Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An Award Booking Experience

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up An Award Booking Experience

I booked a Oneworld 35000 mile award JNB-MAD-(LHR)-GRU-EZE-(SCL)-UIO-(MIA)-LAX-SYD for 240000pts

I had wanted 1st but there was only availability on one of the long-haul sectors (LAX-SYD) and there was no availability SYD-JNB in any class in Dec 2005 so had to end the trip in SYD rather than JNB. Also was booked in economy MIA-LAX as was told a business class award doesn't entitle you to 1st class domestic US travel on 2 class flights

Watched for availability on the QANTAS website and when a SYD-JNB seat became available in 1st on Jan 18 2006, I rang and changed the ticket to 1st class - cost now 300000pts plus 5000pts change fee. I was also able to get LAX-SYD in 1st but not the other sectors.

With some BA award availability info provided by ropmot141 (thanks) on the BA board I was able to get the LHR-GRU sector upgraded to 1st and then the JNB-LHR as well. I also got 1st GRU-EZE and MIA-LAX. The LanChile sectors don't offer 1st.

The changes took 4 phone calls over about 6 days but as the ticket hadn't been re-ticketed yet it was all covered by the one 5000 pt change fee

I had to convert a 28 hr stop in LAX into a less than 24 hr transit as the maximum 5 stopovers is enforced (But as tinkybelle posted a while back transfers don't count as stopovers - the QFF rule wording is incorrect)

Only once was there a long wait (>2 mins) on the phone for this lowly bronze QFF but that wait was long - including 2 disconnections. All the telephone sales people I dealt with were friendly and helpful except for one who just came across as a bit officious.

Overall it took a bit of work but probably not much more than getting a revenue Oneworld RTW ticket reissued.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:10 am

Programs: MPO, QF, Avis Preferred, Gold Passport, SPG, HHonours, Golden Circle, Marriott
Cool!!

Note you are a "lowly bronze" so thats helpful to all the non-status Qantas Pub members in this forum.

I only say that with QF that as a status member, I've never had probs getting an award booking provided I booked early enough. I don't think that will change with the new system for status or non-status.

cardenio98
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cardenio98
Cool!!

I've never had probs getting an award booking provided I booked early enough.
cardenio98
BTW the segments JNB-LHR-GRU-EZE-SCL-UIO are from the beginning of March to April 2005 ie only booked between 4 and 8 weeks in advance.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:39 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
There is hope out there yet for those last minute low-status bookers of award travel (that there just may be some availability for them). Thanks for posting your positive story 3544quebec. The helpful people of FT strike again ^

Last edited by QF WP; Feb 4, 2005 at 8:40 pm Reason: need to update typing skills

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.