Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Is 60 mins sufficient cnxn time from Air Fiji -> QF?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G 1MM, AA Gold, MR Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond

I currently have a ticketed reservation SYD-NAN-SYD, returning to SYD at 1150 on QF392 (operated by Air Pacific). I would like to book, as a separate PNR, QF926 which departs SYD at 1250 for CNS.

As near as I can tell, 60 mins is a valid connection time (i.e., Qantas.com will allow me to book it), but since both tickets would be in separate records, and I would be booking the second flight as a special fare, I wanted to ask the experts whether they thought that (a) this was a workable connection, (b) whether they thought I'd be successful in getting Air Pacific to check me in for the QF SYD-CNS segment in NAN, and (c) whether, if the NAN-SYD segment was delayed, would QF work with me to get me on the later flight from SYD-NAN?

Thanks in advance for any help or experiences!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:28 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
It's mighty tight. I can't demonstrate with hard statistics, but it seems to me that the FJ 744 flying NAN-SYD works on Fijian time (ie whenever it chooses to operate - rather than by the clock). Personally, I'd go for a bit more time unless you can be checked in at NAN through to CNS.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:18 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
I agree with og, that is just too tight for a Intl to Dom transfer when you have to clear Customs & Quarantine, then walk around to the domestic transfer desks and re-check in, wait for the next transfer bus and the drive around the tarmac; then up the escalator and you arrive opposite Gate 1. If your Gate is 10+, then you have a run to the opposite end of terminal.

Usually, I have found that the check-in staff at the Transfer Desk or QF will have already booked you onto the next departing flight if your inbound is delayed and you have linked PNR's (or they are all in the one); but I wouldn't count on this happening (didn't know whether it was an automatic function or merely because I was QF Plat/OW Emerald).

If they are separate PNR's, then you can ask them to be linked, however QF are under no obligation. If you miss the flight on a cheap ticket that isn't linked, then you have to trump up for the additional cost.

Much better for the blood pressure to give yourself some more time (I would plump for min 2 hour)
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
2 hours MINIMUM

I fully agree with QF WP. Two hours would be an absolute minimum, 2:30 is better.

The Buses at that time of day depart every 20 mins and take 10-15 for the transfer. It could take easily 30mins to collect luggage & get through customs etc. after landing.

More the point, the Cairns flight would commence boarding at 12:30 and close at 12:35. This really only gives 45 minutes.

If the inbound was late, even 15mins you would have no chance.

I believe Qantas have a standard minimim transfer time with their bookings of 75 minutes.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:29 pm

I wouldn't even attempt it. Fiji time is unreliable at the best of times...
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the information. I was able to arrange both flights NAN-SYD and SYD-CNS on the same record locator via QF with no trouble at all. I suppose the good news is that if all works well, I make the connection. If I misconnect, it's a 7-hour wait in SYD for the next flight, but hopefully with both flights in the same PNR, they should automatically protect me with having to deal with standby issues/refares/etc. (at least I hope)!
Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
OK, so Qantas will allow a 60 minute transfer.

Some advice if you do miss the connection (They do sometimes hold an onward flight until you can get over to T3):
  • As you wrote, Qantas accepted both flights in the same PNR and the onus in on them to assist you.
  • There is a QF flight to CNS from BNE at 15:25, Depending on the Day of the week, connecting flights to BNE leave SYD at 1:05pm (MT...), 1:35pm (WT) & 2:05pm (...,Sun) arriving 25 minutes after departure due to daylight saving.
  • They might offer you a Death :-: flight at 3:10pm; No FF points or SC's plus you would need to pay extra for food. If these are important to you then don't accept it. (FWIW QF926 is a lunch flight)
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:20 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by serfty
[*]They might offer you a Death :-: flight at 3:10pm; No FF points or SC's plus you would need to pay extra for food. If these are important to you then don't accept it. (FWIW QF926 is a lunch flight)[/list]
Death :-: means you haul the bags yourself. No interlining or assistance of any sort. You lug the bags over to T2 and join the queue. No frills, no thrills, no nothing (except a flight to get on first and get the seat of your choice). Not recommended.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:27 am
Original Poster

So much for a good plan

Well, after getting the tickets reissued, I got a call yesterday advising me that they never should have issued the tickets in the first place because 60 mins wasn't a valid connection time in SYD (you'd have thought they'd know that before issuing the ticket, but oh well...). Now they're trying to free up inventory on the NAN-BNE-CNS flights to avoid my having to do a 7-hour layover in SYD.

So I guess the saga continues. Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.