Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas IFE & AVOD Systems

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Malaysia Enrich, Priority Club
Oh well, as long as it wasnt you that had trouble! I had the skybed last time i flew to Hong Kong on QF83, i am a tall person, and i was sitting in 1B, so i accidently squashed my ankles against the wall when i didnt know how to use it!
Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi there,

I have never flown on a QF Airbus but I am going to be flying on QF9 SIN-LHR on the 13th September. Any information if the 'Longreach' aircraft have been fitted with AVOD yet? I read somewhere that they would be introduced from August 2005?

Thanks in advance and I sorry for disturbing the Airbus convo
Old Sep 6, 2005, 6:19 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Avod...

Originally Posted by lucab1982
Hi there,

I have never flown on a QF Airbus but I am going to be flying on QF9 SIN-LHR on the 13th September. Any information if the 'Longreach' aircraft have been fitted with AVOD yet? I read somewhere that they would be introduced from August 2005?

Hello lucab1982, This is the info I have so far and this is what I posted in another thread RE: QF and AVOD

Currently QF 744 VH-OJS 'Hamilton Island' is the only 747 in the fleet with AVOD. By the end of the year/December the following planes will have AVOD up and running:

* VH-OJI
* VH-OJJ
* VH-OJN
* VH-OJU
* VH-OED
* VH-OJE

I think by DEC 2007 (if I remember correctly) all QF 744s will have AVOD.

Also, VH-OJH goes in for it's upgrade from 2 Class Dreamtime to 3 Class on the 16th December. It takes up to 50 days to change the config from 2 to 3 class. I would also think that QF will install AVOD during this time so it might be safe to say -OJH will have AVOD early FEB.

Regards
Old Sep 6, 2005, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by lucab1982
Hi there,

As QF NB posted, one 744 now has AVOD. As you fly in one week the chances are <4% that you will have AVOD. In the far more probable event that you do not get AVOD, you will have programs on a 2 loop to choose from. The actual content depend on the cabin class of travel:

First/Business (from Australia)

Economy (SIN-LHR)
Old Sep 6, 2005, 7:38 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by serfty
As QF NB posted, one 744 now has AVOD. As you fly in one week the chances are <4% that you will have AVOD.
Actually, its probably better chance than that. Consider that QF9 is always a 3-class 747-438, that narrows it down to one of about 12 aircraft. The GE-engined 744's and 744-ERs usually operate trans-Pacific (although not exclusively).

I believe VH-OJS is a 3-class aircraft. But I think OJI and OJJ (the next two in line for AVOD installed according to QF NB) are actuially 2-class aircraft. So I assume they are being done at the same time as the Skybed install. So that means the chances of AVOD on QF9 will remain constant for a while.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:00 am

Correct..

Originally Posted by NM
I believe VH-OJS is a 3-class aircraft
Yep that's correct.

Originally Posted by NM
But I think OJI and OJJ (the next two in line for AVOD installed according to QF NB) are actuially 2-class aircraft. So I assume they are being done at the same time as the Skybed install. So that means the chances of AVOD on QF9 will remain constant for a while.
Correct again. VH-OJI "Longreach" is actually going in for the Skybed and AVOD upgrade this weekend*. OJJ goes in around a month's time. Hoping that QF can speed up the process of AVOD upgrades but I realise the 744s are on a tight schedule.

Also, I've heard that QF are close to announcing their massive aircraft order. I've read that their decision is due for release in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully QF are going 777-300E/R and 787. Also interesting to see whether QF will take up Air Canada's 777 slots (due for delivery early 2006 I believe) as I am sure QF would love to have more aircraft ASAP.

Regards

* = Subject to change
Old Sep 7, 2005, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by QF NB

I think by DEC 2007 (if I remember correctly) all QF 744s will have AVOD.

Regards
I think it might actually be 2006 for all routes between SYD/MEL and LHR. OZ/USA flights are always last to get the goodies thanks to the little competition UA provide.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:11 am

Programs: BA, BMI, NZ, SQ
From the Qantas website today...

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...vod?lk=promoau

"Audio and Video on Demand (AVOD)
You're in control

With Audio and Video on Demand the control is in your hands. You can choose to start, pause, fast forward and stop any of our 300 audio and video programs whenever you like.

In Economy, choose from:

30 Movies
120 TV programs including destination guides
20 Radio Q Channels
120 CDs
10 Games
Plus, create your own play list with the new audio jukebox.

In Business and First you will have an additional 30 movies to choose from. That's up to 60 in total.

Audio and Video on Demand is available on all our A330-300 aircraft. It is also being progressively introduced on all B747-400 aircraft from August 2005 until January 2007."
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Malaysia Enrich, Priority Club
Hmm the days are going down slowly. Hopefully it will go down with out a hitch. I wish they had the 3D airshow system though.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 8:41 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I flew SIN-PER on a brand, spankin'-new A330 with AVOD (Is that Audio/Video On then Done?). It didn't work well at all, many problems, mine was out most of the time after I'd watched a few sitcoms.
On the way back PER-SIN was on a 744, excellent--though I can't remember if it had AVOD. To be honest, I'd rather have an old PTV that works than one that promises AVOD and then you get a blank screen! These flights were not overnight, so it was nice to have when it worked.
Of course, I was paying S$248+ for the return (thanks Valuair for the competition!), so I really can't complain, right?
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman
I flew SIN-PER on a brand, spankin'-new A330 with AVOD (Is that Audio/Video On then Done?). It didn't work well at all, many problems, mine was out most of the time after I'd watched a few sitcoms.
On the way back PER-SIN was on a 744, excellent--though I can't remember if it had AVOD. To be honest, I'd rather have an old PTV that works than one that promises AVOD and then you get a blank screen! These flights were not overnight, so it was nice to have when it worked.
Of course, I was paying S$248+ for the return (thanks Valuair for the competition!), so I really can't complain, right?
I highly doubt your 744 PER-SIN had AVOD unless it was *VH-OJS* that operated the route.

The 333 is a great aircraft ^
Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:18 am

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum OW Emerald
Had my first flight on an A333 with AVOD today, did not experience any problems at all, was very easy to use, and was quite impressed with the system. I have been told that my continuing flight will be OJS, so fingers crossed for the same lack of problems!
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:15 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum OW Emerald
Originally Posted by QF32
Had my first flight on an A333 with AVOD today, did not experience any problems at all, was very easy to use, and was quite impressed with the system. I have been told that my continuing flight will be OJS, so fingers crossed for the same lack of problems!
An update from this flight, it was indeed OJS, but the AVOD wasn't quite as good as on the 333. Everytime there was a PA, it stopped the video, and I lost a minute or so. Not much of a problem as I could rewind, and no one else seemed to have that problem - lucky me!
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
better that than for the non-avod where the tape keeps playing during a long announcement on the PA
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by QF32
An update from this flight, it was indeed OJS, but the AVOD wasn't quite as good as on the 333. Everytime there was a PA, it stopped the video, and I lost a minute or so. Not much of a problem as I could rewind, and no one else seemed to have that problem - lucky me!
That's how the AVOD works on a 333 as well.

In June I had a MEL-BNE flight on a 333 and they had it on PA for 80% of the entire flight showing standard Domestic Sector Mainscreen fare.

When PA is on, you have no control at all.

After seeing the same episode of K&K or an Andrew Denton Interview several times, FlightPath is always far more interesting.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 26, 2005 at 5:21 pm Reason: URL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.