Search

Quick, need to get to Thailand asap

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, HH Gold
Smile Quick, need to get to Thailand asap

Hi,

Any ideas guys on how to get from Townsville - Phuket asap? I understand that Phuket airport is closed due to flooding so I want to get to either BKK or SIN and go from there. Any help really appreciated. Doesn't seem as though there is much I can do until tomorrow morning but would really appreciate some input from seasoned asian travellers or those who know the area well.

Thanks so much!!

PP
Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:14 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Can't help with the travel, but there are still some BIG aftershocks happening (magnitude 6 & 7). Not a good place at the moment. Check out http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/
Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:34 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Got a phone call from Press Photog and helped where I could. Not easy when OW doesn't really help him get to Phuket quickly (because of the statutory overnight stay in BKK) and he misses out on some good SC's.

He's had to book TVL/BNE in QF J (at least some SC's here) then SQ BNE/SIN connecting to Silk Air SIN/HKT.

og, Press Photog is as his handle states - so where his employer says go, he's off.

Having been at Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket this time 2 years ago, Mrs QF WP and I are thankful that we didn't travel there this year...
Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QF WP
Got a phone call from Press Photog and helped where I could. Not easy when OW doesn't really help him get to Phuket quickly (because of the statutory overnight stay in BKK) and he misses out on some good SC's.

He's had to book TVL/BNE in QF J (at least some SC's here) then SQ BNE/SIN connecting to Silk Air SIN/HKT.

og, Press Photog is as his handle states - so where his employer says go, he's off.

Having been at Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket this time 2 years ago, Mrs QF WP and I are thankful that we didn't travel there this year...
And many thanks to QF WP for his great help! Now just packing my bags, organising cameras and doing a load of washing!

Will try and write from Phuket and let you know what it is like on the ground...

Thanks guys!

PP
Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:35 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by og
Can't help with the travel, but there are still some BIG aftershocks happening (magnitude 6 & 7). Not a good place at the moment. Check out http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/
Further to my previous comment, now that Mrs og and I have seen the area that was hammered by the 1964 Magnitude 9.1 quake near ANC, and doing extensive reading on the nature of the forces of nature at work (and effects on the natural and built environment - ie destruction), I can't even begin to imagine the terror that was experienced. Firstly the ground shaking, the noise (all without warning) - over and over again for a day then the tsunamis rolling in. If there was anything favourable, it was only that it was daylight when the worst happened.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Gee, it is getting worse by the hour. I see now they are talking about figures like 20,000. Still if you look back to an earthquake in China in 1976 that killed 240,000 this doesn't seem quite as large a shock even though it is still massive.

Currently sitting in the SilverKris lounge thanks to my J class seat to SIN waiting for the 10.55am departure. I asked at the service desk if they have wireless broadband and got a "No, sorry". Thought I might do some prep work anyway and when I fired up the computer, sure enough there was a wireless silverkris connection available. To cap it off, it is an open free network, no logging in, no $5 for 10 mins, plain old free. Nice, very nice.

The bummer is that I have just found out there is absolutely no accomodation available in Phuket. Anyone in Phuket reading this that can take a couple of billets paying good ol' British pounds? (and would like to make some good extra money as a driver/guide?)

Will be interesting to find out what version of the 777-200 flies SQ256. I see on http://www.seatguru.com/sitemap.html there are three versions and only one has the spacebed. Betcha it won't be the one I am on I am in 14C anyway so it appears that is a pretty good seat no matter what the configuration.

Anyway, thanks again for your tips (QF WP especially!)

PP

Last edited by Press Photog; Dec 26, 2004 at 4:34 pm
Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:50 pm

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
If you have trouble flying into Phuket, you could fly into Krabi and get a boat across, about a 2 hour trip from memory. @:-)
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by HeyAussie
If you have trouble flying into Phuket, you could fly into Krabi and get a boat across, about a 2 hour trip from memory. @:-)
BOAT????? PHUKET airport is OPEN. He should have no trouble getting there as planes are landing and taking off. It's accomodation he wants. Try looking for properties further inland as opposed to the seafront ones.

Krabi has been devasted by the tsunami as well. Phi Phi Island is almost entirely gone! I don't think there'll be many boats going anywhere!
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:31 am
Original Poster

In Changi airport now. GREAT flight from BNE-SIN! Now in seat 2A SIN-HKT in about 45mins. HKT airport was closed for a fair bit yesterday however is now open and flights are booked solid there now...

Thanks again guys!

PP
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:43 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Just spoke to Press Photog via an internet phone connection...amazing what technology gives us. His flight is 1hr 50m (with a 1 hour time zone change), so he should get there in about 3 hours from now.

Press Photog, the Travel Buzz thread on the tsunami ishere.

Hopefully you can get some good photos to go with the story. Look forward to an updte when you get there

Last edited by QF WP; Dec 27, 2004 at 2:52 am
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:52 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Press Photog
Gee, it is getting worse by the hour. I see now they are talking about figures like 20,000. Still if you look back to an earthquake in China in 1976 that killed 240,000 this doesn't seem quite as large a shock even though it is still massive.
THe issue with this one is the great area that has been affected and the number of nationas affected by it. Not sure how many natural disasters have caused havoc across such a wide area, in so many countries.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Krabi has been devasted by the tsunami as well.
I just got of the phone with the Ao Nang Villa Resort in Ao Nang, Krabi and was told that no effects at all were registered in the hotel and surrounding areas.

F.R.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Well, I am now stuck in Singapore until 8.55am tomorrow morning - thanks to a VERY VERY VERY VERY bad experience with Silk Air. HAven't got time to go into the details at the moment but I will hve to write a report about what happened. Very hard to believe...

PP
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:40 pm

Programs: QF WP, SPG Gold
I was going to suggest you say hello to my sister if you see her ... she's there on QF31 enroute to LHR ... but you've both left by now
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:59 pm

Post From the news services, Tues 28 Dec

Governments, aid agencies, insurers and travel firms are counting the cost of the massive earthquake and waves that hammered southern Asia...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.