Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

$149 Mystery Flights back for easter ex-MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2005, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat

Sharing the Spirit Mystery Flight: $149 per person (all inclusive). Price includes a day return flight to an Australian mainland capital city with a minimum of eight hours at the destination. A choice of departure dates is available: Good Friday, Easter Saturday or Easter Sunday.

Mystery flights can be purchased through Qantas Business Travel on 1300 659 115 between 10am and 4pm Monday to Friday.
I bet you they wouldn't earn FF points/SC's since they're charity flights, but in the good old days Mystery Flights DID earn points. I even got a double points bonus out of AN for a trip to BNE one time. LOL.

Anyone know either way?
Old Mar 19, 2005, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
In an unsuccessful browse of the QF site to look at these, I did find this deathless suggestion:-
Be the first to know about our lastest specials
I'd rather they kept them coming.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 5:19 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
I bet you they wouldn't earn FF points/SC's since they're charity flights, but in the good old days Mystery Flights DID earn points. I even got a double points bonus out of AN for a trip to BNE one time. LOL.

Anyone know either way?
I guess you could ring up and ask. Would depend on how they have set it up I would imagine. But I wouldn't count on getting them, but you never know.

The only spot on the QF website I could find it was as a news article.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 5:22 am
Original Poster

yes I was planning on calling on Monday but thought maybe there was a chance someone else already had or knew - to save time and effort - and someone might actually find it of interest!
Old Mar 19, 2005, 7:03 am

To bring this totally off topic (Sorry everyone), DJ are also having a joy flight on Easter Friday from BNE.

http://www.virginblue.com.au/about_u...ood_friday.php

it's 1 hour, costs 97.30 and supports a charity they support.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is the link to the QF web site Victorians Encouraged to Take to the Skies for a Good Cause Does not say on the web, put in the newspaper it stated no FF points.

These flights would not be possible if it was not for the dedication of Qantas staff, including pilots, flight attendants, reservation and airport staff, who volunteer their time for the flights, and our partners and suppliers who donate fuel, catering and waive landing and air navigation charges
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:47 pm

I doubt FF points could be earned on any of the destination flights - they'd fit under the definition of "charter" methinks.

As for the mystery flights, wonder what fare class they'd book it at? Maybe the standard award booking class (X?) - therefore no chance of points even if you managed to get your FF number registered.

I'd be keen on the Uluru trip - but for me, no flights get into Mel at the right time in the morning, and the last plane back leaves 5 mins after the Uluru plane comes back in. Quite a pity really as it looks like a great trip.

When will Qantas 'share the spirit' to Qld I wonder?
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:06 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Sharing the Spirit Mystery Flight: $149 per person (all inclusive). Price includes a day return flight to an Australian mainland capital city with a minimum of eight hours at the destination. A choice of departure dates is available: Good Friday, Easter Saturday or Easter Sunday.

Mystery flights can be purchased through Qantas Business Travel on 1300 659 115 between 10am and 4pm Monday to Friday.

Anyone know either way?
RichardMEL, where in the quotation you provided does it mention that the mystery flight is a charity one???

Sure, current promotions like the Longreach Easter Flight (SYD/LRE) are designated a charity flight; but perhaps you are either mistaken or you haven't supplied all of the information in the quote provided...but based your comment on the missing data.

Golly, if N and O fares can earn points and SC's; why can't these?? They used to earn me points and flight status in the old TN/QF days (I trekked to SYD and MELas well as TSV and CNS multiple times). Aaahhh, those were the days

P.S. Have now gone to the link provided and I would agree with comments above that it would seem to be those mystery flights over Easter would fall under the "charter" comments in the story...

Last edited by QF WP; Mar 19, 2005 at 10:17 pm Reason: adding postscript, editing speling
Old Mar 20, 2005, 7:34 am
Original Poster

OK, it is clear the trips to alice springs, hobart (looks like I'm doing that one on Friday.. really to test my QP access.. oh.. and to give to charity... really!)... but my point with the mystery flights is this.... they say it's to "A capital city" with "at least 8 hours there" - that sounds very much like the old mystery flights they used to do (incidently AN booked those in A class-but they'd post as B class.. weird, no idea what QF booked 'em in)... I'd imagine they could certainly book them in X class which would make sense, or perhaps one of those funky group rates that don't earn points - but I was thinking for these they'd be utilising regular QF services just as the old MF's did... in which case they're not REALLY charters....

