What do you do first in the office?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:19 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
What do you do first in the office?

After getting to work a little earlier this morning and spending time checking personal emails, FT, paying bills and scanning the USGS web for earthquakes (true), I was wondering just how many other FTers do the FT "scan" before doing any serious work?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I sure do the FT scan first. Of course, today I didn't get in until 11am, and its 4:22pm and I still haven't finished my "scan".

If only I could get some HP's over here, I would be more inclined to knock off early, after this hard day at the office
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sure ^ I scan emails, share positions, and FT. It could almost substitute the morning coffee. Almost.

Don't forget the hourly scan throughout the day to keep me awake too!

Last edited by deeruck; Feb 16, 2005 at 2:39 pm Reason: Kindergarten quality morning spelling
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:41 pm

Isn't the question not "if" but "when" you visit the FT dealer for another hit ? Do you go before, or after, emails ??
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:45 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
...nothing like true confessions. This is also the first time I have seen every green light on the above postings.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:51 pm

Programs: QF WP, SPG Gold
I let my RSS Reader do the hard work on several forums I monitor informing me of new threads (especially this Qantas forum !). I also subscribe to more interesting threads so that I get an email notification of future postings.

So, I'm always "scanning" - but not necessarily online.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:01 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I live on my PC connected to the internet. So I scanning FT regularly during the time I am sitting here at my PC. I spend a lot of time of conference calls, and am often scannig while listening in on the calls.

First thing is email as my boss and most work collegues are in different timezones so they have been active while I have been asleep. Then FT and a few other forums as I switch between tasks throughout the day.

But definately not an alternative to coffee. I think I am addicted to both!
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NM
But definately not an alternative to coffee. I think I am addicted to both!
Me too!
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
A lot of the systems I support are utilised by shift workers so there's generally plenty to do as soon as I arrive at my desk. The first thing I do is to deal with any of these that are urgent, then set notifications/transfers./schedules for the rest.

Then there is my EMail inbox which needs to be addressed.

By then it's time to plunge a coffee and a quick look at AFF, then FT.

It's sometimes hard to resist going straight to FT, especially when I have PM or post reply notifications.

Last edited by serfty; Feb 16, 2005 at 5:24 pm
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Our computers aren't net connected, and even if they were I doubt my employer would be impressed if I was to surf on worktime.

Dave
Old Feb 17, 2005, 1:25 am

Wouldn't mind checking FT at work, but don't as it's not really acceptable under our usage policies and could get me into a little strife.

But while home, yep check it fairly regularly.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:32 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I guess working from home has its advantages .... and disadvantages. I can happily cheak FT during what would be normal business hours for most folks, but I am also checking work during what most people would consider FT-hours of the evening as well as the wee hours of darkness when collegues in other climes are awake and "in the office".

Europe is on line now, and USA east coast starts in an hour or so ...
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:05 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
1st thing in the office

Check e-mail
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:47 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
I used to be addicted...turn up at work, turn on computer, fire up emails then log into FT. I'd alternate between work and FT until morning tea, but also at the end of any big "job", I'd relieve my mind with a quick FT surf.

However, I realised how much time I was spending on FT (along with Mrs QF WP telling me); so I put my self-imposed exile in place during work time. Now I'm much more productive at work, earning more $ and happier that I have re-balanced.

Today, I'm off work sick, so catching up with what's been happening over the past few days...

Last edited by QF WP; Feb 17, 2005 at 9:48 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.