does the invitation ask from you? (as in income, existing credit etc)
It is a pre-approved card but it does ask for annual income so they can assign a credit limit.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 4:02 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Also preferential fees available for some people - know a mate who is a member of a certain legal society who used to get a free Amex Gold, and has been offered this for $295.

Spitting that they want me to pay $395 -- still cheaper than a return Red E-deal Syd-Per by a big margin

I've enquired re the Insurance package - seems reasonably comprehensive - Emerg Medical to $2.5mm, Baggage / goods to $10k -- however does require the entire fare to be charged.
Still trying to get to the bottom of whether this includes situation where fare bought on points but taxes paid by the card (entire cash payment is still on the card)
Old Oct 17, 2005, 2:16 am

Programs: qf wp
Anyone booked a free ticket yet? I upgraded from the Amex Rewards Maximisers ($144/year + $36 supp card) to the Plat card, so my PER-???-PER flight will effectively cost only $215. Very good deal as it includes all the taxes/surcharges. Insurance/concierge type stuff doesn't really interest me.

I got the new card about 3 weeks ago, and have received 3 "would you like to upgrade to New Plat" letters in that time! Bulk Mail Marketing - we'd call it spam if it was email!

Flights have only just become available last week, so anyone grabbed one yet?

I think the best way is for those with partners, get the Amex free ticket for her/him and you pay on a matching red-e-deal, so you at least get the SC and points.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 2:45 am

I can feel a trip to Perth is going to happen for me in late Jan/early Feb.

Perhaps that is the right time to apply for my Amex trip...

I've only spoken to Amex Plat desk once since receiving my card (amazingly enough it was to activate it. It seems I didn't pass the "activation" check when I called and had to be put through to an operator). Operator seemed nice enough. Definately no hint of an Indian accent, but instead seemed like an ex-pom.

So when I apply for my flight I'll post how I go....

(Oh, and I was very happy for Amex to give me the lowest possible Credit limit for the card. A fraction of another bank which trusts me with spending money wisely! Can't be bothered going through the paperwork to increase it - will just leave it till they feel like upgrading me... )

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Oct 17, 2005 at 3:11 am
Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I've only spoken to Amex Plat desk once since receiving my card (amazingly enough it was to activate it. It seems I didn't pass the "activation" check when I called and had to be put through to an operator). Operator seemed nice enough. Definately no hint of an Indian accent, but instead seemed like an ex-pom.
The Platinum card team are in Australia so you shouldn't get any Indian operators.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 5:39 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Question

Now that a few people appear to have this card is there any feedback?
+ve ^ or -ve

Has anyone used the "Platinum Priority Service," booked a free flight, used "Entertainment Advantage" etc @:-)
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:33 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Well, I upgraded from Amex Gold to Platinum, as well as getting supplementary cards for Mrs QF WP (to replace her Gold one) and a business card (I have found Amex reporting better than CB Platinum).

Got the first two cards (wife's and business) 10 days ago. She rang to activate hers at 9pm at night - got the Mumbai call centre. I activated the business one at the same time.

Got my card on the following business day and rang at 8pm, got an Australian call centre.

Definitely looking at using the flight benefit, but may use it for F-i-L or stepM-i-L who don't have status. Would rather get points and SC's.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 11:13 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
FHR and other benefits with OZ Plat card?

Are you able to book FHR (Fine hotels and resorts) rates when you have an Australian AMEX Plat card? In the rate details it generally specifies that you have to have a Plat card but noone has mentioned this so far. Anyone with the card knows whether you can call AMEX and book this rate over the phone in Australia?
Old Nov 24, 2005, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA LPLT, SQ Gold, QF, BA, UA, AS NB, Bonvoy LPLT, HH Gold
Any Promo's Yet?

Anyone seen any lures/promo's yet for the new Amex Platinum Credit Card yet?

Any further reports on the card, particularly anyone been able to book the free flight?

Thinking of making "that" call to Diners this week.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 4:39 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Pah! That just means he went to school in England!
Old Nov 26, 2005, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by shillard
Pah! That just means he went to school in England!
Or, perhaps she went to school in LAS !
Old Apr 16, 2006, 6:54 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Any one had any experience yet of booking the free flight?

I am starting to think I may have difficulty fitting it into my schedule, other than just doing a (non) mileage run, which seems a bit if a waste .

I can allocate it to someone else

I guess I could check with Amex but is the following extract from the rules a bit unclear as to when the flight needs to be taken? I would have thought the wording led to the conclusion it had to be taken in the year following the issue date but the sentence about booked in that year creates some hope in my mind that it may be a longer period to actually take the flight?

You are entitled to one Flight in each full year of Platinum Credit Card membership. A year is 365 consecutive days starting on the date your Platinum Credit Card is issued or any anniversary of that date. Your Flight must be booked before the end of each year. Flight benefits cannot be carried forward to any subsequent year.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Amex confirm that the flight needs to be booked in the membership year but can be taken beyond the year. ^
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Hi,
I just noticed an offer of Westpac's Amex Altitude Platinum.
$295/yr, including a Altitude Plat M/C, plus usual intl. travel insurance & other benefits
Earning 4 points per dollar spend (Altitude points redeemable @2:1 for QF FF miles) until October, when it reverts to 3 points per dollar. Also redeemable for NZ & Malaysian miles.

How would you rate this compared with the Amex plat CC, for a smallish ($10-20k) annual spend? (Will any third-party Amex CC issuers be able to match the Amex Qantas flight offer? )

http://www.westpacinfo.com.au/platinum/points.cfm
Cheers ^
Ben

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.