Let me put it this way - I'd do one if I thought there was a chance to get some points out of it (SC's really).. but I prob. wouldn't do it if I couldn't get SC's (specially as I'm going to do the HBA one anyway).

I will phone and ask. You never know...
Old Mar 20, 2005, 8:02 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
OK, it is clear the trips to alice springs, hobart (looks like I'm doing that one on Friday.. really to test my QP access.. oh.. and to give to charity... really!)... but my point with the mystery flights is this.... they say it's to "A capital city" with "at least 8 hours there" - that sounds very much like the old mystery flights they used to do (incidently AN booked those in A class-but they'd post as B class.. weird, no idea what QF booked 'em in)... I'd imagine they could certainly book them in X class which would make sense, or perhaps one of those funky group rates that don't earn points - but I was thinking for these they'd be utilising regular QF services just as the old MF's did... in which case they're not REALLY charters....

Let me put it this way - I'd do one if I thought there was a chance to get some points out of it (SC's really).. but I prob. wouldn't do it if I couldn't get SC's (specially as I'm going to do the HBA one anyway).

I will phone and ask. You never know...
It all depends on how they have set them up. Who knows, they may be charter flights with all the mystery flight people going to the same destination. But they may also just be empty seats on regular flights as well.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 9:41 pm

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Originally Posted by perthite
It all depends on how they have set them up. Who knows, they may be charter flights with all the mystery flight people going to the same destination. But they may also just be empty seats on regular flights as well.
Looking at the QF timtable for this week, it looks like those mystery flights are more likely to be empty seats on regular flights since there aren't any 'irregular' flight numbers.

As for as for the day trips to Hobart and Uluru, clearly they are once off charters, QF6620/6621 would be the Uluru flight (operated by a B734) and QF6623/6624 would be the Hobart flight (operated by a B738).

Would still be interesting to head off for a day trip like this (with the mystery of don't know where you might ended up at!)

I reckon it would be a bargin if QF actually put you on a PER flight, now this would be nice!
Old Mar 20, 2005, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Well I just phoned up and grilled the nice agent.

As feared - no FF points/SC's for the trip. When I asked what booking class they were using.. after a big pause (I think she was thinking 'why is this guy asking??' ) she said it was a group booking class (as I suspected).

lots of conditions on these ones:

- no checked bags (well)
- no FF's
- No seating preferences will be allowed (!)
- normal QF checkin deadline of 30 minutes applies
- when tix issued (credit card only) the e-ticket receipt will show full flight info.
- flights are regular commercial flights - departures between 0600-0800 and return between 1900-2000.
- non refundable/no changes(etc etc)

I think I'll pass - don't want to get up that early!
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:18 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Well I just phoned up and grilled the nice agent.

As feared - no FF points/SC's for the trip.
<snip>
- no checked bags (well)
- no FF's
- No seating preferences will be allowed (!)
...and no Friday availability when I phoned 48hrs ago!!

BD
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by RickyT
... As for as for the day trips to Hobart and Uluru, clearly they are once off charters, QF6620/6621 would be the Uluru flight (operated by a B734) and QF6623/6624 would be the Hobart flight (operated by a B738). ...
Funnily enough the 73H scheduled for the HBA trip is our old friend VH-VXB (also known as Yananyi Dreaming). It is scheduled inbound QF670 from ADL tomorrow morning, then off to DRW as QF816 after the 5½ hour visit. (It's strangely scheduled to take 2 hours MEL-HBA, 8:30 10:30.)

The 734 to AYQ is VH-TJU scheduled inbound QF795 from CBR tomorrow morning, then off to BNE as QF636 after the 6 hour Yulara visit.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 8:03 pm

So did anyone go on any of these flights?

What was it like???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.