Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Needed - ATH / LHR Flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2005, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF
Advice Needed - ATH / LHR Flight

I need to get back to London after some time in Athens in July of this year and would appreciate any tips on the best way to do this. I would prefer to fly BA is possible, however this is not a big issue.

As it is only a one-way trip, I was quoted over $1000 to fly BA by my travel agent one-way (how damn ridiculous), yet only approx $400 to book a return trip and not turn up for one of the sectors. Would it be any cheaper to book online with BA?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 6:54 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
ATH-LON is served by both national carriers, Olympic Airways and BA direct to LHR. easyJet, the LCC also has direct flights to both LTN and LGW. Fares for one-way tickets with easyJet are obviously much cheaper than with OA/BA.

Check out ba.com and easyjet.com for further information and online bookings.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:05 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
For OneWorld airline you culd look for IB via Madrid or Barcelona.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MattSYD
As it is only a one-way trip, I was quoted over $1000 to fly BA by my travel agent one-way (how damn ridiculous), yet only approx $400 to book a return trip and not turn up for one of the sectors. Would it be any cheaper to book online with BA?
Usual story: You get a fully flexible ticket if you buy the one-way, but it'll be a very restricted return. If BA sold very restricted one-ways, they'd be much cheaper. But they don't, for all the traditional reasons.

On ba.com, the lowest fare looks like it's 250 + tax = 318.94, which is AUD 541.12 or USD 429.63. The way to book this at ba.com is to change the country of residence which shows at the top of the screen to the country of departure (ie Greece), and then to ignore all the subsequent warnings about BA only accepting credit cards issued in the country of departure. If they take the credit card, make a booking and give you an e-ticket number, you'll be right - there are quite a few reports on the BA forum of there being no problems with such bookings.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:44 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Yes, you're right. If I 'm correct I think there was a change of rules recently whereby you're allowed to purchase tickets from travel agents in other countries and have the fare issued from the country of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.