Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

SYD-MEL-HKG (QF2->CX104) and 5 hour connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-MEL-HKG (QF2->CX104) and 5 hour connection

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF, BA, LH, EK, IHG, HH, SPG, Hertz, RCCL
Question SYD-MEL-HKG (QF2->CX104) and 5 hour connection

We will have a 5 hour connection in Melbourne between our QF2 and CX104 flights in a couple of weeks and was wondering how easily would a quick trip to Queen Victoria Market be feasible.
From what I've read here QF2 is leaving from the SYD INT terminal and therefore a special domestic sticker would be put on your boarding pass in SYD if you were travelling only to MEL. Would they be willing to check us through (especially the luggage) and still put the domestic sticker if we tell them that we want to get out of the International terminal in Melbourne between the flights? If we have to clear immigration/customs in Melbourne to get out, are they likely to make any trouble if our bags are not coming out with us (assuming they could be through checked)?

Thanks,
-jani
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:24 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There is no problem with baggage/sticker being incongruous. I've done this in reverse (MEL-SYD-LAX, bag checked to LAX at MEL and left airport at SYD). Completely normal and easy to do. Your bigger problem is that taxi to CBD takes 30 min each way, thus you have 90 minutes in MEL, 2 hours if you push it but traffic can be a problem at times. I suppose it is worth leaving the airport, but borderline for 5 hours, would be better with a bit more time (but I suppose you want to fly QF2, don't know why unless you are in F there is not much difference to the normal SYD-MEL service).
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF, BA, LH, EK, IHG, HH, SPG, Hertz, RCCL
Thanks number_6....and yes for the F part, as it is one of our AONE segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.