Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slightly OT: BA EC offers to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Slightly OT: BA EC offers to LHR

Received this by email today and particularly looking at the WT+ offer (not that I'm going to be able to use it, but somebody else might as it's great SC's and points)....

Dear Mr QF WP,

Europe is closer than you think - London from AUD1669*

Europe is closer than you think and now is the time to take that long awaited trip. British Airways is pleased to offer a special World Traveller economy class airfare to London from AUD1669* plus taxes of AUD225 for departures between 17 January and 24 February 2005.

British Airways is also pleased to offer a World Traveller Plus premier economy class airfare to London from AUD2268* plus taxes of AUD275 for departures between 17 January and 24 February 2005. World Traveller Plus offers a separate cabin at the front of economy class with more space to relax. Stretch out in comfort with wider seats and 7 inches more leg room.

(Editor: highlights mine)

While in London, enjoy a sidetrip to Europe on the above airfares. Choose from one of 24 cities including Aberdeen, Amsterdam, Belfast, Brussels, Copenhagen, Cork, Dublin, Düsseldorf, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Glasgow, Helsinki, Inverness, Jersey, Manchester, Milan, Munich, Nice, Newcastle, Paris, Rome, Shannon, Vienna or Zurich.

To accompany the airfares British Airways is offering a great rate of AUD69 per person per night at the 3-star Royal National Hotel in London. Centrally located close to Russell Square underground station, this hotel provides a perfect base for exploring the historical and cultural English capital. All rooms have ensuites and include continental breakfast.

(Editor: can't believe they are advertising the RNH - it's a dive but perfect for Contiki tour starts)..

Hurry, these offers end 31 January 2005.

To book, or for further information, visit ba.com, call British Airways on 1300 362 675 or contact your local travel agent.

Yours sincerely,

British Airways

*Terms and Conditions:
1. Prices as at 5/1/05 - may fluctuate due to changes in charges and taxes.
2. Above airfares are for departures from 17/1/05-24/2/05. Other seasonal sale airfares are available - please ask for details.
3. World Traveller economy class and World Traveller Plus premier economy class airfares and taxes are based on direct return travel from Sydney to London.
4. London Hotel offer: Prices are per person per night, based on two people sharing a twin room. Valid for stays between 17/1/05-24/2/05. Must be paid for by 31 January 2005.
5. All offers subject to availability and min/max stay, payment conditions and cancellation fees apply.

Last edited by QF WP; Jan 10, 2005 at 7:00 am Reason: correcting bolding error
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Wow, that WT+ fare is a steal. It's about what I'd usually have to pay as a supplement to the normal Y fare to get to Oz from here.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Wink

Exactly my thought too, Globaliser, considering that SYD or MEL/SIN is around $1150 + taxes (in BA WT+) and it's less than half way to LHR.

The total cost is about the high season discounted fare (~AU$2,400) flying QF...

Now, if only I could find some excuse to fly to LHR
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Thumbs down

... at the 3-star Royal National Hotel in London ...
Had the mis-fortune to say there for 2 nights once. This was like three nights too many!
... t's a dive but perfect for Contiki tour starts ...
Not sure even Contiki would use it. Imagine a 1600 room 3 storey motel. Rooms have a bed, a bench, a coat hook, a telly, a bath with shower, two taps, a shower curtain, a towel rail and 2-3 cakes of soap.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Serfty, they were using it as their base in Feb 1989 when I did a European Explorer 14 day trip (on which I met Brett Godfrey of Virgin Blue fame (infamy?) and shared many a beer!)

I still remember the room key on a foot long iron bar - which could be used to either mug people or as an additional bar across the back of your door (a sort of second lock if you will) to keep the unwanted out...

Back on topic though, that WT+ fare is good...if only I could go somewhere using it
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:07 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
They were using it several years later than that (probably still are using it).
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:35 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Hey, what do you want from a hotel room? As long as it is private facilities, I don't give an FRF.

I will quite happily fork out for J class on the flight, but as far as hotels go, they are places for me to leave all of my gear and then stagger back to at 5 in the morning for 8 hours sleep, and I am not usually in any condition (certainly not in London at least) to be worried about the facilities.

You are all a pack of wusses.

Dave
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
But if you are not alone in staggering back to your hotel you might care a bit about the facilities, or at least about some of them. My rule of thumb is to always book a four-poster, never know when it becomes essential.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:46 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
They were using it several years later than that (probably still are using it).
They still use it, walk past there a few months ago and the big C bus was in the inner carpark.

It isn't too bad if your on Contiki or like minded, there are a lot worse in this city.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Those fares are really good; especially with the side trips. Can an asian stopover or two be arranged as well? It's a pity I can't fit a quick trip into my schedule, but Feb is booked out for me.

Now, OT:
Originally Posted by thadocta
Hey, what do you want from a hotel room? As long as it is private facilities, I don't give an FRF.

I will quite happily fork out for J class on the flight, but as far as hotels go, they are places for me to leave all of my gear and then stagger back to at 5 in the morning for 8 hours sleep, and I am not usually in any condition (certainly not in London at least) to be worried about the facilities.

You are all a pack of wusses.

Dave
I suppose it has something to do with London Hotel prices, but would you really pay $138 per night to do that? There are better options in London and I have used them.

There's a room photograph in the gallery on this Web Site. Looke like one of the better rooms.

One of my memories is queing up for our morning rations.. err, "continental breakfast" comprising a plastic cup of Orange Drink, bread roll (aged), butter, jam, tepid dark liquid (coffee? tea?)...

I had booked two rooms together, one with a double bed for myself and Mrs serfty; the other with twin single beds for mini serfty and mrs serfty's mum. We were given twin bedrooms on different floors. We ended up with a double and a twin on the same floor with a 100 metre walk around a corner between them. (This place is BIG)

Here's a web site with some more interesting comments.

Quite a learning experience....

Now back OT...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.